Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread| 4 Days - TDL "Center" of Attention - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Has Palmieri been playing with a playmaking center like Barzal during most of that stretch?

I'm also talking about how Palmieri's a more natural shooter. Take a look at both guys' shots taken over the past half dozen years. Eberle's not a shooter. He's a skilled guy that can score you 20-something goals, but doesn't have a particularly good shot.

I mean, Eberle was put up a 34 goal, 28 pace and 28 goal season in three consecutive years prior to moving to the Island.

I dunno, excited to see how Palms works out in NYI. I've always been a fan since my Ducks days. I think people far overrate him though. I think he is a player that got to cash in on being one of the few skilled guys on the Devils and I'm curious to see how he does if he isn't the focus of every power play and as I said the Islanders currently have him playing on the 3rd line. Which was where he sat last time he was on a contender.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, Eberle was put up a 34 goal, 28 pace and 28 goal season in three consecutive years prior to moving to the Island.

Eberle needed to shoot almost 19% the year he topped 30 goals. When his shooting percentage isn't unsustainable he's fallen back into that 20-25 goal range, despite playing with an elite center.

Palmieri's scoring 25+ goals in New Jersey despite not playing with an elite center.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Eberle needed to shoot almost 19% the year he topped 30 goals. When his shooting percentage isn't unsustainable he's fallen back into that 20-25 goal range, despite playing with an elite center.

Palmieri's scoring 25+ goals in New Jersey despite not playing with an elite center.

I think this is where I don't think that is a positive. I look at the Devils over the past few years and ask who else would be scoring goals. I look at the Islanders team and their coach and question how he's going to use Palms.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
FYI Friedman just says he doesn’t think Flyers will move Laughton unless they can’t sign him and he said he’s not sure why that would be the case since Laughton loves being a Flyer...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not even sure Tanev-like contracts are that bad anymore. The cap situation isn't going to keep young guys on ELCs out of the lineup in the near future, and with the way this team is built, I can't see us legitimately competing beyond a couple more years--if we're even really a contender now, which I don't know if I agree with. We've seen these stretches of play before, and then the team bottoms out in the playoffs. Gonna have to see some life and guys making big dollars showing up, and consistently, once the post season starts before I'll be convinced there's a shot.

I fundamentally have problems with giving out big contracts to non-core players, but that's a situation where I'd support it because the Penguins are getting value back in a Zucker trade if they do that. In a vacuum, I hate giving big contracts to depth guys, but I'm much more open to it if:

1. The guy is young (as in like 27 or younger)
2. Signing that guy will let you use another guy as a trade asset to either recover assets or address another area on your roster
3. The contract isn't completely batshit stupid. Like sure, I definitely wouldn't do Laughton for 6 years at $4 million, but 4 years at $3.5 million is something I'd be fine with.

FYI Friedman just says he doesn’t think Flyers will move Laughton unless they can’t sign him and he said he’s not sure why that would be the case since Laughton loves being a Flyer...

Friedman also said that the Flyers haven't had any conversations with Laughton about re-signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot