Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salad Thread - ED of Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd take Tkachuk for Jake for the pure entertainment value alone. Similar players in terms of production but Jake's just so f***ing boring. At least if Tkachuk isn't producing huge numbers, he'll be annoying the shit out of the opposition and causing some havoc. When Jake isn't producing, he's miserable defensively and just kind of exists.

Then cue Jake tearing it up in Calgary and Tkachuk looking like James Neal with the cheap shot bullshit.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You speak with great authority and certainty that very little will happen, almost as if the off season already happened.

I still have a shred of hope that sleepy knows he can’t rely on our goalies next season. Also, Hextall was canned in Philly largely for sticking with an awful coach. I really hope he was told he can’t fire coach clown or wow, he failed to learn from past mistakes. Burke and Sleepy have to know that the top 6 wingers need a change as well.

Signing a free agent goalie and making a trade isnt unreasonable. Signing a goalie this off season is very easy.
This is boring. Take care. :laugh:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Probably the biggest concern I'd have with Tkachuk is his contract. I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice some production for some of the other stuff he would bring, but he's already making $1M more than Guentzel and will be due a new contract. Does it make sense to spend millions more in cap to have less production? I don't know. Maybe, but it's a huge risk and given Guentzel has worked amazingly well with both Crosby and Malkin, I can't see Hextall pulling that trigger.

If they could build something around Rust or McCann and maybe add POJ or something?

Reactions: T1K

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He also is in the same realm PPG wise as David Perron, Debrincat, and Pacioretty which I wouldn't label as elite.

Right, so since that's subjective, it's more useful to talk about his contributions in concrete terms, like top 10 production at his position...which he has. At age 23.

Guentzel is also 9th because he missed about 30 more games. 5 less points in that sample.

Anybody who's heard my spiels about Kessel knows I value durability too.

And obviously, one was playing with Crosby while the other played with Calgary's centers.

I advocated for Guentzel for Tkachuk earlier in the year. I'm not completely against it. I just see some concerns about Tkachuk especially given his playoff performances.

I think there's risk associated with any deal moving Guentzel. He's a great winger. But Tkachuk is on the short list of wingers I'd move him for, given what he could bring this team.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Right, so since that's subjective, it's more useful to talk about his contributions in concrete terms, like top 10 production at his position...which he has. At age 23.

Anybody who's heard my spiels about Kessel knows I value durability too.

And obviously, one was playing with Crosby while the other played with Calgary's centers.

I think there's risk associated with any deal moving Guentzel. He's a great winger. But Tkachuk is on the short list of wingers I'd move him for, given what he could bring this team.

I would only move for Tkachuk if he expressed interest in staying. Not trading Jake for a guy who wants to peace out after a year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Its hard to take anything you say seriously when you call the new GM "sleepy", its pretty immature and ruins any points you try to make
It doesn’t matter what I call him, most of the board is fine with the dont do anything to improve the obvious holes narrative. Hextall wasn’t hired to help the team in the short team, even if it’s so obvious what they need to do; am I right?

It’s just like last off season when the majority of the board defended Jank, Sceviour/Laff, Rodrigues, BART as the bottom six. Like how could you not see those 6 would be a joke? Many people probably still think BART is a legit third line.

I feel the same way this off season when seemingly most people are cool with the team standing pat and defending our crap coach.

Has the goalie market ever been flooded with so many players? Literally close your eyes and pick someone and he would be better than Jarry. Hopefully some of these guys played for the Kings or Flyers so that Hextall knows who they are. If you are unable to sign a free agent goalie this summer, you shouldn’t be a GM.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only thing I really want done is Rust shipped out for a Kapanen/Zucker-like return. Mid-1st rounder and a good prospect.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Thing is, nobody even disagrees with PensX. They're arguing with f***ing phantoms. Just bitching and moaning to hear their own voice. :laugh: Everyone, like down to the last person, probably agrees this team needs some form of change. Some of us think more major moves are needed, but to my knowledge nobody is like "Yo, this team rocks! Cup is on the way baybeeeeee!"

The disparity here is that PensX just can't wrap their head around the fact that this team has said, verbatim, they're happy with where they stand on everything. Coaching, goalies, skaters. Everything is peachy. Whether they actually believe it, I doubt it, but that says the team is fully prepared to ride this thing out with minimal to no changes whatsoever. At the very least, until we know for certain what the deal is with Geno's knee. There's no real point in stomping our feet and demanding action, or throwing around stupid facebook boomer nicknames like Sleepy--as if that's the f***ing height of cleverness or something. :laugh: PensX just can't grasp that, or simply refuses to, because it'd take away their one schtick--bitching about the GM's inaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad