Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | The Church of Farnhamtology

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Soooo..McDavid is almost at 3 points per game? wonder how he will translate to the NHL. Will he dethrone Crosby as best player in the NHL? or just all hype.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I was iffy on a Kesler deal and pretty relieved when it didn't happen, but Shero really did like to hoard his prospects... defensemen in general by the end, really. Except for that time he threw Morrow away for Morrow to go all in, which ended up sucking horribly. For me, the biggest thing was when he signed Scuderi and didn't trade Orpik. Orpik was bad, it's come out that he may have been an issue in the room, he still had value around the league and Shero had about a billion other defensemen, so he got nothing but a year of Orpik half assing it and signed Scuderi to that deal.

Shero put them in cap hell, iced a bad roster because of it, stayed his course and got fired. All after years of his problems catching up with him.

We certainly weren't/aren't anywhere near "cap hell". That's way over the top.

Take a look at other teams around the league. Being on the hook for a serviceable but redundant 3.25 mil defenseman for a few years and one useless piece of crap signed for peanuts for one more year isn't ideal, but it's relatively minor compared to what most teams are dealing with/had to deal with prior to the buyout amnesty.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I agree. For me, the biggest knock against Shero is not pulling the trigger on the Kesler deal, which by all accounts was on the table and contingent on Pouliot.

Pouliot's a great prospect, but Kesler would have cured a lot of what ailed us (size, speed, grit, RH shot, skill, two-way play), and I'm sure we see the ECF - and probably the SCF - if that deal gets made. Shero balked at including one of his precious d prospects, we withered, and he got fired.

I wanted Kesler too. His style of game and playoff pedigree is exactly what we needed.

But I was more pissed that he passed on upgrades over Dupuis for years. They were out there via trade and free agency.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wanted Kesler too. His style of game and playoff pedigree is exactly what we needed.

But I was more pissed that he passed on upgrades over Dupuis for years. They were out there via trade and free agency.

Most of the targets this board identified ended up costing way more and flaming out hard. For every MacArthur the board likes to bring up, there's a Horton and a Semin who would have put us in legitimate cap hell.

I do regret us passing on Ray Whitney the year we signed both Michalek and Martin though. He could've been huge for us.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We certainly weren't/aren't anywhere near "cap hell". That's way over the top.

Take a look at other teams around the league. Being on the hook for a serviceable but redundant 3.25 mil defenseman for a few years and one useless piece of crap signed for peanuts for one more year isn't ideal, but it's relatively minor compared to what most teams are dealing with/had to deal with prior to the buyout amnesty.

Last season. The only way it worked was because LTIR came to the rescue with Vokoun and then Dupuis.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Last season. The only way it worked was because LTIR came to the rescue with Vokoun and then Dupuis.

Last season every contender was walking a tightrope because of the lowered cap, and we were in worse trouble because of all our injuries.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Last season every contender was walking a tightrope because of the lowered cap, and we were in worse trouble because of all our injuries.

Without the Vokoun injury the original roster was over the cap, and that roster had a horrible bottom 6. They were in a horrible position with the cap that could have been remedied, it didn't happen; just like the prospect pool could have benefited. The Pens weren't walking a tightrope without that LTIR, they were over the cap.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Without the Vokoun injury the original roster was over the cap, and that roster had a horrible bottom 6. They were in a horrible position with the cap that could have been remedied, it didn't happen; just like the prospect pool could have benefited. The Pens weren't walking a tightrope without that LTIR, they were over the cap.

Yes, and if players - particularly blueliners - hadn't been dropping like flies, cap relief and a bolstered forward group could have been sought via trade, as was almost certainly the plan at the beginning of last season.

People are and have been either ignoring or glibly dismissing the effect that perpetual injuries had on Shero's ability to make trades. When your team is perennially the league leader in man games lost, that doesn't help you, that hurts you.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yes, and if players - particularly blueliners - hadn't been dropping like flies, cap relief and a bolstered forward group could have been sought via trade, as was almost certainly the plan at the beginning of last season.

People are and have been either ignoring or glibly dismissing the effect that perpetual injuries had on Shero's ability to make trades.

He could have solved that problem in the off season by trading Orpik after he signed Scuderi because them being over the cap didn't come out of nowhere, or just not sign Scuderi with all of those prospects.

Sure, the injuries happened and limited what could be done in season, but he still created what they went into the season with and then carried on with a team that clearly wasn't going to contend. It's also not like they couldn't replace Orpik or that he was bringing anything irreplaceable.

Anyway, not trading Orpik when he signed Scuderi and what came from that is probably my biggest complaint.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He could have solved that problem in the off season by trading Orpik after he signed Scuderi because them being over the cap didn't come out of nowhere, or just not sign Scuderi with all of those prospects.

Sure, the injuries happened and limited what could be done in season, but he still created what they went into the season with and then carried on with a team that clearly wasn't going to contend. It's also not like they couldn't replace Orpik or that he was bringing anything irreplaceable.

Anyway, not trading Orpik when he signed Scuderi and what came from that is probably my biggest complaint.

Let's take this to PM.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I really think if Orpik pans out he could be the physical presence this team has been missing since they traded Samuelsson to the Rangers. Also, has anyone played the Dreamcast yet, looks sick!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Guentzel not in the line-up for Nebraska tonight. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he's injured.

b1bft0.jpg

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I really think if Orpik pans out he could be the physical presence this team has been missing since they traded Samuelsson to the Rangers. Also, has anyone played the Dreamcast yet, looks sick!
When Vladimir Malenkykh comes over, they can be our search-and-destroy pairing.

Combined with Jan Alinc playing with Lemieux and Koltsov and Mika Lehto in net, we'll finally be good enough to go back to the Stanley Cup Finals.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I thought players with CHL eligibility remaining weren't allowed to play in the AHL to begin with?

Macaroni could go back as an overager but I think they'd rather stick him in Wheeling if he struggles (they need to teach him to be a bottom 6er at the AHL level and hope that he could eventually be a 4th liner in the NHL).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's early, gotta give the kid some time. It's not like he's Kuhnhackl where he wasn't competing hard every time he played. Also, nothing wrong with him being in the ECHL, I think he could get top 6 minutes there, build up his confidence and later in the AHL season, get called up if he works amazingly there and produces himself out of the ECHL.

I don't get why Megna was called up.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It's early, gotta give the kid some time. It's not like he's Kuhnhackl where he wasn't competing hard every time he played. Also, nothing wrong with him being in the ECHL, I think he could get top 6 minutes there, build up his confidence and later in the AHL season, get called up if he works amazingly there and produces himself out of the ECHL.

I don't get why Megna was called up.

he also didn't put up close to Kuhn's numbers in the OHL.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If Marcantuoni, based on his play and impact, deserved to be in the line up in WBS every game (or most games), then he would be. But he hasn't. This tells me that he has not yet figured out how to be a really effective energy forward/grinder at the AHL level. He was effective in this role in the OHL, so unless he's soft or cannot figure things out, he should be able to play this role.

I know we've got a deep forward group in WBS, but we've had enough injuries that Macaroni has gotten enough chances force the coaches to keep him in the line up, and he has not done so. If that is going to be the case long term -- particularly since there are some key forwards out who will be coming back soon -- he may be better off in Wheeling. I am not worried yet, but if he hasn't been able to establish himself in a consistent role by the end of the season, it will raise my eyebrows. If he isn't a regular player in the top 9 in WBS next season, then I will wonder if he really has what it takes to get to the NHL level. Perhaps such is the path for a player who projects, one day, to be a 4th liner in the NHL.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Are there any potential College FA's (wait, we don't have Shero anymore)...actually are there any over aged prospects over seas or anywhere that interests you guys?

Artemi Panarin has me intrigued big time. I remember that kid in that 4-3 Canada vs Russia game, he's having another fantastic year in the KHL and he's 23yrs old. He's on his final year in the KHL (contract expires, might be open to signing maybe?).

I'm all for some more Euro's on this team. Although Panarin is bff's with Tarasenko and I think Tikhonov, the latter of which I wanted the Pens to go after from the Yotes if they still own his rights.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I'm all for some more Euro's on this team. Although Panarin is bff's with Tarasenko and I think Tikhonov, the latter of which I wanted the Pens to go after from the Yotes if they still own his rights.

I believe Tikhonov will be UFA on July 1st, 2015. Until then Coyotes own his rights.

Kirill Kabanov seems to be doing well in Sweden (playing for the same team as Sundqvist). Always had the talent. But seemed to be a bit of a headcase. But the team should get a good view of him this season if/when they keep close tabs on how Sundqvist is performing.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Are there any potential College FA's (wait, we don't have Shero anymore)...actually are there any over aged prospects over seas or anywhere that interests you guys?

Artemi Panarin has me intrigued big time. I remember that kid in that 4-3 Canada vs Russia game, he's having another fantastic year in the KHL and he's 23yrs old. He's on his final year in the KHL (contract expires, might be open to signing maybe?).

I'd like to get a few more Finnish/Sweedish players. Maybe a few Russian players. The whole team should have a mix of players on it, including the roster. Don't need to get ONLY North American players anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad