Pittsburgh Penguins 2014 NHL Draft Early 7-Round Mock

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
R1. Josh Ho-Sang-RW-Windsor- Very explosive winger, small side (5'11 166), amazing hands, crafty, rumored to be lazy when it comes to practicing but is worth the risk IMO, 62 points in 47 games so far this year (23 G/39 A), +25

R2. Doug Murray trade, horrible move by Shero

R3. Kevin Labanc-LW-Barrie Colts- Slightly bigger winger than Ho-Sang, who may slip even further due to 2 long suspensions for hits this season, former ND commit, very hard worker, 22 points in 44 games this season (7 G/15 A)

R4. Sam Ruopp-D-Prince George- Shero adds to his young D-man corps with Harrison Ruopp's (One of Pen's top D prospects) younger brother, WHL D-man, very good size as well (6'4, 180), great value, very defensive D-man

R5. Scott Savage-D-Boston College- Solid size (6'1, 185), defensive D-man, 11 points in 21 games for BC, a place where the Pen's have quite the history with, especially BC stay at home D-men like himself (Scuderi, Orpik, Dumoulin, Samuelsson), also a SoCal native (Beau Bennett), compared a lot to Rob Scuderi (Pick acquired in exchange for another BC D-man, Benny Lovejoy)

R5. Chad Otterman-LW-Delbarton (NJ-HS)-Big, strong (6'2, 190) LW from Delbarton, a school Shero has hit twice before, (Alex Velischek, Kenny Agostino), plays physical game but is also an extremely gifted shooter, top 10 HS LAX player nationally, considering Notre Dame and Harvard next year for both LAX and hockey, hopefully is a major steal

R6. Stephen Harper-LW-Belleville Bulls- not much talent should be left here which is why Shero takes a shot by picking Harper, Connor McDavid's former favorite winger in Erie, he's pretty big (6'2, 200), has some offensive talent (27 points in 43 games), and actually met with Mario and Sid last spring after an invite to watch the Pens along with his linemates, now former, Connor McDavid and Hayden Hodgson

R7. Austin Lemieux-RW-Pittsburgh Predators How cool would it be for Mario to pick his son right in Philly for the Pens' final selection, I mean minus the boos, isn't really a legitimate prospect but definitely sign of respect for Mario by Shero

penguins2946*

Lemieux's son would be a bad pick. I get that it would be cool, but I'm not a fan of wasting draft picks just for laughs. Remember, Scott Wilson was a 7th round pick and has been very impressive in the NCAA. 90 points in 100 NCAA games from a 7th round pick.

I don't think Ho-Sang will last until 25, but that's just me. There's no reason to draft Ruopp just because we have his brother here.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't think Ho-Sang will last until 25, but that's just me.

Sadly, I agree about Ho-Sang. All the more reason to trade Brooks for a 1st rounder, and combine our 2 firsts to move up and grab him ;)

Despite where he's ranked in some of the combined scouting lists (CSB, ISS, etc.), some team will have Ho-Sang ranked highly and will step up and grab him. He's a guy whose stock is rising anyway, and often in a weaker draft (i.e. 2012), teams will be more inclined to take their chances on a boom or bust type of player (i.e. Buffalo with Grigorenko).

If we did end up with 2 picks, or even if we didn't but got a high end winger (i.e. Eberle/Kane/etc. for Letang), I would not be upset to see us draft Julius Honka, although I hope he's not done growing. He is really putting up tremendous numbers, particularly as a rookie and for his first year in NA, and he can skate like the wind. Very impressive at the WJCs, and although we may not need another Dman at all, if we traded a guy like Letang, it would be nice to get another right-handed Dman with skill. Honka is a very intriguing player.

penguins2946*

Eh I'm not sure about bringing in another PMD honestly. Honka's scouting report:

Honka is a small offensive-minded blueliner who skates very well with strong lateral movements and agility. He's extremely elusive and hard to contain or catch. He possesses good recovery speed and quick on the transition from defense to offense.

With Pouliot in the pipeline, I don't see a reason to draft him. Him being a righty is attractive though. Also, we could strike gold with a Finnish player drafted in the 20s again like we did with Maatta. Something I'd consider is moving one if our D prospects for a mid 1st, draft Ho-Sang with that first and pick Honka with out 1st. It fixes 2 issues we have, not enough top end winger prospects and having top many left handed to right handed D prospects. Pens also did draft Goligoski 2 years after picking Whitney as well, so maybe Honka isn't too crazy of an idea

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ho-Sang doesn't seem like a very likely pick even if he's still available when the Pens pick. He just doesn't strike me as a guy the Pens envision playing "Pens hockey".

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Ho-Sang doesn't seem like a very likely pick even if he's still available when the Pens pick. He just doesn't strike me as a guy the Pens envision playing "Pens hockey".

Was thinking the same thing. He isn't one of those "Penguins hockey" type players. Even if he did fall I'm 90% confident we would pass him up.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Well, I don't know what "Pens hockey" is in relation to Ho-Sang. I mean, he's fast as ****** (which is Pens hockey), has better hands than anyone drafted since Crosby or Malkin (and his pure hand skills may even be better than those 2). Part of the Pens hockey we play is a function of what players we have. We haven't had a winger with this much skill in the "Crosby era" since Hossa.

Teuvo Terravainen doesn't play "Pens hockey", but I think we would all sure as hell be glad if we had him in our prospect stable. You make room for players with skill like that when you're fortunate enough to have them.

Eh I'm not sure about bringing in another PMD honestly. Honka's scouting report:

With Pouliot in the pipeline, I don't see a reason to draft him. Him being a righty is attractive though. Also, we could strike gold with a Finnish player drafted in the 20s again like we did with Maatta. Something I'd consider is moving one if our D prospects for a mid 1st, draft Ho-Sang with that first and pick Honka with out 1st. It fixes 2 issues we have, not enough top end winger prospects and having top many left handed to right handed D prospects. Pens also did draft Goligoski 2 years after picking Whitney as well, so maybe Honka isn't too crazy of an idea

That's part of why I said "if they think he'll grow a little", and hopefully get to 6'0 or very close. Honka was rated #18 on Bob McKenzie's list, which tends to be the most accurate of all the draft rankings. Ho-Sang was 29, but has been a riser on a lot of lists.

I'll be happy to draft the guy with the most offensive potential and talent still on the board, whoever that is.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
I am the Pens GM in the 7 round mock that is currently going on (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1586783)- Ho-Sang went well before I was able to pick. I ended up going with Adrian Kempe (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86313). Any feedback would be appreciated.

You would not believe some of the offers I had for Letang... just insanely bad.

let me guess... Bourque for Letang straight up? :facepalm:

to the OP's mock draft (and to respond to this post as well), i strongly doubt Ho-Sang will fall to the Pens. i'm not even sure they'd pick him. they like going BPMDA (best puck-moving defenseman available). :sarcasm:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, I don't know what "Pens hockey" is in relation to Ho-Sang. I mean, he's fast as ****** (which is Pens hockey), has better hands than anyone drafted since Crosby or Malkin (and his pure hand skills may even be better than those 2). Part of the Pens hockey we play is a function of what players we have. We haven't had a winger with this much skill in the "Crosby era" since Hossa.

Teuvo Terravainen doesn't play "Pens hockey", but I think we would all sure as hell be glad if we had him in our prospect stable. You make room for players with skill like that when you're fortunate enough to have them.

You're arguing with me as though I said that I wouldn't want the Pens to draft Ho-Sang. I simply don't think he's the type of player the Penguins target in drafts.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Not sure where else to put it so I'll mention it here. The Penguins have hired another European scout this season, Erkki Rajamäki. Never had much of a North American career but he's been all over Finland as a player. Brings our Euro scouts up to 2 Swedes and 1 Finn.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Would have nothing against taking Austin in the 7th round. Didn't know he was Lemieux's son though.

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
Lemieux's son would be a bad pick. I get that it would be cool, but I'm not a fan of wasting draft picks just for laughs. Remember, Scott Wilson was a 7th round pick and has been very impressive in the NCAA. 90 points in 100 NCAA games from a 7th round pick.

I don't think Ho-Sang will last until 25, but that's just me. There's no reason to draft Ruopp just because we have his brother here.
You do get that this is Mario's team don't you? I can't see him passing that up, however I do get that there is some 7th round value. Also, I disagree on Ho-Sang, I think he will be a productive top-6 forward/almost star in the NHL. And finally, I just included the brother thing to give some background and answer some questions before they are asked. Sam Ruopp is actually a very high ranked D-man

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
Let's see, Pens hockey, fast, explosive, high motor, offensive, play-making, that pretty much describes Ho-Sang, his only knock is his size and possibly attitude IMO

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
Five of seven picks wings?

The Pens?

You are thinking that Shero is getting fired?
I did realize that moments before I finished this, but Ho-Sang and Otterman can both play C. The early pick of another D-man is pretty unnecessary (Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin, etc) so I selected a forward. The need for a goalie early is also pretty low with MAF, Zatkoff looking solid, and Hartzell, Jarry, and Murray all looking like future NHLers

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
Would have nothing against taking Austin in the 7th round. Didn't know he was Lemieux's son though.
Not Brendan, that's Claude's son I believe and is a 1st round prospect, Austin plays junior hockey in Pittsburgh, his shots at the NHL or even the ECHL are VERY VERY small

Hydro

Apr 29, 2013
Windsor
Ho-Sang plays in my city, I rarely ever hear about him so not sure if I'd like the Pens taking him

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Ho-Sang plays in my city, I rarely ever hear about him so not sure if I'd like the Pens taking him
Really? I thought he's been on the radar for a while now. His speed is jaw dropping but he has some issues with sense. IMO he's like an Afinogenov type.

Hydro

Apr 29, 2013
Windsor
Really? I thought he's been on the radar for a while now. His speed is jaw dropping but he has some issues with sense. IMO he's like an Afinogenov type.

Well compared to the other players that played in Windsor before getting drafted (Hall, Henrique, Ellis Etc) there was a ton of hype around those players, even though I didn't follow the spits. But I haven't heard anything but this guy and the only thing I know about him is that he's dating a girl I used to talk to!

JerseyShore99

Nov 7, 2013
Chad Otterman, the F from Delbarton in Jersey whom I mocked to Pittsburgh just committed to Cornell for hockey over about 6-10 lacrosse powerhouse offers

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Well compared to the other players that played in Windsor before getting drafted (Hall, Henrique, Ellis Etc) there was a ton of hype around those players, even though I didn't follow the spits. But I haven't heard anything but this guy and the only thing I know about him is that he's dating a girl I used to talk to!

Ho-Sang had more pre OHL draft hype than either Ellis or the likes of Henrique, not Hall tho. I am shocked that living in Windsor you haven't heard about him, perhaps its a result of his "non hockey" name that you don't recognize when people are discussing him and hockey, because he is VERY well known in the OHL and the hockey community of Southwestern Ontario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad