Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | The Church of Farnhamtology

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
listening to Johnston's presser after the first day.. I'm more and more liking this hire. Johnston comes across as a guy with a plan, and seems a lot more hockey saavy then his predecessor. Also reinforces just how arrogant Dan was in my head.

I'm looking forward to this season much more-so then last. I dunno if the results will be any better or not. But at least we aren't hitting our head on a brick wall anymore.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Dumoulin just didn't look ready to me last year. He seemed to be a step behind the play more often than not. Maybe that's something that changes over time and experience for him, but with a healthy roster, even dumping Scuds, Dumoulin doesn't get a spot on the roster. Not only that, there are two other guys who should probably get a shot over him in Pouliot and Harrington over the next couple years.

Dumoulin is vastly underrated around here. He had an injury in camp and never looked right until late in the season IMHO.

I think he has been one of the Baby Pens best player in the playoffs the last two years, most especially this year. I think he is right on the same tier as a guy like Harrington, but being the third piece in that Staal deal, I guess people tend to make him an after thought (especially when I see him as a throw in in stupid deals).

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
Dumoulin doesn't have as high a ceiling as guys like Despes, Harrington or Pouliot, but he should be a solid 4/5 type guy because he has size and can skate. I think he will develop into a poor man's Paul Martin, with better size.

I think he can top out as a very good #4 with a more dynamic partner, like Erhoff or Pouliot.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
unfortunately it probably says more about the offensive skill of our other prospects. Plus he's used to playing against Men.

YYYep. Not saying he's not talented, more like the level of offensive talent in our prospect pool prior to him was pretty bad by all accounts. Lot of "has this one good trait... might be a good third liner one day" types.

I wish Matia Marcantuoni develops any kind of skill because his speed is just disturbing. Fastest guy in our system although he lacks in the scoring department and has been often injured..par the norm for our offensive guys I suppose.

See above. However,

macaroni-and-cheese.jpg

Ding dong the stretch pass is dead.

:yo:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Dumoulin doesn't have as high a ceiling as guys like Despes, Harrington or Pouliot, but he should be a solid 4/5 type guy because he has size and can skate. I think he will develop into a poor man's Paul Martin, with better size.

I think he can top out as a very good #4 with a more dynamic partner, like Erhoff or Pouliot.

I think Harrington has a higher hockey IQ, but Dumoulin is the more gifted player and has better size.

I think Harrington is a perfect compliment to Letang's risky game, so I project him as a top pairing guy on the Pens. However, he is more of a #4 like I see Dumoulin.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
listening to Johnston's presser after the first day.. I'm more and more liking this hire. Johnston comes across as a guy with a plan, and seems a lot more hockey saavy then his predecessor. Also reinforces just how arrogant Dan was in my head.

I'm looking forward to this season much more-so then last. I dunno if the results will be any better or not. But at least we aren't hitting our head on a brick wall anymore.

can someone post a link for this? cant find it

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Dumoulin is vastly underrated around here. He had an injury in camp and never looked right until late in the season IMHO.

I think he has been one of the Baby Pens best player in the playoffs the last two years, most especially this year. I think he is right on the same tier as a guy like Harrington, but being the third piece in that Staal deal, I guess people tend to make him an after thought (especially when I see him as a throw in in stupid deals).

Thanks for dismissing my opinion because it differs from yours. I base my opinion not on what piece he was in a trade, but on what I've seen, which is at the NHL level for Dumoulin. I haven't had the opportunity to watch as many AHL games as I used to over the past couple years. He was a step behind the play in the NHL, though. Like I said, maybe that changes, and when it does my opinion will change. But I think Harrington deserves as much of a chance as Dumoulin, and saying Pouliot is above him on the depth chart right now isn't understating anybody.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Dumo has only played 6 career NHL games. That's really not enough games to make anything of one way or the other.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Thanks for dismissing my opinion because it differs from yours. I base my opinion not on what piece he was in a trade, but on what I've seen, which is at the NHL level for Dumoulin. I haven't had the opportunity to watch as many AHL games as I used to over the past couple years. He was a step behind the play in the NHL, though. Like I said, maybe that changes, and when it does my opinion will change. But I think Harrington deserves as much of a chance as Dumoulin, and saying Pouliot is above him on the depth chart right now isn't understating anybody.

Yep. Dumoulin didn't look like an all-star his first call up, time to throw him out already.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
Dumo has only played 6 career NHL games. That's really not enough games to make anything of one way or the other.
A 6 game sample is definitely not enough to make any grandiose conclusions about a guy's long term future or whatever else, but it absolutely is enough to cause you to question his NHL readiness. Hopefully he has a strong training camp (note: the real training camp, not prospect camp) to put those concerns to rest.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Pouliot's probably not going to be ready for camp so I don't see him being in front of Dumoulin.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Unless we dump Scuds, there's only one spot on the team up for grabs and it's Despres' to lose. Even with Maatta out to start the year.

That #7 spot on the team is Samuelsson's I bet.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Some people are just putting words in my mouth, so I'll just quote this one.
6 games never determines an NHL career. But it was enough to determine that he was not NHL ready. Yeah, you have to give him a shot again at some point but when with the guys we have in front of him? In a healthy lineup, Dumoulin won't even make the roster. And you have to see what Harrington brings, too.

Why are we so ready to give Dumoulin a chance when Despres, who has looked ready for two years, hasn't been given a roster spot yet?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
6 games never determines an NHL career. But it was enough to determine that he was not NHL ready. Yeah, you have to give him a shot again at some point but when with the guys we have in front of him? In a healthy lineup, Dumoulin won't even make the roster. And you have to see what Harrington brings, too.

Why are we so ready to give Dumoulin a chance when Despres, who has looked ready for two years, hasn't been given a roster spot yet?

Roster spots should never be given, they should be earned.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

Who the hell has said that? And you're complaining about people putting words in your mouth?

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Pouliot's probably not going to be ready for camp so I don't see him being in front of Dumoulin.

That could be very true, but in terms of where they fit in the depth chart in a year or two and what we do with guys like Martin or Ehrhoff or even Bortuzzo, Pouliot could eclipse Dumoulin before either gets a chance at a roster spot.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Who the hell has said that? And you're complaining about people putting words in your mouth?

Well you clearly disagreed with me saying Dumoulin was not NHL ready with your hyperbolic response. If you disagree with me saying he did not look NHL ready, the only other opinion you could have is that he is NHL ready. I mean, he either is or he isn't.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I was talking in general about other opinions I've seen around here about Dumoulin. Then said he should be on par with Harrington. Somehow that puts you on the defensive? Really?

But since you want to take things personally, let's look at what you said your opinion was based on:

Judging him on his first six NHL games, while still recovering from an injury.

Sounds solid. I'll clearly take your sound opinion over seeing him play lights out when it matters the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad