Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Everything is proceeding as I foreseen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That bottom six is going to be the death of us. If the top six doesn’t score the bottom six sure as hell won’t unless GMJR pulls a rabbit out of his ass to get some higher end depth there.

Each time we won the cup our bottom six was our competitive advantage. As currently shown on paper that’s a lot of bleh.

I would say it's more important than ever that our bottom six become an advantage because the big guns aren't exactly outclassing the opposition anymore.

If the expectation is to contend this year, then look at what Tampa just ran as their third line. Gourde and Coleman produce like legitimate top 6 forwards and they were 2/3 of their 3rd line this year.

XXX-McCann-Tanev ain't close to that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Chicago dropped Hossa, and LA had some depth created by moves just as the playoff came about and added Carter the first year who plays both wing and center, and the following cup they won they brought in Gaborik. They were flooded with top six caliber wings.

You are limiting it to wings, but top six talent was dropped for all of those teams.

When did Chicago drop Hossa? You’re full of shit dude. He was part of the Saad, Toews line in 2013 and 2015 and had the most regular minutes with Sharp who was the 2C in 2010.

Chicago’s cup team in 2010 is the only team with legitimate top six talent littered in their bottom six. And that was largely because of ELCs. They also had Kopecky and Madden playing regular minutes so let’s not act like it was murders row.

LA’s offensive depth blew. Dwight King, Trevor Lewis, and Nolan were all regulars that dressed night in and out.

Last edited:

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
bus-pusher.gif
Excuse me, What?

Reactions: Kasperi kapanen

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
When did Chicago drop Hossa? You’re full of shit dude. He was part of the Saad, Toews line in 2013 and 2015 and had the most regular minutes with Sharp who was the 2C in 2010.

Chicago’s cup team in 2010 is the only team with legitimate top six talent littered in their bottom six. And that was largely because of ELCs. They also had Kopecky and Madden playing regular minutes so let’s not act like it was murders row.

LA’s offensive depth blew.

Only examples I can think of are when Richards dropped to the 4th line for LA in 2014 (but he was trash at that point) and Sharp/Teuvo playing on the 3rd line for Chicago in 2015.

But like you say, Saad, Kane, Hossa and Toews were top 6 mainstays during their 13 and 15 Cup years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Only examples I can think of are when Richards dropped to the 4th line for LA in 2014 (but he was trash at that point) and Sharp/Teuvo playing on the 3rd line for Chicago in 2015.

But like you say, Saad, Kane, Hossa and Toews were top 6 mainstays during their 13 and 15 Cup years.

Sharp was 4th and 3rd amongst forwards in terms of TOI in the 2013 and 2015 playoffs.

Teuvo is fine to cite, but if we throw in a player like Poulin on the 3rd line I don’t see how this roster is much different than any of those Kings and Chicago’s teams sans the 2010 team and the age of our core.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
GMJR is a clone? The embodiment of every GM that came before him? Able to conjure up whole fleets of Uber Eats drivers to deliver PF Chang's?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So...the perfect target for the Pens to dump a ton of assets in acquiring and then re-signing above market value through Age 34?

I’m sure Killorn and Johnson would be successful in a top six role, but TJ’s game has really fallen off the past couple years. So to act like Tampa was just overloaded with top six talent this year is certainly a misnomer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
T.Johnson averaged 25g/48pts in 17/18 and 18/19. 5 years ago he was a PPG player. This past season he played at a 40pt pace. But prior to that? Yeah he was a top 6 player.

Largely driven by the fact he was playing the majority of his 5v5 time with Palat and Point and then Point and Kucherov.

I like TJ and Killorn, but acting like they are some top six threats that Tampa hid down the line-up to "stack their depth" is totally off base. Killorn and TJ blew this year. Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow was effectively their 2nd line and then they just put Cirelli with whoever they needed to.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I would say it's more important than ever that our bottom six become an advantage because the big guns aren't exactly outclassing the opposition anymore.

If the expectation is to contend this year, then look at what Tampa just ran as their third line. Gourde and Coleman produce like legitimate top 6 forwards and they were 2/3 of their 3rd line this year.

XXX-McCann-Tanev ain't close to that.

McCann has a better PPG than Gourde over the past two seasons and was actually a center.

I like Gourde a lot and think he's a better player than McCann, but I wouldn't say they are that far off especially considering Gourde was largely pencilled in next to Stamkos and Point last year and Point and Killorn the year before which greatly effected his production.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Tyler Johnson’s speed seemed to disappear overnight and he’s too small to be really effective without it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's so wierd. I'm so happy to see Simon piss off and Jarry signed. But I also know this management is going to f*** about with any good deed they've done with more idiocy.

Largely driven by the fact he was playing the majority of his 5v5 time with Palat and Point and then Point and Kucherov.

I like TJ and Killorn, but acting like they are some top six threats that Tampa hid down the line-up to "stack their depth" is totally off base. Killorn and TJ blew this year. Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow was effectively their 2nd line and then they just put Cirelli with whoever they needed to.
Yeah TJ is someone I can see them moving for some picks to restock.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

It's just not going to happen. Fleury wants to be a starter. Pens just made Jarry theirs. Fleury might be the story Blob Rossi pushes for more views but in reality the Flames or some other team will spend less to get him knowing the VGK are desperate to dump cap and will take anything back and it's just a matter of where MAF will waive to.

Pens will never work. Also let's be real if the VGK took Johnson + Pettersson and gave the Pens their 1st + MAF + Whitecloud then f*** the lot of you, I'll take that. I'd still want the VGK to eat 750k/yr of MAFs contract.

Reactions: Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For real though a team like Ottawa should be all over MAF. Owed 6.5 and 6 the next 2yrs and he brings fans to the arena in Canada with his resume, he'll be closer to home, he'll NEVER have a threat to take his job and they can get a first out of VGK for not retaining anything.

Like Sens send one of their 2nds to get a 1st + MAF. That would be a decent deal.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
:laugh: I doubt it happens but he’s coming back at some stage of his career.
Ideally I'd love for MAF to return as an ambassador for the team when he's retired. He's a fantastic bloke and anyone has an issue with him as a person should really just piss off.

Reactions: Trade

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
With Simon likely done in PIT, thoughts on bringing in Grabner on a possible cheap deal for the bottom 6? Still got wheels and can PK very effectively. 1 year 1M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad