Pittsburgh Penguins 2014 NHL Draft Early 7-Round Mock

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Pens aren't hot on players with motivation issues, Ho-Sang doesn't seem very likely.

There's that, plus the fact the times I've watched Ho-Sang play he seemed to play more East-West than North-South. He's a very creative dangler. I seriously doubt we'd have any interest in him, sadly.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not Brendan, that's Claude's son I believe and is a 1st round prospect, Austin plays junior hockey in Pittsburgh, his shots at the NHL or even the ECHL are VERY VERY small

He doesn't play junior hockey. He plays midget AAA and has only scored 28 points in 45 games mostly against local AAA teams. He's not going to get drafted.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
Josh Ho-Sang reminds me of Olli Maatta somehow in that when he first came into the OHL i heard about him and thought wow that'd be great if he somehow got drafted by the Penguins in the future, but i doubt it happens.

then it did happen with Maatta. I hope the same thing coincidentally happens with Ho-Sang too.

He supposedly had "Character Issues" as like a 16 year old kid or something, right? maybe the silly old GMs will pass him up and let him fall to the Pens... :)

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If we drafted Ho-Sang, I'd be ecstatic, but I doubt we do and I highly doubt he drops that far

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
Josh Ho-Sang reminds me of Olli Maatta somehow in that when he first came into the OHL i heard about him and thought wow that'd be great if he somehow got drafted by the Penguins in the future, but i doubt it happens.

then it did happen with Maatta. I hope the same thing coincidentally happens with Ho-Sang too.

He supposedly had "Character Issues" as like a 16 year old kid or something, right? maybe the silly old GMs will pass him up and let him fall to the Pens... :)
I'm hoping that happens too, but it's not looking like we'll have this pick by Wednesday

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Pick 1: Traded to Vancouver
Pick 2: Traded to Edmonton
Pick 3: Traded to Vancouver
Pick 4: Traded to Toronto
Picks 5-7: Macaroni Wannabes

Don't be shocked if I'm pretty close to being right. ;) Signs are this is a weak draft apparently and Shero is on the hunt for players under contract to fill the void, not long-shot prospects.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Pick 1: Traded to Vancouver
Pick 2: Traded to Edmonton
Pick 3: Traded to Vancouver
Pick 4: Traded to Toronto
Picks 5-7: Macaroni Wannabes

Don't be shocked if I'm pretty close to being right. ;) Signs are this is a weak draft apparently and Shero is on the hunt for players under contract to fill the void, not long-shot prospects.

I'll be pretty shocked if you're right considering our second is going to San Jose.

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
As it looks now Penguins selections for the 2014 Philly Draft include:
Round 1
Round 4
Round 5 (Ducks pick)
Round 6
Round 7

My Predictions/Hopes for each pick:
1. Included in trade for Kesler (Preidtion), Josh Ho-Sang, Nikolaj Ehlers, Chase De Leo, Jack Glover, or Ryan MacInnis
4. Scott Savage (Hope/Prediction)
5. Chad Otterman (Hope)
6. Stephen Harper (Hope)
7. Austin Lemieux (Prediction)

I just hope I get to see the Draft eight near my home in Philly covered in Pens gear and seeing and meeting some future stars

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Next years draft looks a lot better. Just trade this years first for some ones next years.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The 7-round mock I was in ended a couple days ago. Here is my haul:

1.29) Adrian Kempe, LW, MoDo, 6’1†187 lbs, L

Trade: Letang, Sutter, and Glass for Pacioretty, McGinn, Pick No. 54

2.54) Clark Bishop, C, Cape Breton, 5’11†183 lbs, L

3.89) Jaden Lindo, RW, Owen Sound, 6’1†203 lbs, R

4.119) Hunter Smith, RW, Oshawa, 6’6†208 lbs, R

5.149) Neal Pionk, D, Sioux City, 5’11†170 lbs, R

5.150) Ryan Mantha, D, Indiana Ice, 6’5†225 lbs, R

6.179) Jake Evans, C/RW, St. Michael’s, 6’ 172 lbs, R

7.209) Justin Gutierrez, C, Tri-City, 6’4†185 lbs, L

Let me know what you guys think. Obviously it is a bit dated, since the mock began in late January.

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
The 7-round mock I was in ended a couple days ago. Here is my haul:

1.29) Adrian Kempe, LW, MoDo, 6’1†187 lbs, L

Trade: Letang, Sutter, and Glass for Pacioretty, McGinn, Pick No. 54

2.54) Clark Bishop, C, Cape Breton, 5’11†183 lbs, L

3.89) Jaden Lindo, RW, Owen Sound, 6’1†203 lbs, R

4.119) Hunter Smith, RW, Oshawa, 6’6†208 lbs, R

5.149) Neal Pionk, D, Sioux City, 5’11†170 lbs, R

5.150) Ryan Mantha, D, Indiana Ice, 6’5†225 lbs, R

6.179) Jake Evans, C/RW, St. Michael’s, 6’ 172 lbs, R

7.209) Justin Gutierrez, C, Tri-City, 6’4†185 lbs, L

Let me know what you guys think. Obviously it is a bit dated, since the mock began in late January.
I respect every feature of that draft besides that trade, certainly very unrealistic

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I respect every feature of that draft besides that trade, certainly very unrealistic

That seems to be a common sentiment. Allow me to explain my thought process here:

To put it simply, Letang is replaceable. Maatta will only continue to get better, and Pouliot's progress this year gives me great confidence that he will become an NHL'er in the future. We go into next season with a D lineup of Martin/Scuderi, Maatta/Niskanen, Bortz/Despres with Engo as the 7th, and that works just fine. Heck, sign a bottom pairing Dman in FA if you need to. Or slot Dumoulin over Despres if you prefer that. Anyway it goes, we don't need Letang.

Acquiring Patches is huge for this club- a relatively young, proven goal-scorer who is signed for 4 or 5 more years at a great cap-hit. Crosby's Neal, if you will.

Losing Sutter is no biggie to me, as I am not a fan of him. Average 3rd line center- a replacement can easily be found in FA with our cap savings in the Letang/Patches swap.

McGinn is that gritty, secondary scoring middle six winger that we always claim to want.

And I should not even have to justify the Glass for a 2nd swap.

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
That seems to be a common sentiment. Allow me to explain my thought process here:

To put it simply, Letang is replaceable. Maatta will only continue to get better, and Pouliot's progress this year gives me great confidence that he will become an NHL'er in the future. We go into next season with a D lineup of Martin/Scuderi, Maatta/Niskanen, Bortz/Despres with Engo as the 7th, and that works just fine. Heck, sign a bottom pairing Dman in FA if you need to. Or slot Dumoulin over Despres if you prefer that. Anyway it goes, we don't need Letang.

Acquiring Patches is huge for this club- a relatively young, proven goal-scorer who is signed for 4 or 5 more years at a great cap-hit. Crosby's Neal, if you will.

Losing Sutter is no biggie to me, as I am not a fan of him. Average 3rd line center- a replacement can easily be found in FA with our cap savings in the Letang/Patches swap.

McGinn is that gritty, secondary scoring middle six winger that we always claim to want.

And I should not even have to justify the Glass for a 2nd swap.
Thanks for at least explaining, still very unrealistic to me as RS already extended and has a commitment to Letang. After his stroke and knowing this is 66's team, I don't see Tanger leaving anytime soon. A more realistic trade I see is Martin for a pick/prospect to clear cap for either Kesler, a popular option, (in exchange for our 2014 1st, future 3rd, Sutter, and Despres), or my personal favorite, sign Vanek for a 5 year deal worth slightly north of 25 million total.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad