Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bjorkqvist has had a really encouraging season, I was concerned after last year but that's now his 16th goal on the year. I always forget that underclassmen tend to produce less, it's not common for guys to start lighting up college hockey immediately. His progression is definitely promising. He probably stays in college for another year, but I'd be curious to see if he turns pro after next year or sooner.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Bjorkqvist has had a really encouraging season, I was concerned after last year but that's now his 16th goal on the year. I always forget that underclassmen tend to produce less, it's not common for guys to start lighting up college hockey immediately. His progression is definitely promising. He probably stays in college for another year, but I'd be curious to see if he turns pro after next year or sooner.

I like that his game grows when it matters. Olund too seems to kick it up a gear during play offs.

They coveted them but they also got Oleksiak for a 4th and Pedan in the Pouliot trade. And drafted Lauzon and whoever else is physical. It’s possible that reduced the value of Hall within the org.

At this point I think not only do you have to worry about him staying healthy enough to invest in him (Maatta had two shoulder surgeries close together and hasn’t had any reported problems there since), it’s also that if he can’t hold up being physical in juniors will he in higher leagues?

I think they lose his rights if he’s not signed and he can go back to juniors for another year. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Its possible, but personally I guess their attitude would be no such thing as too much of a good thing, particularly as there's no guarantee Pedan, Lauzon, Jones etc.etc. pan out at all. I guess if they're uncertain, having other better bets might tip them against him.

As might being a tough guy who can't even stand the physicality of juniors, yeah. That's not a good look.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Its possible, but personally I guess their attitude would be no such thing as too much of a good thing, particularly as there's no guarantee Pedan, Lauzon, Jones etc.etc. pan out at all. I guess if they're uncertain, having other better bets might tip them against him.

As might being a tough guy who can't even stand the physicality of juniors, yeah. That's not a good look.

Yeah, but that implies Hall is good. They may have thought he was and still think he is but he’s stagnated and gotten hurt again. It could be that having the better versions (large and/or gritty?) of him and getting them cheaply has made him look worse. The thing with Hall and other question marks is that he’s currently two years into not panning out.

The other problem is limited space. I don’t think he’ll get an ELC to count towards the contract limit but even in WBS and Wheeling they have prospects who may not be great but are probably better than Hall looking for playing time. If they sign any of the college guys or Euros that’s taking up space.

Of course the Pens found the fragile tough guy, though. Like a f***ing heat seeking missile.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Providence lost to ND and Penn St is getting thumped by Denver. No more Pens prospects in the NCAA tourny after tonight.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, but that implies Hall is good. They may have thought he was and still think he is but he’s stagnated and gotten hurt again. It could be that having the better versions (large and/or gritty?) of him and getting them cheaply has made him look worse. The thing with Hall and other question marks is that he’s currently two years into not panning out.

The other problem is limited space. I don’t think he’ll get an ELC to count towards the contract limit but even in WBS and Wheeling they have prospects who may not be great but are probably better than Hall looking for playing time. If they sign any of the college guys or Euros that’s taking up space.

Of course the Pens found the fragile tough guy, though. Like a ****ing heat seeking missile.

The big question is whether they still think he's good. They thought a hell of a lot more of him than most here to take him where they did, they've constantly talked up aspects of his games that others have criticised here. Two bad years or no, I still think its really possible they think he's good and worthy of inclusion in the annual WBS defensive thunderdome.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The big question is whether they still think he's good. They thought a hell of a lot more of him than most here to take him where they did, they've constantly talked up aspects of his games that others have criticised here. Two bad years or no, I still think its really possible they think he's good and worthy of inclusion in the annual WBS defensive thunderdome.

Yeah, but they could just be talking him up and you’d typically expect the “underrated” parts of his game to eventually result in more points. I think more than if they think he’s good it’s if they still think there’s upside worth pursuing. Maybe he ends up in the “we have 20 D after the nhl ones because everyone is always hurt” rotation next year. Maybe they walk away because the upside they saw never materialized and he keeps losing development time.

The other question is when he’ll be healthy enough to play and what shape his shoulder is in going forward.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Who does he remind you of?

Kind of reminds me of Jake a little. Middle size guy but isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. Good balance of skill and dig. I like his IQ... Maybe not a star but one that can play well off a star.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, but they could just be talking him up and you’d typically expect the “underrated” parts of his game to eventually result in more points. I think more than if they think he’s good it’s if they still think there’s upside worth pursuing. Maybe he ends up in the “we have 20 D after the nhl ones because everyone is always hurt” rotation next year. Maybe they walk away because the upside they saw never materialized and he keeps losing development time.

The other question is when he’ll be healthy enough to play and what shape his shoulder is in going forward.

They're almost certainly talking him up but I doubt they were being dishonest in their opinion while doing so.

In any case, don't wanna dismiss what you've said, they're all good points - just when averaged out with their previous regard for him, I didn't think it was certain they had no interest going forwards.

Most recent injury has changed my mind, that's surely a big red flag on a physical dman.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They're almost certainly talking him up but I doubt they were being dishonest in their opinion while doing so.

In any case, don't wanna dismiss what you've said, they're all good points - just when averaged out with their previous regard for him, I didn't think it was certain they had no interest going forwards.

Most recent injury has changed my mind, that's surely a big red flag on a physical dman.

Idk, I think there becomes a certain amount of saving face and optimism with what they say. He might get an AHL contract as the middle ground and if he fails he’s can hang out in Wheeling’s press box. I’d call that his best case scenario but maybe Guerin or whoever is in love.

I wish they could wait until after training camp to make a decision but I’m not sure he’ll be healthy then and I guess someone could swoop in. I suppose it’s possible they see the injuries as slowing his development more than a huge red flag. The other concern with the shoulder is that it sounded like he’d been dealing with it for awhile and we don’t know for how long. If it’s been for awhile since the first surgery I’d be more worried about it.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I'm really hoping that Daniel Brickley signs with Pittsburgh. Just from watching a couple videos: He makes smart pinches whenever the forward covering him turns his back, is not soft by any means, and has a rocket of a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad