Pittsburgh is Very Overrated in Terms of Entertainment Value...

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
Okay... so I'm probably going to get ripped to shreds for even bothering to post this, but I'm going to get it off my chest...

I've been following them since the second round. I wanted to see how the team that beat my team would do against a so-called team elite and exciting (and for the record, last year's PIT team was WAY different than this year's in terms of how their games played out).

This team does not excite or interest me at all. I can't get into their "style" of play one bit.

I've seen some boring games/teams, and this year's Pittsburgh team is right up there.

It seems to me like people just think "oh wowserz, Crosby and Malkin! And Kessel! What a high flying team!"

And no, I'm not insinuating those three are boring. You can exclude them.

It's this whole chipping the pucks off the boards, lobbying it in the air garbage that completely ruins any sort of flow or rhythm to their games that I can't stand.

I just think it's funny and ironic that people raked a team like Ottawa over the coals for being "boring" even though the team did what it needed to do in order to win and PIT gets a complete pass.

Game one of the SCF was probably the most boring Cup Finals game I've ever watched... well, or tried to. I literally fell asleep during the second period.

I watched the third and saw NSH tie the game and thought, "okay, now this is quite an intriguing development."

Then PIT takes their first shot in 35 minutes or whatever it was and scores and then gets an empty netter... lol.

It's not just that PIT is boring; I can't understand how this team keeps winning. Is the League so mediocre that no team can beat a team that can't sustain offensive zone pressure or move the puck up ice crisply and neatly?

To be honest, WSH should have beat this team, and I really wish OTT had done so at this point.

I also feel for NSH fans who had to suffer through that.

Rant over.

You can go ahead and blast me for whining or say I shouldn't watch their games then... even though Sens fans had to endure this same type of criticism for three rounds.

And look at that: I'm defending the Sens/their fans now. That says a lot.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Look at their D you might understand why they're chipping it out and keeping it as simple as possible.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Maybe the league should start calling interference again. Nashville stopped nearly every Pens rush in the neutral zone by taking non puck carriers out of the play.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
You know one team has to play a certain way against another team to beat them.

That's how hockey works. IMO it's Pittsburgh grinding it out and capitalizing on few opportunities against teams who stifle the heck out of everyone else.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Their D isn't very good individually. This is how they have to play to win this year... last year they played 'high flying hockey'.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Watching the two best players in the game win Stanley Cups?

Yawn. I wish the Pens were more like the Panthers.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
They don't have the d to play a wide open and exciting game. They're pretty much relying on ugly chip and chase hockey with their d because their backend doesn't have the talent to do much else.

They looked different last year because Letang singlehandedly breaks the puck up the ice for 28 minutes a night.

I'm a Pens fan and so biased but I do think some of the plays they make and especially on the PP is still pretty exciting.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
They went from having Letang control play for half a game, to Schultz whose strength is in the offensive zone and not transitioning. After that the next best is an injured Daley.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
This team was boring last year.

They're boring this year.

But it works I guess.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

useless

Feb 2, 2011
Okay... so I'm probably going to get ripped to shreds for even bothering to post this, but I'm going to get it off my chest...

I've been following them since the second round. I wanted to see how the team that beat my team would do against a so-called team elite and exciting (and for the record, last year's PIT team was WAY different than this year's in terms of how their games played out).

At what point did you start watching during the second round? If you started at 3-1 I understand what you're saying. Up until Crosby got smashed in the head for the concussion along with Sheary the Penguins were very fun and exciting to watch.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Anyone just see the sportsnet anchor screw up calling this the most bizzare boring game!!!

The other guy looked at her like what did you just say'?

I don't think she meant to say that on air but that's what they probably were saying off air, I'm pretty sure just meant to say bizzare but got caught doing a tongue twister ...

trbst11

May 29, 2017
pens are still the highest scoring team in the nhl....so if they are boring then how do other teams rate? They have seen way better defenses in the playoffs. Teams don't typically take many penalties in the playoffs. Put Crosby, malkin, kessel, guentzel on the power play 5 times a game and see what happens.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
pens are still the highest scoring team in the nhl....so if they are boring then how do other teams rate? They have seen way better defenses in the playoffs. Teams don't typically take many penalties in the playoffs. Put Crosby, malkin, kessel, guentzel on the power play 5 times a game and see what happens.

Goals don't equal entertainment.

Scoring chances do. It's the same reason a 1-1 game late doesent mean it was BORing.

No scoring chances in an hour and forty four minutes of real time.

This is of course not relevant to success but it is to what your talking about.

This game was the poster child for why high scoring game (8 goals) don't always equal entertainment

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I guess a lot of teams would be considered boring if we're going to exclude their 3 most exciting players. :dunno:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Looks like I was right! She did make a mistake.

Sportsnet Made her say it was a good game.

Anyone see her at the end there just correct herself saying it wasn't a boring game though! It was a good game!

Going against what she just said five minutes before.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I for one would have loved to see Letang playing right now with them and what it would have done. That D core is horrible IMO, and they have so much invested in marquee players I don't know how they make it work going forward soon. Chicago has been lucky to find diamonds in the rough. Pitt, not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad