Pittsburgh is Very Overrated in Terms of Entertainment Value...

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
God this is like last year when people were mad that the Penguins block a lot of shots. "Should shot-blocking be banned? Look at how the Penguins are using it to beat the Sharks! It's so boring and not fair!"

You can tell the hatred for the Penguins is reaching a fever pitch here. This board is basically this meme about the Penguins:

8DG6Hel.png
Yea pens hate is off the charts at this point. It's rather amusing to read. Can you imagine the uproar if the pens were actually caught cheating like the patriots? It would be the end of hfboards.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
God this is like last year when people were mad that the Penguins block a lot of shots. "Should shot-blocking be banned? Look at how the Penguins are using it to beat the Sharks! It's so boring and not fair!"

You can tell the hatred for the Penguins is reaching a fever pitch here. This board is basically this meme about the Penguins:

8DG6Hel.png

Hey the hate is fine by me. The more haters you have the more you're doing a great job.:yo: If Pens win the cup i'd not be surprised if Pens sub forum is deleted and all Pens fans banned. :laugh:

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I haven't read the whole thread but there needs to be link to the "are you not entertained?" Bit from Gladiator.

Bonus points if someone photoshops in the sens Spartan guy into it. Just for lol's

Text version:

"[inaudible] you [inaudible] [inaudible] ?"

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It's almost as if the refs no longer calling interference has had a direct impact on strategies teams use to win games in the playoffs and as a result the whole league is a bit less interesting.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Unpopular opinion: When one team goes a long period of time without a shot, it's usually when the opposing team, in this case the Predators, were playing a boring defensive/possession based game. Game 1 was boring, but I wouldnt fault the Pens.

From a Flyers fan.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Okay... so I'm probably going to get ripped to shreds for even bothering to post this, but I'm going to get it off my chest...

I've been following them since the second round. I wanted to see how the team that beat my team would do against a so-called team elite and exciting (and for the record, last year's PIT team was WAY different than this year's in terms of how their games played out).

This team does not excite or interest me at all. I can't get into their "style" of play one bit.

I've seen some boring games/teams, and this year's Pittsburgh team is right up there.

It seems to me like people just think "oh wowserz, Crosby and Malkin! And Kessel! What a high flying team!"

And no, I'm not insinuating those three are boring. You can exclude them.

It's this whole chipping the pucks off the boards, lobbying it in the air garbage that completely ruins any sort of flow or rhythm to their games that I can't stand.

I just think it's funny and ironic that people raked a team like Ottawa over the coals for being "boring" even though the team did what it needed to do in order to win and PIT gets a complete pass.

Game one of the SCF was probably the most boring Cup Finals game I've ever watched... well, or tried to. I literally fell asleep during the second period.

I watched the third and saw NSH tie the game and thought, "okay, now this is quite an intriguing development."

Then PIT takes their first shot in 35 minutes or whatever it was and scores and then gets an empty netter... lol.

It's not just that PIT is boring; I can't understand how this team keeps winning. Is the League so mediocre that no team can beat a team that can't sustain offensive zone pressure or move the puck up ice crisply and neatly?

To be honest, WSH should have beat this team, and I really wish OTT had done so at this point.

I also feel for NSH fans who had to suffer through that.

Rant over.

You can go ahead and blast me for whining or say I shouldn't watch their games then... even though Sens fans had to endure this same type of criticism for three rounds.

And look at that: I'm defending the Sens/their fans now. That says a lot.

Our #1D is out with a neck injury, our 2nd best Puck mover supposedly has some broken ribs which just seems insane.

The Pens have 3 big people that drive the style they play - Crosby, Malkin, Letang. The entire transition game is on pause until he's back.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Unpopular opinion: When one team goes a long period of time without a shot, it's usually when the opposing team, in this case the Predators, were playing a boring defensive/possession based game. Game 1 was boring, but I wouldnt fault the Pens.

From a Flyers fan.

The Sens played a 1-3-1 and interfered at every possible moment to disrupt all flow of the game.. The Predators played the 1-3-1 last night and also interfered every possible time.. But it's all the Penguins fault for not being entertaining

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The words "Penguins" and "Over-rated" basically don't make sense in any context these days. Might be first back to back winners in 20 years

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Did a Detroit fan really just complain about interference?

I'm going to see my way out of this thread now.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

8DG6Hel.png
I'm the type of person that smiles or laughs when I know I have driven someone up the wall or pissed them off. So I absolutely love all this hate, it's like a warm cozy blanket for me. Just completely enjoyable.

useless

Feb 2, 2011
Did a Detroit fan really just complain about interference?

I'm going to see my way out of this thread now.

:laugh: yeah that is pretty funny, they basically invented this style of play back in the day. I don't blame them, I mean they were ahead of the curve in figuring out how the current NHL is officiated and how to exploit it. But yeah that's pretty funny.

Edit: I also think they're the reason for the penalty you receive if you cheat on the faceoff too much. They knew they would only get kicked out and wouldn't be called every time they cheated on the face off so they just did it every time.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
lol most watched SCF ame 1 in like 15 years and you're pretending you were bored now. jokes, the lot of you.

You can fake boredom all you want but honestly, all everyone talks about, and thinks about is the penguins anyways. Opposing fans should need a bus pass if they wanna keep riding this ****

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
You find them boring? Then don't watch, you wont be bored.
For many years that's what I did

Watched much of the playoffs on youtube last summer, watching some this year because CBC shows it for free online (I don't have cable).....there's other options for those who grew up fans of the game but find modern hockey boring besides not watching at all; I have the hockey "in the background" (often on a nearby IPad) while I do other things in addition to having the hockey on

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
For many years that's what I did

Watched much of the playoffs on youtube last summer, watching some this year because CBC shows it for free online (I don't have cable).....there's other options for those who grew up fans of the game but find modern hockey boring besides not watching at all; I have the hockey "in the background" (often on a nearby IPad) while I do other things in addition to having the hockey on

great dude. im sure the nhl misses your attentiveness

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The words "Penguins" and "Over-rated" basically don't make sense in any context these days. Might be first back to back winners in 20 years

Even if Preds win i can't be angry, Pens have been through so much adversity, even well before the playoffs! how they made the finals in the first place is just crazy. But since we are here let's just win the darn thing.:yo:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

They're only winning because of a vast conspiracy involving hundreds of people from the NHL hierarchy on down to the officials.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
They're exciting to watch for me except when the opposing team plays that boring 1-3-1 against them.

Or maybe it's because I'm used to watching the super boring Kings shoot 40 shots a game with 35 of those being from 50+ feet away while going on to lose 2-1.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I've seen some boring games/teams, and this year's Pittsburgh team is right up there.

Game one of the SCF was probably the most boring Cup Finals game I've ever watched... well, or tried to. I literally fell asleep during the second period.

You can go ahead and blast me for whining or say I shouldn't watch their games then...

if you are a hockey fan, you would realize that there was nothing BORING about gm 1.

You should watch the NBA (and quit yer trolling / whining) - problem solved!

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I'm the type of person that smiles or laughs when I know I have driven someone up the wall or pissed them off. So I absolutely love all this hate, it's like a warm cozy blanket for me. Just completely enjoyable.

Exact same. Everyone hating us makes these wins more delicious.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
They're only winning because of a vast conspiracy involving hundreds of people from the NHL hierarchy on down to the officials.

If Pens win it doesn't count as back to back winners, it will still be the Wings who done it last because they didn't need the refs and NHL to rig every game.

Vordus

May 9, 2014
Calgary
Over the last 10 years or so, I've always loved watching the Pens on a power play. It's just a thing of beauty watching their forward group working the PP. It's like a goal-scoring factory.

In terms of entertainment value, Pens are one of the funnest teams to watch. And this is coming from someone totally impartial to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad