Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What if we got the first pick and traded down to pick #2 and selected Byfield? Gives us a franchise center and an additional draft pick from the Kings to add to the talent pool.
If we're planning on trading the #1 pick, word on the street is that Ottawa would be willing to part with #3 and #5 to move up to #1.

I would still probably take Lafreniere, but I'd be really tempted to take the #3 and #5 picks if we could guarantee one of Byfield or Stutzle and Drysdale.

Reactions: Doogle and Rave7215

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
What if we got the first pick and traded down to pick #2 and selected Byfield? Gives us a franchise center and an additional draft pick from the Kings to add to the talent pool.

No and I'm a huge fan of Byfield.

Plus the NHL drafts have never been like the NFL drafts. Going from 2 to 1 is likely to net you a guy thrown in like Petterson like we did years ago to move up and take Fleury.

If we get #1, Lafreniere is the pick. He helps us right NOW. He's going to step in to any NHL team right now and produce off the bat. Byfield is going to need some time or he'll get ruined/not live up to his potential. He's one of the youngest guys in the draft. Whoever drafts Byfield should let him stay in juniors for another year.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
If we're planning on trading the #1 pick, word on the street is that Ottawa would be willing to part with #3 and #5 to move up to #1.

I would still probably take Lafreniere, but I'd be really tempted to take the #3 and #5 picks if we could guarantee one of Byfield or Stutzle and Drysdale.

I'd still turn that down. We have limited years of Sid/Geno left. Lafreniere steps in day 1 on the first or second line. Byfield/Stutzle may not play until year 2 and Drysdale shouldn't play for 2-3 years. I could see Sanderson being a better defenseman in the long run than Drysdale.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Lafreniere seems like a potential franchise player.

The others seem like possibly great players with an outside chance of maybe a bit more.

Seems like an easy choice. Wing or not.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Plus the NHL drafts have never been like the NFL drafts. Going from 2 to 1 is likely to net you a guy thrown in like Petterson like we did years ago to move up and take Fleury.

If we get #1, Lafreniere is the pick. He helps us right NOW. He's going to step in to any NHL team right now and produce off the bat. Byfield is going to need some time or he'll get ruined/not live up to his potential. He's one of the youngest guys in the draft. Whoever drafts Byfield should let him stay in juniors for another year.
I think anyone outside of Lafreniere is a guy that's gonna need a year or two of growth and development before he's really a threat to crack an NHL lineup and be an impact player. Doesn't make them the wrong picks though.

Again, I'd take Lafreniere, I'm pretty sure. But I'd seriously think about taking Byfield or Stutzle at 3 and Drysdale at 5 if it came to that. I don't think this team can compete for a Cup again with the Sid/Geno/Letang core. Way too much needs to be done in order to claw our way back to a competitive level. That's just me, though.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

Every mock shows Byfield going to LA. My guess is he wouldnt fall to three. Even if he wouldnt be there i think i would rather have 3 & 5 to be honest. IF we're saying Lafreniere is a great player but not generational like crosby (maybe like Tavaras?) AND this draft is extremely talented in the top 10, why not plug two holes in one draft? There are 4 LW in the top 10, a defenseman and a couple centers.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Every mock shows Byfield going to LA. My guess is he wouldnt fall to three. Even if he wouldnt be there i think i would rather have 3 & 5 to be honest. IF we're saying Lafreniere is a great player but not generational like crosby (maybe like Tavaras?) AND this draft is extremely talented in the top 10, why not plug two holes in one draft? There are 4 LW in the top 10, a defenseman and a couple centers.
The thing about Lafreniere is that he helps immediately and will help for the next 15 years. The other angle, to take the two guys, is more of a "okay, we can't compete any time soon, so let's load up and try again in 3 years or so". That's my position, though I don't think Lafreniere is really ever going to be the wrong pick.

I'm also of the school of thought that says long-term, sustained success is built down the middle; centers and blueliners. Lafreniere is an absolute gem, but at wing you'd still be looking for a center for that line long-term. If you draft a guy like Byfield or Stutzle and he hits his ceiling, you have either a Kopitar or Marner/Barzal, and in Drysdale you've potentially got a Makar or Doughty.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
If I were Ottawa, I'd take Stutzle (if Byfield isn't there) and Rossi. They get their local boy and I could see Rossi turning into one of the best players in this draft. They'd have their Spezza/Alfredsson type duo back.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'm honestly shocked at how many people are open to the idea of "trading down" if the Pens are lucky enough to actually land the 1st overall.

Lafreniere is everything this club needs.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
would not be against that. still hoping for 3&5 from the sen's:laugh: and then moving up a spot to get by

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
GMs are too p***y to trade a 1st overall of Lafrenière’s caliber. I really don’t see it happening

The last time it happened it was for Fleury in 2003 and Rick Nash in 2002.

Also, I want Lafrenière. Take the gift from the hockey gods and use him with Sid/Geno for another Cup. We don’t have time to waste :laugh:

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm honestly shocked at how many people are open to the idea of "trading down" if the Pens are lucky enough to actually land the 1st overall.

Lafreniere is everything this club needs.

He's not though. I mean, he's the immediate wow ELC talent we could really use, the extra swagger and problem solving, but this org is flush at wing, now and future. It has an uncertain future at C (even if that's long enough away to be who knows) and it's defence is so-so. If this was Dahlin or Matthews or MacKinnon this wouldn't really be a question.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's not though. I mean, he's the immediate wow ELC talent we could really use, the extra swagger and problem solving, but this org is flush at wing, now and future. It has an uncertain future at C (even if that's long enough away to be who knows) and it's defence is so-so. If this was Dahlin or Matthews or MacKinnon this wouldn't really be a question.

Yeah. And given what happen with Kessel is a play dictating winger really going to succeed with Pitt.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Are we though? We've got Zuck and Jake and Rust, who might still have consistency issues. I would think that immediately slotting him in in the top 6 would be a bit ridiculous, unless he blows everyone away. If we do draft an NHL-ready scoring winger, I'd like to see them brought along more like Jagr-- 3rd line duty, spot top 6 time, 2PP time to get some more seasoning.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Are we though? We've got Zuck and Jake and Rust, who might still have consistency issues. I would think that immediately slotting him in in the top 6 would be a bit ridiculous, unless he blows everyone away. If we do draft an NHL-ready scoring winger, I'd like to see them brought along more like Jagr-- 3rd line duty, spot top 6 time, 2PP time to get some more seasoning.

We have two 25 goal scoring wingers that probably put up 40-60 pts and a 40g 40a guy above them. I mean, I don’t know what Laf really adds there unless he is Ovechkin or Patrick Kane and even then is he top dogging Sid or Geno?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Lafreniere probably comes in and is our second best winger right out of the gate. May even challenge Jake, especially if Jake's shoulder is boogered up long-term.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There is no debate. There is not one NHL GM who would take anyone other than Lafreniere. There is not one aspiring GM who would take anyone other than Lafreniere.

Oh, if we win the lottery you can be sure that Penguins management will get flooded with calls. That's because of our reputation for win-now stupidity.

I appeal to Mario Lemieux's QMJHL roots and Sidney Crosby's Rimouski ties here. Do not listen to the offers. Take Lafreniere.

There is absolutely nothing to prevent us from trading Zucker, or Hornqvist or Rust or McCann or a combination of those players to find help at center and defense.

Lafreniere would be a massive upgrade on the wing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We have two 25 goal scoring wingers that probably put up 40-60 pts and a 40g 40a guy above them. I mean, I don’t know what Laf really adds there unless he is Ovechkin or Patrick Kane.

I don't think he'd hit that but if he really is the best talent in the draft, wouldn't we like to see some more scoring depth on the 3rd line? Or perhaps he'd actually be a better fit than, say, Zucker? I just don't see the point in trading the 1OA, unless the package we'd get for it would be absolutely mind-blowingly Lindros-esque insane?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
In short, I don't quite see where we'd be remiss in adding more firepower to the club, especially since that's been a major problem in the last several postseasons.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think he'd hit that but if he really is the best talent in the draft, wouldn't we like to see some more scoring depth on the 3rd line? Or perhaps he'd actually be a better fit than, say, Zucker? I just don't see the point in trading the 1OA, unless the package we'd get for it would be absolutely mind-blowingly Lindros-esque insane?

The idea with 3rd and 5th is you get two players that fill in desperate needs. A top six C prospect and a top four RD prospect.

Zucker has been incredible production wise since coming over. He is producing like Jake.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010

Our immediate need is someone not named Crosby/Malkin who can drive offense.

And I don't know if I'd say we're flush at wing since Conor Sheary is currently on our top line. Zucker and Rust are good top six guys but certainly aren't "let's pass on this free superstar" type cornerstones. I honestly wouldn't take either into consideration when drafting Lafreniere.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The idea with 3rd and 5th is you get two players that fill in desperate needs. A top six C prospect and a top four RD prospect.

Zucker has been incredible production wise since coming over. He is producing like Jake.

I'm not saying Zucker's bad, just that there's the chance to have an even deeper offensive team. One of the problems we've had since Bonino left is that the 3rd line and 4th lines are just pretty much offensive black holes. If we're serious about rolling 4 lines equally, you need at least that 3rd line to be better.

And then, the idea goes, if Lafreniere lives up to the hype you demote or trade one of the other wingers and put him in the top 6 permanently, but if he doesn't, you can keep him there or move him.

Getting two top 5s does change that a bit, I'll admit, but I'm still not entirely sure it's better than taking a top-flight winger who could step in relatively soon. I guess it'd depend on the final boards and who is actually available.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Even with Lafreniere, I don't think this team's good enough to make a run at a Cup. It's gonna take more than one move, even if that one move is landing a potential superstar winger.

You still need an entire 3rd line. You still need a 2nd pairing guy with offensive punch. You still need someone to play with Petts on the bottom pairing if you don't think POJ is ready yet. And, of course, you still need to ship out JJ, Bjugs, Murray, Hornqvist, etc.

Reactions: Doogle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad