Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|10 Games, I Want My 2 Trades..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
I guess this qualifies as making the case for trading for Dustin Brown...I don’t think they should consider him unless they can make him available to be selected in the ED...also, cap hit would require LA taking back Matheson or Petts contracts ...not sure there’d be interest...I’m also not convinced Brown has the wheels to play in Sully’s system...

HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - A blog Dustin case the Penguins go this route

LA fans seem to believe that he would not be available, they’re also making a bit of a run for the last playoff spot right now

Reactions: Andy99

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Zucker seems like a torts player in Columbus, while Laine's value is plummeting . If Columbus offered Laine for Zucker straight up, would you do it?

Laine could be the shot that has been missing from the power play and the sniper Malkin needs. He could also end up a mess, who knows.

But damn that top six could be amazing.

Jake - Sid - Rust
Laine - Geno - Kap

Oh, snap! Think about what you’re doing to one @Soggy Biscuit heart!

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think this is entirely true. We scoured the databases extensively each year to figure out who might be coming in, and the list of 3Cs that teams are willing to lose for fair prices every year is pretty small. You look at the trade prices and contracts handed out to some of the good 3Cs that did move - Coyle and JGP - JGP cost a 1st and 2nd and then signed for 6 x 5m to end at 33; I don't know how to evaluate Coyle for Donato + 4th, but Coyle signed 6 x 5.25m to end at 34.

Maybe not hardest, but it's not an easy position to find unless you're splashing around money, and it is also quite important.

I'm not saying lock up Blueger forever per se, just that I wouldn't want to be too cavalier about what he potentially means to us either.

The thing is "difficult to acquire for fair price" is different than "difficult to acquire", though. Having to pay a pretty penny for that position doesn't mean that position is one of the hardest to acquire. I'd also argue that those guys are more like 2Cs in a 3C role than an actual 3C. If your 3C criteria falls more in the "Sheahan" or "Bjugstad" territory, you have a bunch of examples of those guys being moved.

Idk, JR has done a shitty job at replacing Bonino since 2017, but he has also acquired Sheahan, Brassard, McCann, Jankowski and Bjugstad over that window. To me, the problem seems to be more "JR did a bad job with who he targeted" than "it's hard to get a good 3C". And honestly, I think McCann is a 3C caliber player and Sheahan and Bjugstad were good in their first years here, so I don't even think JR has done that bad of a job in the first place.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Zucker seems like a torts player in Columbus, while Laine's value is plummeting . If Columbus offered Laine for Zucker straight up, would you do it?

Laine could be the shot that has been missing from the power play and the sniper Malkin needs. He could also end up a mess, who knows.

But damn that top six could be amazing.

Jake - Sid - Rust
Laine - Geno - Kap

Hextall would say yes so quick he would collapse a lung

The asset value's great, but we'd really struggle with paying him as of the off-season.

Also, right now my guess is Jarmo lets Torts go before he lets Laine go.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Nobody here (or a delightful few) wants an enforcer/tough guy if he cannot play. That’s my point.

He’d make no positive difference, only mean we couldn’t roll 4 lines. He’s a plugger worse at hockey than most the guys we want to replace.

I’m fine with a buy low guy like Zach Sanford who was trending up but has been buried in the Blues collapse. He has size, can skate, play on special teams and score a bit. There’s upside there and he could be LW for lines 2-4 depending on fits.

If we cannot get even that, we are better off betting on Zohorna.

What’s awesome is that Burke is on the delightful few side........bye soft hockey..... and soon , bye sully!

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
And honestly, I think McCann is a 3C caliber player and Sheahan and Bjugstad were good in their first years here, so I don't even think JR has done that bad of a job in the first place.

This I agree with. Sheahan was fine, Bjustad was fine but injuries made him useless. McCann can be a fine 3C too with the right wingers.

The issue is JR was looking for gold and instead of building a third line was very narrow minded. He traded so many players without giving them time. Either he was impatient or him and Sully never discussed trades, so sully hated the guys he brought in.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The asset value's great, but we'd really struggle with paying him as of the off-season.

Also, right now my guess is Jarmo lets Torts go before he lets Laine go.

Thats why I think there is hesitation. We he just become a rental due to contracts? And idk what Jarmo's move is. He could let go of Torts but is he going to pay Laine what he wants?

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think Blueger is a capable third line center.

Gourde, Bozak, Eller, Bonino, Vermette. These are last five third line centers on each Stanley Cup winning team. I think it goes without saying but having a good, third line center is important, but by no means do you need a long-term fixture there. I agree that handing out long-term deals to bottom-six guys is just bad management.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
What’s awesome is that Burke is on the delightful few side........bye soft hockey..... and soon , bye sully!

.... and winning?

200w.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thats why I think there is hesitation. We he just become a rental due to contracts? And idk what Jarmo's move is. He could let go of Torts but is he going to pay Laine what he wants?

I think he's got to pay Laine what he wants, yeah. He just handed over Columbus' hope for a franchise centre for Laine. To then turn around and trade Laine for the best offer they get, which will not contain a player of such quality, would probably be very harmful for his job security.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I like Jarmo, good talent evaluator, good drafter, but I think he’s mishandled Columbus in going for it.

Like I get it was a big deal they won a playoff series but all those guys left, they had nothing to show for Panarin/Bob and spent more on Dzingel, Duchene, etc. Idc about your team history, one playoff series win, even over record setting TB, is not a big deal.

Then Laine for Dubois when you have Torts. Value is fine but everyone could see this coming. They got Roslovic but unless it clicks, which I doubt, that’s a tough move to lose your 1C.

Feel like he could’ve swallowed his pride and sold off back a couple years ago, recouped assets and Columbus would have super bright future.

Instead, they’re just gonna have to go through same thing with Werenski, and then Jones. The cycle will continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad