Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I wonder what makes people think the next trade for 'a winger for Sid' will work better than any of the other ones.
Man, that is super simple. Player put up X points for his current team playing on X line with X linemates, but their pace over 82 games was actually X. If we could put them with Jake and Sid they would easily clear X points and automatically become like the 2nd or 3rd best player Sid has ever played with. Profit mate.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kapanen for Murray actually makes a ton of sense if the Leafs decide to move on from Andersen after this year. You have the GM and player connections:

1. JR drafted Kapanen and even tried to trade up to draft him with Nashville's 1st rounder
2. JR drafted his dad Sami while with the Hurricanes and had him as a valuable piece for like 7 years there
3. Dubas was Murray's GM in the OHL with Sault St. Marie

It addresses obvious needs for both teams. Murray's also from Ontario, which apparently matters to some Canadian teams. You just need the Leafs to decide on moving Andersen, after that it makes a ton of sense.

You know, it's funny, but where Murray's value is concerned, it doesn't seem like people much argue over it or examples of potential returns. The only questions are whether he fits a particular team's plans and how many teams like that there are (to see where in the pretty much establish 'possible return' range things will fall).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbf, while bringing in wings for Sid isn't a walk in the park, neither is finding the RW we want for him in a list of far off prospects, LWs, inconsistent complimentary pieces, and a prospect who may/may not be ready/actually a RW.

I'm happy to roll with the list if that's how far the resources go, but if we had a lot of resources I'd get a RW for Sid, and it'll surprise nobody if we're having the same conversation next year.

Kapanen for Murray actually makes a ton of sense if the Leafs decide to move on from Andersen after this year. You have the GM and player connections:

1. JR drafted Kapanen and even tried to trade up to draft him with Nashville's 1st rounder
2. JR drafted his dad Sami while with the Hurricanes and had him as a valuable piece for like 7 years there
3. Dubas was Murray's GM in the OHL with Sault St. Marie

It addresses obvious needs for both teams. Murray's also from Ontario, which apparently matters to some Canadian teams. You just need the Leafs to decide on moving Andersen, after that it makes a ton of sense.

Yeah, it all makes sense, just I'm not sure how Dubas does this under the cap if he also wants a RD, or for that matter how Rutherford does it if he wants an established platoon goalie and a 5-6 dman without getting undressed on Bjugstad/JJ trades.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d be inclined to say Murray for Kapanen plus Andersen...that getsToronto out of 8.5 mil or so in cap...I’d they can get MM to sign for $6 mil, they’ve saved a bunch

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’d be inclined to say Murray for Kapanen plus Andersen...that getsToronto out of 8.5 mil or so in cap...I’d they can get MM to sign for $6 mil, they’ve saved a bunch

A little pricey, but it's not a bad one year stop gap that gives the Pens a killer top 6 (to go with its killer top 4 on defense).

I'm no cap whiz. How does this play out? Enough money for Jarry and McCann? Anyone else? Before or after you move Bjugs?

Reactions: Andy99

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Well, Anderson is the best player in that trade. If they move anyone, for a cap dump, it would be nylander, and someone is going to pay out the ears. Anderson has one year left before UFA, even if they can’t sign him he gives the leafs the best chance at a cup.

Reactions: KIRK and NikoEhlers

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well, Anderson is the best player in that trade. If they move anyone, for a cap dump, it would be nylander, and someone is going to pay out the ears. Anderson has one year left before UFA, even if they can’t sign him he gives the leafs the best chance at a cup.

yeah, they would really have to like Murray to do this and not plan on re-signing Andersen...I think the Dubas-Murray connection was the reason for this speculation...you’re basically trading a 25 year old RFA Murray for a 3o year old goalie with only one year left on his contract...it’s Kapanen who is the cap dump so to speak or the price to pay for the Pens doing this...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
A little pricey, but it's not a bad one year stop gap that gives the Pens a killer top 6 (to go with its killer top 4 on defense).

I'm no cap whiz. How does this play out? Enough money for Jarry and McCann? Anyone else? Before or after you move Bjugs?

If you assume you can get Jarry for $2.5 mil, that’s $7.5 for goalies, which is fine...Kapanen at $3.2 would necessitate either 1) Bjug gets traded or LTIR or 2) the RFAs other than Jarry are not re-signed, including McCann, who people are higher on than I am or 3) ideally, JJ is traded

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Making said trade, signing all RFAs, and letting the UFAs walk means around $5m to $6m would have to go elsewhere. That's with a 25-man roster.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Rodrigues-Lafferty-Bjugstad

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Ruhwedel
POJ-Riikola

Andersen-Jarry

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

My version of the roster where Jarry gets 2.5m, McCann gets 3.5m, and Simon gets 1.5m, leaves you 2.4m over the cap with only 21 player slots taken up. You've got to move one of Bjugstad and JJ with very little cap coming back just to get there - only Bjugstad works if you want 22 players and some breathing space - and you've got a bottom pairing that's a worry unless you find even more money.

Meanwhile Toronto are now at 15 roster players with only 6.8m to fill it out and they still need a top 4 RD in the worst possible way and have just given up one of their better trade chips towards that.

I think both sides could only make this work if they got lucky on other deals - not to mention Toronto probably wants more in the trade and the version of Murray that makes this worthwhile probably wants more on the contract.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
If there's a player I want to snag from Toronto it's Zack Hyman. He can be our Hornqvist replacement.

Murray + Hornqvist for Andersen + Hyman would be a good basis for a trade. Although Pittsburgh would probably have to add a sweetener.

Then you trade Bjugstad and a late pick or meh prospect for a really cheap reclamation project type of player. This would work with a team with a bit of cap (Like the Ducks) that could either use him in the bottom six or buy him out for cheap.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kinda tangential, but is it possible Ruhwedel might have some minor trade value this summer? He's really cheap and wouldn't be the worst RD in the NHL dressing nightly. I can't imagine anyone being willing to give up what the team would want, but maybe as a scale balancer?

Or do I need to lay off the drugs again?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I mean. Good for us. For them they are adding tons of cap for at most a lateral move.
Well, Murray is probably probably going to get 5mil, and Andersen makes 5mil so that's a wash roughly.

Hornqvist makes 3 mil more than Hyman, so I suppose they could send us a cap dump the other way to even it out.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Kinda tangential, but is it possible Ruhwedel might have some minor trade value this summer? He's really cheap and wouldn't be the worst RD in the NHL dressing nightly. I can't imagine anyone being willing to give up what the team would want, but maybe as a scale balancer?

Or do I need to lay off the drugs again?
Ruh is the perfect kind of player to throw in a trade as a mild sweetener.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If there's a player I want to snag from Toronto it's Zack Hyman. He can be our Hornqvist replacement.

Murray + Hornqvist for Andersen + Hyman would be a good basis for a trade. Although Pittsburgh would probably have to add a sweetener.

Then you trade Bjugstad and a late pick or meh prospect for a really cheap reclamation project type of player. This would work with a team with a bit of cap (Like the Ducks) that could either use him in the bottom six or buy him out for cheap.

I'd love Hyman but isnt he an LW? Jake-Zucker. I aint putting those 2 on the RW.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
The way these cretins on the twatters and books for facing act I can't wait till Murray holds out and forces a trade, regains his form, shuts this tesm out every game and gives the finger to the crowd, then Jarry to fall into a rough patch ans start with the we shouldnt have traded Murray even if we hated him for forcing Flower out of town even if we wanted him gone also but thats beside the point. These slapdicks deserve it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wonder how drastic the changes will be if the Pens lose this round and lose the lottery.

Probably nothing drastic. I think it's most likely that JR attributes a loss to the Habs as being due to the break, with having to play against a rested Price and not having a chance to grow chemistry with the lines.

My expectations for an off-season after a Habs series loss while also losing the lottery is:

1. JR gives the 1st this year to Minnesota (a big mistake IMO)
2. Murray definitely gets moved, even if the loss isn't his fault. I completely expect Sullivan to go to Jarry if the Penguins lose another game against the Habs, regardless of how Murray plays.
3. JR probably tries to trade Johnson if he has more performances like he did yesterday
4. I think it's possible the Penguins move McCann and keep Bjugstad for next year, especially if McCann doesn't play well in this series. Have Bjugstad as the 3C and Blueger as the 4C for one year, and then let Bjugstad walk and have Blueger as your 3C and Lafferty as your 4C going forward.

I think the only big difference in the off-season would be that Murray is definitely gone (instead of just maybe gone) and guys like McCann are on the chopping block if they lose to the Habs. Otherwise, I don't expect anything major.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I'm not sure where this belongs but here we go.

If Sully goes who fits our players/team the best in your opinion?

Gallant? Lavs? Babs?:sarcasm: Anyone else have a wish list? Curious about thoughts on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad