Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | The Church of Farnhamtology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
I think he has to prove he can be a key part of our offense, yes. But that has more to do with his health than ability. He has not played a ton of pro hockey. Maybe this is an attempt to make sure he doesn't get too comfortable with his place on our depth chart. Obviously he has eyes and sees that hes more talented than most on our roster.

Judging by the reviews of his play against Hershey, I'd say Beau took whatever perceived message that was being sent to him and put people on notice. Sounded like he was outright dominant. Good on him for not pouting, he'll be back up with the big club soon I'd imagine. Nothing wrong with knocking off the rust in WB for a few games. It might even be to his advantage to gain that confidence from turning in a few stellar performances before jumping head first into the Big Pens' top 6.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Lol at any notion that this is anything but a conditioning stint for Beauner. We haven't been in the position that we've both been able to give someone a conditioning stint and lacked cap space simultaneously in recent memory. That's the only weird thing about it. It's a cap move and any suggestion otherwise is pretty asinine.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Beau Bennett had a fantastic game. Basically, he looked like an NHLer playing an AHL game, and that will only further prove to be the case as he shakes the rust off, which will happen quickly.

Bennett had a tremendous pass to Pouliot in overtime, and Pouliot had an even better pass to Megna for the GWG. All proceeded by Megna mucking along the boards to get the puck to BB in the first place, before getting into great position to get open for Pouliot's pass. It's a straight up highlight reel goal all the way around.

Also, speaking of rust, Rust had another really strong game. His one shift, where he both drew a penalty and (somehow) also got one for diving, was "Peter Forsberg-esque". Obviously not saying he'll be Peter, but he really seems to be putting together a great game of speed, hustle & determination, and a surprising skill level, that actually looks like it could translate to the NHL game. I've been a Rust critic over the years, but this year he's taken things to another level, and I'm happy to give credit where credit is due.

Other plusses:

- Scott Wilson: for him to be the next Kunitz (a mid-level scoring forward who plays physically and can play with great players), he'll have to get a bit stronger/thicker and also a bit quicker. Not saying he's not quick, but just getting that extra gear to excel amongst the big boys. But he's got unbelievable hands, great vision, and makes fantastic little plays and passes with the puck that are extremely creative; and which he can do in tight corners and at full speed. He's really got some special and unique skills, and could be a VERY good player one day. Pretty impressive that he's on the first PP unit already as a rookie, which I think speaks volumes about how he's playing and the skills he's showing.

- Josh Archibald: he didn't do a ton tonight, and it's expected that he'll need 6 to 10 games to get his game to where he/we want it to be, but the speed that he has is really, really a difference maker. He makes Tyler Kennedy look slow. He's absolutely blazing. And with his tenacity, grit/physicality and natural nose for the net and scoring ability, it's really tantalizing watching him play. He was a guy whom I expected would make an impact in his first season, and now that he's getting healthy, I expect that to happen in the not too distant future.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Nice debut for Matia Marcantuoni:

@WheelingNailers
>Marcantuoni completes the hat trick, but Wheeling falls 6-3.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
- Scott Wilson: for him to be the next Kunitz (a mid-level scoring forward who plays physically and can play with great players), he'll have to get a bit stronger/thicker and also a bit quicker. Not saying he's not quick, but just getting that extra gear to excel amongst the big boys. But he's got unbelievable hands, great vision, and makes fantastic little plays and passes with the puck that are extremely creative; and which he can do in tight corners and at full speed. He's really got some special and unique skills, and could be a VERY good player one day. Pretty impressive that he's on the first PP unit already as a rookie, which I think speaks volumes about how he's playing and the skills he's showing. .

Wilson seems to be under the radar for a lot of people but hopefully this year will open some eyes to what he's capable of. Haven't been able to see much of WBS this year, have you noticed whether he is playing on his off wing or not?

Nice debut for Matia Marcantuoni:

@WheelingNailers
>Marcantuoni completes the hat trick, but Wheeling falls 6-3.

Nice!

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Wow how did that happen? Marcantuoni never had a hat trick back in juniors. :laugh:

And talking about the OHL, Jaden Lindo is back at last. Made his season debut on Thursday and wasted no time running a defenseman into the boards, then fighting him:

His size has been updated to being 6'2, 208 lbs. Now he just needs to stay healthy and round out his game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The insinuation that this is a player who still needs to prove himself is what pisses me off. Bombulie, a guy who's more plugged in to WBS than anyone, was caught off-guard by the tone of the quote too.

I think Hynes just wanted to squeeze as much production out of Bennett as he can, knowing he probably won't be down there for more than a handful of games. I'm fine with it.

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh
Michigan Tech has a 6-0 start to their season, and Birks hasn't dressed for a single game so far. Is it a matter of not wanting to change a winning team or is Birks injured? I haven't been able to find anything on him recently.

I don't think he's injured. They have 10 freshman this year, and they want to balance out their classes by having at least one redshirt. So unless they have a rash of injuries, the plan is for Birks to redshirt and be a Freshman in 2015-16.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I've honestly never heard of redshirting in college hockey, at least not when it comes to drafted players. If he's not playing he should go to the USHL or something, or transfer schools. And if he's not one of the better freshmen, we can probably write him off already.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I've honestly never heard of redshirting in college hockey, at least not when it comes to drafted players. If he's not playing he should go to the USHL or something, or transfer schools. And if he's not one of the better freshmen, we can probably write him off already.

Yep, unfortunately.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Wilson seems to be under the radar for a lot of people but hopefully this year will open some eyes to what he's capable of. Haven't been able to see much of WBS this year, have you noticed whether he is playing on his off wing or not?

Wilson has been playing, as far as I know, almost exclusively LW. Which is good, IMO, since we've got more RWers in our organization than LWers.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Hynes just wanted to squeeze as much production out of Bennett as he can, knowing he probably won't be down there for more than a handful of games. I'm fine with it.

Possible. We'll see how long he's in the A, and more importantly what role he has when he returns to Pittsburgh.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Yep, unfortunately.

I don't understand: if we're going to roll the dice on a player in the 4th round of a really good draft, and we've already just drafted SegUla and have a boatload of Dmen in the organization and yet so thin up front, why not roll the dice on a forward instead? This is the type of crap that makes me angry. What was Birks' realistic upside - Rob Blake? :madfire:

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Teddy Blueger with the hatty tonight.

Yep, got to see a hat-trick in person for the first time!

Blueger has taken a big step forward this season. He does everything - shooting, passing, defense, getting in the dirty areas. You can see the confidence he has in ability. Very excited to see him shake off the earlier struggles in his college career.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yep, got to see a hat-trick in person for the first time!

Blueger has taken a big step forward this season. He does everything - shooting, passing, defense, getting in the dirty areas. You can see the confidence he has in ability. Very excited to see him shake off the earlier struggles in his college career.

Encouraging to hear. Blueger, Sundqvist, and Guentzel are shaping up to be a pretty decent collection of center prospects.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Considering he was supposed to play this year in Tri-City, it's nice to see Sam Lafferty has 2 assists in his first 3 games for Brown U.

penguins2946*

Jarry had a 32 save shutout tonight against Lethbridge. Good night for Pens prospects:

-Jarry 32 save shutout as noted above
-Blueger hat trick as noted above, bringing his totals to 6 goals and 10 points in 10 games
-Rust with 2 goals, Archibald with a goal and an assist and Dumoulin, Dea, Megan and Pouliot with an assist in WBS's win. Murray was decent with 30 stops on 34 shots.
-Macaroni had an assist in Wheeling's 4-3 win today

Wow, we really don't have many prospects that aren't in the pros yet. Of significant prospects, we have Kapanen, Sundqvist, Blueger, Guentzel, Byron and Jarry that aren't in the pros right now. That's interesting.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I see Jarry also got penalized. Heh.

3 - EDM T. Jarry, 15:36 - Unsportsmanlike Cnd., 2 min (PP)

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Anyone know what's wrong with Guentzel?
After a red hot start he has missed 2 weekends in a row :-(

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Yeah I remember seeing he was injured. But does anyone know what kind of injury it is? Probably season ending seeing he's penguins property.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah I remember seeing he was injured. But does anyone know what kind of injury it is? Probably season ending seeing he's penguins property.

Upper-body after a hit.

UNO’s Jake Guentzel, who is 5-10 and weighs 175, took a hit at Cornell from a player who is about 6-3 and 230, UNO coach Dean Blais said.

@samober
Blais said @UNO_Hockey's Jake Guentzel skated on Friday and is spending the weekend in Minnesota where his Dad is an associate coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad