Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Putting on weight may be best achieved with the Pens. They have the better training facilities/weight trainers and he would be getting advice from NHLers and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt being with Crosby. Also, he wouldn't be playing top line minutes so his body would be able to rest more/put on more weight.

Reactions: The Old Master

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Success in juniors (or NCAA or Euro leagues) doesn’t guarantee NHL success but a lack of success in juniors almost certainly guarantees you won’t be successful in the NHL, although there are some interesting examples of guys that seemingly bloomed waaay later in their careers.

They just replayed MJ’s last game on NHL Network but it wasn’t on their programming schedule so I only caught the last 6 minutes or so.

If Yager can’t go AHL I suppose WHL isn’t the worst option. Let him be the guy on Moose Jaw, then WJCs in a larger role. They seem to play responsible defensively under O’Leary. And unless they have some imports up their sleeve they will probably be sellers and Yager will be traded to a contender where he can gain even more playoff experience.

He’s not NHL-ready though. And unless he was not only NHL-ready but productive in the NHL I wouldn’t waste an ELC year in Pittsburgh.

If we sign him he can use his signing bonus to hire a nutritionist and part time trainer.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Success in juniors (or NCAA or Euro leagues) doesn’t guarantee NHL success but a lack of success in juniors almost certainly guarantees you won’t be successful in the NHL, although there are some interesting examples of guys that seemingly bloomed waaay later in their careers.
Rust is an interesting example of that. Never really lit it up that much anywhere he played but became a great NHLer.

Reactions: Jacob

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
All this weight talk about Yager reminds me of when Malkin was drafted and weighed 185 pounds and people on this board were talking about him becoming a 230 pound beast, ultimately culminating in the infamous "thin bones" post.

Malkin topped out at about 195 pounds at 6'3" and he's done alright for himself. Not everybody has to be built like Jagr to succeed in the NHL.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
All this weight talk about Yager reminds me of when Malkin was drafted and weighed 185 pounds and people on this board were talking about him becoming a 230 pound beast, ultimately culminating in the infamous "thin bones" post.

Malkin topped out at about 195 pounds at 6'3" and he's done alright for himself. Not everybody has to be built like Jagr to succeed in the NHL.
Yeah. I think what's getting lost in the shuffle here is you have to play a different game with a different build. And sometimes that game doesn't translate to the NHL, sometimes it does. Lots of smaller players just can't make that adjustment, just like lots of boxers can't necessarily fight at different weight classes.

And while the difference between getting hit by a player weighing 165 and one who tips the scales at 225 is night and day, I think a bigger issue is height/reach. You can always try to add mass. But you can't make a player taller or give them more of a wingspan.

Reactions: Gurglesons

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

They just replayed MJ’s last game on NHL Network but it wasn’t on their programming schedule so I only caught the last 6 minutes or so.

If Yager can’t go AHL I suppose WHL isn’t the worst option. Let him be the guy on Moose Jaw, then WJCs in a larger role. They seem to play responsible defensively under O’Leary. And unless they have some imports up their sleeve they will probably be sellers and Yager will be traded to a contender where he can gain even more playoff experience.

He’s not NHL-ready though. And unless he was not only NHL-ready but productive in the NHL I wouldn’t waste an ELC year in Pittsburgh.

If we sign him he can use his signing bonus to hire a nutritionist and part time trainer.
While you may very well be right, I'm not sure watching 6 minutes of the last game of the year, after slogging through the playoffs is the best sample size to judge if he can play in the NHL next year or not.

Unless you had a chance to watch him more on other occasions this year that I don't know about, and you're factoring that in too.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

100% RIGHT!

Reactions: SEALBound

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

two completely deferent types of players. and 170 from 185 is a big deference add to that at 6' 3'' you have a better reach that lets you avoid a lot of physical battles. I could see yager playing wing and just using his speed and shot and doing a good job at it. but that's not what he's been working for. He wants to be a defensively sound center. that can win battels not only along the boards but also in front of our net. to do that he needs to get big enough that he won't get rag dolled.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
two completely deferent types of players. and 170 from 185 is a big deference add to that at 6' 3'' you have a better reach that lets you avoid a lot of physical battles. I could see yager playing wing and just using his speed and shot and doing a good job at it. but that's not what he's been working for. He wants to be a defensively sound center. that can win battels not only along the boards but also in front of our net. to do that he needs to get big enough that he won't get rag dolled.
Yeah, I don't think the game he wants to play necessarily translates for him to the NHL, at least not as he currently is built. That's my concern.

Reactions: The Old Master

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario

My best buddy played for the Pens in 17-18 and then a good friend played there for a few years after that so I went to Pitt maybe 6 or 7 times during those seasons for games and meeting the guys, hanging out, etc... and I'd say maybe 1/4 of that room was listed at the proper height and weight looking back at it. I don't think they adjusted Malkins weight after his sophomore season; Recently you can tell he's slimmed down a bit but in '17, at his height, I wouldn't have been surprised if he was more in the 205 and maybe up to 210 range. No way Kessel was 208, or that Sheary was 5'9, or 185 or whatever he was listed at. A couple egregious height discrepancies to be sure :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My best buddy played for the Pens in 17-18 and then a good friend played there for a few years after that so I went to Pitt maybe 6 or 7 times during those seasons for games and meeting the guys, hanging out, etc... and I'd say maybe 1/4 of that room was listed at the proper height and weight looking back at it. I don't think they adjusted Malkins weight after his sophomore season; Recently you can tell he's slimmed down a bit but in '17, at his height, I wouldn't have been surprised if he was more in the 205 and maybe up to 210 range. No way Kessel was 208, or that Sheary was 5'9, or 185 or whatever he was listed at. A couple egregious height discrepancies to be sure :laugh:
Josh Jooris?

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Not saying they do. Just like you said. Acting like Yager is “just 19” and will suddenly be 200+ is really weird.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Malkin was definitely over 200 in his mid to late 20’s. You’re telling me he gained no weight from 2008 to 2020? No chance.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
5’11 170 is fine to play in the NHL…just look at Guentzel when he first came up

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Let’s shift this convo ab Yager and his weight, we’ve just gone in circles lol.

Any particular prospects you guys want the Pens to draft with picks 44 and 46? I think BPA is the best route but I hope there is still a good dman, preferably RH, on the board. This draft is loaded with dmen. Harrison Bruenicke and Linus Eriksson are my picks. I also really like Solberg but he’s rising FAST and might sneak in the top 10 a la Moritz Seider.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Not trying to rehash the Yager weight stuff but FWIW he talked a little bit about his conversations with the Penguins in this interview from a few days ago. Spoke with members of the player development staff and strength coaches about what to do in the gym and get stronger. Mentions faceoffs and defensive zone as something he's been trying to work on this year.

Pens related stuff starts at 2:00

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Let’s shift this convo ab Yager and his weight, we’ve just gone in circles lol.

Any particular prospects you guys want the Pens to draft with picks 44 and 46? I think BPA is the best route but I hope there is still a good dman, preferably RH, on the board. This draft is loaded with dmen. Harrison Bruenicke and Linus Eriksson are my picks. I also really like Solberg but he’s rising FAST and might sneak in the top 10 a la Moritz Seider.
haven't done any homework this year, because picking this low is so much a crap shoot. there are away too many variables to make a good guess. some one is sure to fall, but even then :dunno:but I'm not letting that stop me! thinking all the players that might drop no. one would be the Russians so
all of these could still be there. need to check with our russian scout Caser.
would be a nice home run swing

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad