Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Who says we aren't?

True, I mean I didn't know we were in on ZAR until the Pens signed him, but I keep hearing the Oilers and Flames being front runners. Oilers make no sense, their defense is actually fairly solid for once, the Flames maybe though. We desperately need to add to our pool as well.

Hopefully he doesn't have Lyme disease.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
True, I mean I didn't know we were in on ZAR until the Pens signed him, but I keep hearing the Oilers and Flames being front runners. Oilers make no sense, their defense is actually fairly solid for once, the Flames maybe though. We desperately need to add to our pool as well.

If this is purely based on Dreger, he has a history of playing to the TSN base and only mentioning the relevant Canadian teams. Just because he only mentions those two doesn't mean those are the only two.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Has anybody heard news about Daniel Brickley? Undrafted NCAA sophomore from Minnesota State. 22 years old, 6'3", shoots left. Played for the U.S. at the World Champs. Last I heard back in March was that wanted to return for his junior year. But this tournament probably raised his profile and maybe he would sign a better offer now?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Dreger mentioned the Oilers and Flames, but he did not mention anything about American franchises. Does not mean there aren't 15-20 U.S. teams in on this guy. It only means five Canadian teams are not.

Secondly, he actually is a perfect fit for Edmonton. They need a right defenseman capable of quarterbacking the PP and playing behind Larsson and Benning. The Flames too make sense, since Wideman and Engelland are UFA's on the right side.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, Dreger's lost a lot of credibility for me over the years. He's closer to an Eklund than a Bobby Mac imo.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
One player I am keeping an eye on is LW Bokondji Imama, who played this season with the QMJHL's Saint John Sea Dogs. He was drafted in 2015 in the sixth round by the Lightning. They have until June 1 to sign him. He came into the 'Q' as an enforcer with Baie-Comeau, but exploded for 41 goals with the powerhouse Sea Dogs this season. He also scored 14 PPG and registered 105 penalty minutes and 225 shots on goal.

No idea why TB does not want to sign him, and I don't care. Since he turns 21 in August, I believe he cannot re-enter the draft this year and becomes a UFA (though that rule is always a bit fuzzy for me).

I would really like to add this guy to our prospects pool. We don't really have anyone like him in our organization.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
One player I am keeping an eye on is LW Bokondji Imama, who played this season with the QMJHL's Saint John Sea Dogs. He was drafted in 2015 in the sixth round by the Lightning. They have until June 1 to sign him. He came into the 'Q' as an enforcer with Baie-Comeau, but exploded for 41 goals with the powerhouse Sea Dogs this season. He also scored 14 PPG and registered 105 penalty minutes and 225 shots on goal.

No idea why TB does not want to sign him, and I don't care. Since he turns 21 in August, I believe he cannot re-enter the draft this year and becomes a UFA (though that rule is always a bit fuzzy for me).

I would really like to add this guy to our prospects pool. We don't really have anyone like him in our organization.

http://www.rawcharge.com/2017/5/26/...orial-cup-nhl-free-agency-saint-john-sea-dogs

Seems like an intriguing prospect.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Any young defensemen in the tournament that is worth discussing that isn't signed to an NHL team?

Edit:

Why are the Penguins not in on Jan Rutta?
6'3" RHD, puts up good offensive numbers, solid defenseman....sure we don't need that. The Oilers and Flames are in on him.

How?

Flames D: Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie - This would make sense, sure.
Oilers D: Klefbom, Nurse, Benning, Larsson, Russell (Chiarelli wants him back), and Sekera (back after a few months into the season).

We literally have a worse defense than the Oilers. Lmao...jesus. Flames make sense, but yeah.

Sounds like Hawks are going to get him...SHOCKER!!!

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Worth signing for the name alone.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So Filip Gustavsson signed an extension to stay in Lulea? I was hoping he'd come over and play in WBS. But I guess if you have Jarry, DeSmith, and even Maguire, it's not 100% necessary, but I mean if someone is interested in Jarry and we can get a top 6 forward out of it (like a Drouin type), a DeSmith/Maguire/AHL Vet would be in the AHL.

Kind of curious what the plan is with Tristan Jarry.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So Filip Gustavsson signed an extension to stay in Lulea? I was hoping he'd come over and play in WBS. But I guess if you have Jarry, DeSmith, and even Maguire, it's not 100% necessary, but I mean if someone is interested in Jarry and we can get a top 6 forward out of it (like a Drouin type), a DeSmith/Maguire/AHL Vet would be in the AHL.

Kind of curious what the plan is with Tristan Jarry.

2 ways they go about it:

-full confidence in him to backup MM at dirt cheap or
-spend 1.2M more or so on the cap(equaling 2M for the backup) to sign an experienced guy and have the security of 3 guys instead of just 2.

Think alot will depend if they have that $ to spend or not after paying raises + reup's + the 3C.
If they have it, they likely go with 3 guys route signing a backup for 1yr/2M'ish tops.

Last edited:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I don't see any scenario where Tristan Jarry gets you anything close to a top six NHL forward. Especially not a young Drouin-type.

Prospect goaltenders have little trade appeal if they aren't exhibiting starter potential as a consistent backup in the NHL. Even then, they tend to go for picks. Jonathan Bernier was a well regarded goaltending prospect, and had a few years as a quality backup to Quick, and got traded for a 2nd. Martin Jones got a first. That's about the best you can do. But they've got to be in the NHL, if they dominate the AHL, nobody cares.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I've been perusing around as well to see if PIT is in on any euro FA's, etc.
They were in on Antipin but that was before Botterill shipped off to BUF and they landed him.

Theres also 2 or more KHL teams closing up shop cuz they can't handle the finances.
Something to pluck some younger talent from possibly to see if they can develop.

As it stands we are at 25 player contracts for next season.
Need to sign: 3C, Archy, Sheary, Sunny, Dumo, Schultz, Corrado, 5 or 6 AHL guys and maybe Ruh and Pooh.
Thats 25 + 15 tops for only 40 contracts(50 is the max). Lots of room to bring in guys to see if you can develop them.
I'd look into the CHL FA's too like Beachemin who played with Sprong this year.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I could see Jarry as part of a deadline package for a real big fish.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Jarry is to good a prospect to be a throw in for a trade. He was and still may be a goalie that will put pressure on Murray to keep winning his job. Competition is a very good thing. One more year in the AHL and then who knows what the future holds. He will be the next influx of young cheaper players who augment the stars. Reese, Sprong, Sundvqist, begin the transition from Kunitz, Cullen, Bonino.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Honestly I don't see Jarry being dealt until/unless he establishes himself in the NHL (even as a back-up) or another team becomes really smitten with him. Young goalies just don't have the trade value to really dangle as trade bait. Of course a lot can change between now and the next deadline, but I think he's Penguins property for another season or two before moving him becomes a realistic option.

Once/if it looks like he's pushing for a starting gig then he'll get worthwhile trade value, but until then his value is likely lower than a late 1st/early 2nd round draft pick.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
One team that Jarry may have A LOT of value for: Las Vegas. Whether or not Vegas gets Fleury, they're starting from a clean slate with regards to prospects. Goalies typically take the longest by far to develop after drafting.

If the Penguins want to keep the whole team together or entice Vegas to take a particular player the Pens want to lose (Hagelin) instead of a player they don't want to lose (Hornqvist, Cole, etc.), danging Jarry as bait to may be extremely valuable. For a team like LV, Jarry may have more value than our 1st round pick.

I'm not saying I want to lose Jarry, but if the Pens believe in Gustavsson as much as Jarry, they may be fine letting Tristan go and still feel set in goal in the present and future. Similarly, Gustavsson may be a very valuable piece they could dangle to Vegas as well, although he'd have less value because he's not as established and further away from NHL duty.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There's going to be a glut of quality young-ish goalies available to Vegas in the ED. None of them will be quite as young as Jarry and we can argue about upside, but goaltending is one position I really can't see Vegas struggling with for a good chunk of time, and they won't need to spend an asset to be set there for a good while.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/870055224622292992

doubt the pens will get him now

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Can anybody tell me what prospects we need to sign in the coming months before we lose their rights? Is it Birks, Byron, Josephs, Tiffels and Pavlychev?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
What's up with the HF Pens page? It looks like it hasn't been updated in two years. :laugh:

Was Mike Johnston is charge or something?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
What's up with the HF Pens page? It looks like it hasn't been updated in two years. :laugh:

Was Mike Johnston is charge or something?

It probably hasn't been. That portion of the site was closed a while ago. Most of it's still up, but it's essentially an archive now. All that's left are the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad