Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Finally found an answer to this on an article on Kalle Kangas of all people

"First-round pick Brayden Yager, for instance, arrived at camp with just his skates, since he came straight from the draft in Nashville, Tenn."
6'4 200lbs and "hard to play against"

That's what you want to hear. Looks like his skating will need to improve but for a 7th round pick, nice to see some good words on him.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
6'4 200lbs and "hard to play against"

That's what you want to hear. Looks like his skating will need to improve but for a 7th round pick, nice to see some good words on him.
The good thing about young guys like that is he can improve it. When they get older (forget cutoff) they are what they are.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Corey Pronman of the Athletic has begun his annual NHL Pipeline Rankings. A player is eligible for his rankings if they are 22 years old or younger to start training camp. It includes players who have graduated to the NHL.

Penguins are 29th.

Yager is No. 1, Pickering No. 2. They are the only ones projected to be impact players (top six/top four). The rest, including Poulin, Blomqvist and Broz, are all "have a chance to play in the NHL" caliber.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Corey Pronman of the Athletic has begun his annual NHL Pipeline Rankings. A player is eligible for his rankings if they are 22 years old or younger to start training camp. It includes players who have graduated to the NHL.

Penguins are 29th.

Yager is No. 1, Pickering No. 2. They are the only ones projected to be impact players (top six/top four). The rest, including Poulin, Blomqvist and Broz, are all "have a chance to play in the NHL" caliber.
Shocked. Absolutely shocked. This shakes me to my core.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Penguins are 29th.

Yager is No. 1, Pickering No. 2. They are the only ones projected to be impact players (top six/top four). The rest, including Poulin, Blomqvist and Broz, are all "have a chance to play in the NHL" caliber.Y
Corey was on the Athletic podcast.

He said Pickering and Yager aren't elite players. But Pickering has a really good chance of being a top four defenseman and Yager has a really good chance of being a top six forward.

Says he is fascinated by our organization. Is confused by the direction. Interested to see us at the deadline.

Mentioned "can Yager be a center". Window is very short. Says its two years. Corey said Pickering is great. Very reasonable that Pickering is in the NHL not this season, but next season. Do we get impatient and move him?

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He said Pickering and Yager aren't elite players. But Pickering has a really good chance of being a top four defenseman and Yager has a really good chance of being a top six forward.

Says he is fascinated by our organization. Is confused by the direction. Interested to see us at the deadline.

Mentioned "can Yager be a center". Window is very short. Says its two years. Corey said Pickering is great. Very reasonable that Pickering is in the NHL not this season, but next season. Do we get impatient and move him?

I don't think Dubas is going to move either unless something he can't say no to turns up. Anything else apart, given how capped out this team is, there's going to be a fairly short list of places he can spend enough assets to make giving up Pickering make sense (but the counterpoint there is that small list of places will be quite expensive, so...).

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

I wonder if the thought is to see how POJ and Smith do this season while giving Pickering a heavy load in WBS.

If POJ and/or Smith fall flat, you move on and give Pickering a shot on the bottom pair next year behind Graves/Petts. If one of them really clicks - say POJ puts it all together and is a solid two-way defenseman - perhaps you explore moving Petts in his final year so you can spend his cap hit elsewhere.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I wonder if the thought is to see how POJ and Smith do this season while giving Pickering a heavy load in WBS.

If POJ and/or Smith fall flat, you move on and give Pickering a shot on the bottom pair next year behind Graves/Petts. If one of them really clicks - say POJ puts it all together and is a solid two-way defenseman - perhaps you explore moving Petts in his final year so you can spend his cap hit elsewhere.
Pickering still has one more year in Juniors before he can go to the AHL

Reactions: Giskard

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Way too lofty of "expected" totals for him.

In his "good" AHL half season (January 2022 to May 2022) he only scored 30 points in 51 games. Using NHL Equivalency for an 82 games that equates to just 19 points in the NHL. If we use his entire AHL career it drops to just 15 points.

Yeah yeah, we can expect him to improve. But improve at 1.5-2 times as much production? That's outlandish to me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Way too lofty of "expected" totals for him.

In his "good" AHL half season (January 2022 to May 2022) he only scored 30 points in 51 games. Using NHL Equivalency for an 82 games that equates to just 19 points in the NHL. If we use his entire AHL career it drops to just 15 points.

Yeah yeah, we can expect him to improve. But improve at 1.5-2 times as much production? That's outlandish to me.

Maybe. Depends how they use him. I'm obviously a little biased on the player though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm definitely pessimistic on Poulin's potential offensive production. Mostly because he was stapled to the WBS Top 6 and Top PP and barely produced.

However, I do think there's at least a 4th liner there.

That could also be due to who he was playing with. He was a rookie that was spending a lot of time with Legare IIRC, and their leading scorer was Puustinen with 42 points in 73 games.

I don't think it's a safe bet that he can become that 15-15 guy, but I don't necessarily think that his rookie year production in the AHL is a reason for that. I think it's more about him missing a year of development last year and being a total wildcard to see what he could be going forward. But the talent in WBS now is substantially better than it was in 2021-2022, so I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I feel like WBS is a large reason of this lack of production tbh.

That's certainly part of it. The added talent to WBS should help out the younger guys.

That could also be due to who he was playing with. He was a rookie that was spending a lot of time with Legare IIRC, and their leading scorer was Puustinen with 42 points in 73 games.

I don't think it's a safe bet that he can become that 15-15 guy, but I don't necessarily think that his rookie year production in the AHL is a reason for that. I think it's more about him missing a year of development last year and being a total wildcard to see what he could be going forward. But the talent in WBS now is substantially better than it was in 2021-2022, so I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Legare was almost exclusively bottom six in WBS. Poulin was Top 6 and often on the Top PP.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Legare was almost exclusively bottom six in WBS. Poulin was Top 6 and often on the Top PP.

Interesting, for some reason I thought that they were really running with Poulin at C and Legare on RW in Poulin's rookie year. Or at least the lineups I saw when I would randomly pay attention to a WBS game had Poulin and Legare together.

You've watched and followed WBS far more than I have though so you're likely right here.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Interesting, for some reason I thought that they were really running with Poulin at C and Legare on RW in Poulin's rookie year. Or at least the lineups I saw when I would randomly pay attention to a WBS game had Poulin and Legare together.

You've watched and followed WBS far more than I have though so you're likely right here.

There were definitely a few games where the lineups showed them as linemates but not that many.

Let me ask that lineup guru on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad