Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: If they trade Letang, Scandy Riots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
McCann+Hornqvist@25% (3.975 cap hit, 1.325 retained) to Colorado for Kadri

Murray+JJ to Ottawa for a 2nd

Sign Chris Tanev 4 years 4 million
Sign Lafferty 2 years 1 million
Sign Simon 1 year 1 million
Sign Jarry 4 years 4.5 million
Sign Angello 1 year 750,000

We currently have 9 mil in cap space. This 15.75 million in cap, clears 7.225, leaving 275,000 in cap space.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Tanev-Kadri-Simon
Lafferty-Bleuger-ZAR
Angello

Dumolin-Letang
Petterson-Marino
Riikola-Tanev
POJ-Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

Good start for opening night.
I'd love Kadri, but I don't think the Avs are parting with him for anything short of a massive overpayment. They wanted him badly, they dealt a big asset to get him, and he's been exceptional for them since arriving. Even with Kadri, that 3rd line looks like shit, and the 4th line looks even worse. :laugh: Ottawa isn't going to take on ~$8 million AAV, and this team won't deal JJ without receiving a good player in return for him--which is an impossibility, because the entire world knows how bad JJ is except for our GM and coach.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Nobody available is going to be able to insulate JJ. Certainly not within our price range. :laugh:

As long as JJ exists within this organization, and he will until his contract ends or the GM and coach that adore him are fired and replaced, this blueline is going to be dreadful.

I said better than schultz, not that he’d actually be insulated. :laugh: But, yeah, they’re sinking the D with JJ and there’s only so much they can do if he plays. The best hope that’s attainable is probably POJ. He either carries JJ adequately in a sheltered role or pushes Pettersson down to do it. That’s their semi realistic JJ solution and I think it still ends in tears.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Lafferty over ZAR makes that 4th line better. Lafferty is faster and more physical than ZAR, is half decent on face-offs should they need someone in a right circle and the offense is essentially a wash though I think Lafferty generates more chances on his own. It also allows Left/Right wingers which Sullivan seems to like.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I said better than schultz, not that he’d actually be insulated. :laugh: But, yeah, they’re sinking the D with JJ and there’s only so much they can do if he plays. The best hope that’s attainable is probably POJ. He either carries JJ adequately in a sheltered role or pushes Pettersson down to do it. That’s their semi realistic JJ solution and I think it still ends in tears.
In a perfect world, POJ has a Marino-esque showing and forces the team's hand when it comes to moving out a LD like Marino forced Gudbranson out, but even in a perfect world, the LD they move is Petts as opposed to JJ. :laugh:

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I'd love Kadri, but I don't think the Avs are parting with him for anything short of a massive overpayment. They wanted him badly, they dealt a big asset to get him, and he's been exceptional for them since arriving. Even with Kadri, that 3rd line looks like shit, and the 4th line looks even worse. :laugh: Ottawa isn't going to take on ~$8 million AAV, and this team won't deal JJ without receiving a good player in return for him--which is an impossibility, because the entire world knows how bad JJ is except for our GM and coach.
You can shuffle the deck chairs of the bottom 6 a bit.

Maybe:
Tanev-Kadri-Lafferty
ZAR-Bleuger-Simon

Turns out okay pending Lafferty making some big strides during the season.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
In a perfect world, POJ has a Marino-esque showing and forces the team's hand when it comes to moving out a LD like Marino forced Gudbranson out, but even in a perfect world, the LD they move is Petts as opposed to JJ. :laugh:

Sadly, I think they’d just put JJ to 3RD if POJ did that. They’d need one of the RD prospects to also have a great showing to have a chance of making him a scratch. God knows they’re not moving that albatross without a miracle.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You can shuffle the deck chairs of the bottom 6 a bit.

Maybe:
Tanev-Kadri-Lafferty
ZAR-Bleuger-Simon

Turns out okay pending Lafferty making some big strides during the season.
Lafferty is just a young Tanev. They skate real fast, try real hard, they hit--but they're pretty bad offensive options. If we're going with a pure speed/aggression/energy angle, I guess that 3rd line works, but it does nothing to change the issues we've been dealing with regarding our 3rd line; Nobody has been able to take matchup pressure or production pressure off of Sid and Geno for years, and once teams shadow our top lines and dare our depth to beat them, we're toast. I like Kadri and think he's about as good a 3C as we can hope to land, but no combination of those bottom-6 wingers are a good combination on the 3rd line.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think Lafferty over ZAR makes that 4th line better. Lafferty is faster and more physical than ZAR, is half decent on face-offs should they need someone in a right circle and the offense is essentially a wash though I think Lafferty generates more chances on his own. It also allows Left/Right wingers which Sullivan seems to like.
I really want to like Lafferty, he shows some potential, gets in the line up and shits all over himself...the sooner we get rid of him the bettter

Reactions: Andy99

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Lafferty is just a young Tanev. They skate real fast, try real hard, they hit--but they're pretty bad offensive options. If we're going with a pure speed/aggression/energy angle, I guess that 3rd line works, but it does nothing to change the issues we've been dealing with regarding our 3rd line; Nobody has been able to take matchup pressure or production pressure off of Sid and Geno for years, and once teams shadow our top lines and dare our depth to beat them, we're toast. I like Kadri and think he's about as good a 3C as we can hope to land, but no combination of those bottom-6 wingers are a good combination on the 3rd line.
Hence why I said you may need to add a RW at the TDL if that combo isn't working.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sadly, I think they’d just put JJ to 3RD if POJ did that. They’d need one of the RD prospects to also have a great showing to have a chance of making him a scratch. God knows they’re not moving that albatross without a miracle.
It's a multi-layer issue with JJ. Not only does he require a significant asset to get a team to take him off our hands, but this team's GM and coach adore the guy, so the very idea of paying someone to take him is wholly unthinkable.

He's going to finish his contract, and probably career here, unless we fire JR and replace Sully. There's not a doubt in my mind about that, especially after seeing the Bjugs deal go down where we had to retain 50% to rid ourselves of a guy who is infinitely better than JJ at what he does.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hence why I said you may need to add a RW at the TDL if that combo isn't working.
I mean, sure, but what assets do we have left? Landing Kadri is impossible with how we've bled ourselves dry in recent years asset-wise, but even if we miraculously pry him out of Colorado, what do we have left to add a RW of some significance at the TDL?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Idk, I think Lafferty slowed down after a strong start. He’s better if he keeps up the higher level of play but if he doesn’t it’s a wash at best.

The bigger question to me is Poulin, Hornqvist, Simon and McCann. Depending on if Poulin is ready for the NHL and who is kept, it’s possible one of McCann or Simon is 4LW. Simon’s scoring would be an issue and McCann would make a hideously expensive L4 but whatever. That might be the competition for ZAR’s spot more so than putting Lafferty there.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's a multi-layer issue with JJ. Not only does he require a significant asset to get a team to take him off our hands, but this team's GM and coach adore the guy, so the very idea of paying someone to take him is wholly unthinkable.

He's going to finish his contract, and probably career here, unless we fire JR and replace Sully. There's not a doubt in my mind about that, especially after seeing the Bjugs deal go down where we had to retain 50% to rid ourselves of a guy who is infinitely better than JJ at what he does.

Nah, he’s at least got to be a Seattle candidate (JJ, Tanev, Hornqvist) and they’ll pay to get it done if they have to unless they’re rebuilding. JR and Sullivan will be distraught because they love him but that might be when he goes just because of age and contract. They’ll still be paying a price but that might be the time he goes.

Sometimes I lie to myself.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I mean, sure, but what assets do we have left? Landing Kadri is impossible with how we've bled ourselves dry in recent years asset-wise, but even if we miraculously pry him out of Colorado, what do we have left to add a RW of some significance at the TDL?
Maybe the hypothetical 2nd I got for MM/JJ?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Nah, he’s at least got to be a Seattle candidate (JJ, Tanev, Hornqvist) and they’ll pay to get it done if they have to unless they’re rebuilding. JR and Sullivan will be distraught because they love him but that might be when he goes just because of age and contract. They’ll still be paying a price but that might be the time he goes.

Sometimes I lie to myself.
Yeah, I don't think Seattle will willingly take JJ without just as much of a payment as we'd have to use to get any other team to trade for him. :laugh:

The real issue is that JR and Sully should've been gone after the Isles series, imo. The roster has serious issues, but the guys at the wheel are willfully driving this team into the ground. I've said it a bunch, but this team, right now, is no different than the late-era Shero/Bylsma Penguins except that the core is 33 as opposed to 26.

Maybe the hypothetical 2nd I got for MM/JJ?
Yeah, I dunno. The TDL is always a crapshoot of lackluster guys going for way too much. We paid a 3rd for Marleau, I can't imagine a 2nd gets us a dramatically better player.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, I dunno. The TDL is always a crapshoot of lackluster guys going for way too much. We paid a 3rd for Marleau, I can't imagine a 2nd gets us a dramatically better player.
Well perhaps we don't go for a pending UFA at the TDL but instead go for someone signed until 21-22.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
One year less on his deal and one more team that needs players. JR and
Sullivan could be gone. Still a bad payment would be needed.
I think we'll either miss the playoffs entirely, or get embarrassed in the 1st round again this season (assuming huge changes aren't made to the 3rd line and blueline between now and then), and we'll rid ourselves of JR and Sully approximately 2 years too late. But, I don't think they're in charge of things by this time next year, so maybe JJ won't finish his contract here after all.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think we'll either miss the playoffs entirely, or get embarrassed in the 1st round again this season (assuming huge changes aren't made to the 3rd line and blueline between now and then), and we'll rid ourselves of JR and Sully approximately 2 years too late. But, I don't think they're in charge of things by this time next year, so maybe JJ won't finish his contract here after all.

Yeah, I think they could fix L3 and the D depending on POJ but they probably won’t do what needs to be done with JJ and they’ll see a round 1 exit.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Roland McKeown is gonna be on waivers and might be an upgrade over JJ, Ruh and Riikola. Probably one of the better all-around d-men in the A the last couple seasons. Just can’t catch a break behind such a deep NHL team.

Also still very young and a righty. Could go Johnson - McKeown or Riikola - McKeown.

Also has that Vellucci connection.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, I think they could fix L3 and the D depending on POJ but they probably won’t do what needs to be done with JJ and they’ll see a round 1 exit.
If JJ gets a sweater ANY other moves that can be viewed as ''helpful'' will automatically be mitigated. That's how profound of a detriment JJ is. He needs to go! This is absurd at this point. How obvious does it have to be for the brain trust of the team to realize this?

Reactions: Andy99

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If JJ gets a sweater ANY other moves that can be viewed as ''helpful'' will automatically be mitigated. That's how profound of a detriment JJ is. He needs to go! This is absurd at this point. How obvious does it have to be for the brain trust of the team to realize this?

Pretty much. It’s trying to push a boulder up a hill and the boulder is covered in grease.

The crazy thing is that I’m sure numerous people within the org do realize. Iirc, the analytics department was pissed when they got ignored about signing him. JR has to know on some level or he gets told a lot personally because his media tantrums are not the signs of a confident man. They definitely know the swaths of the fanbase have dedicated countless hours to complaining, outside media mentions how bad he is and sometimes the Pittsburgh media gathers the courage to point it out. Sullivan for all his ridiculousness with JJ has had lucid moments where he scratched him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pretty much. It’s trying to push a boulder up a hill and the boulder is covered in grease.

The crazy thing is that I’m sure numerous people within the org do realize. Iirc, the analytics department was pissed when they got ignored about signing him. JR has to know on some level or he gets told a lot personally because his media tantrums are not the signs of a confident man. They definitely know the swaths of the fanbase have dedicated countless hours to complaining, outside media mentions how bad he is and sometimes the Pittsburgh media gathers the courage to point it out. Sullivan for all his ridiculousness with JJ has had lucid moments where he scratched him.
First off this shouldn't have happened in the first place! He shouldn't have been signed! And for five years? JR just can't or more likely WON'T own up to this mistake. This is like Semin. Just a terrible move and he doesn't know when to cut bait. He should have been removed after the Habs beat us in four! Him and Sully. I'm holding out hope he'll be moved! The ULTIMATE in addition by subtraction!

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
First off this shouldn't have happened in the first place! He shouldn't have been signed! And for five years? JR just can't or more likely WON'T own up to this mistake. This is like Semin. Just a terrible move and he doesn't know when to cut bait. He should have been removed after the Habs beat us in four! Him and Sully. I'm holding out hope he'll be moved! The ULTIMATE in addition by subtraction!

This will never not boggle my mind. One of THE worst FA signings I've seen since i began watching hockey. f***ing Mark Eaton signed off his couch was a better defenseman

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Sully's scratched him, what, 3 times? Maybe? One of those times was to get Maatta back in the lineup against the Isles last year, I think, so that's not even a "Scratch JJ because he sucks" thing as much as it is a "We have a $4 million AAV defenseman sitting, and could use a change". I think the other two scratches were some weird illness that wasn't technically deemed an injury, but he wasn't ready to play, if I remember right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad