News Article: Pittsburgh Film 'Sudden Death' Getting A Remake

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, can we stop for a second and realize that Sudden Death was awful, and the only reason anyone mentions it favorably around here is because of yinzer bias?

It’s a bit like complaining about how Army of Darkness cheapens the legacy of Evil Dead 2.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Also, can we stop for a second and realize that Sudden Death was awful, and the only reason anyone mentions it favorably around here is because of yinzer bias?

It’s a bit like complaining about how Army of Darkness cheapens the legacy of Evil Dead 2.

Oh, Sudden Death was a lot worse than those movies. Even as Van Damme movies go, in which even the "good ones" only have maybe one 5 minute sequence that makes them "good" in the middle of a whole lot of terrible, Sudden Death stands out as particularly idiotic.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Oh, Sudden Death was a lot worse than those movies. Even as Van Damme movies go, in which even the "good ones" only have maybe one 5 minute sequence that makes them "good" in the middle of a whole lot of terrible, Sudden Death stands out as particularly idiotic.

Right, what makes "Sudden Death" remotely funny is the Iceburg fight scenes. I mean, they are meme worthy.

It is fun watching that logo get an ass-kicking.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
As a cinema historian, lemme tell you, Hollywood has always been this broken.

Ain’t nothing new about remakes.
The way the remakes were gone about changed with that godforsaken Psycho remake in 1998. It doesn't really matter which one you want to talk about that has been made beyond that point, almost without exception, they have been worse than the original and made with little to no artistic merit, just for a quick cash grab attempt off an already established brand name. Obviously it is a business, but as an art form, the modern remake is bankrupt.

In terms of remakes before that point, they were so often done with quality in mind. Just a few from the 80s for instance, The Thing, The Fly, The Blob, etc. were often crafted by masters of film, care for the original material, and all were at least as good, if not improvements upon the original.

Well, it's no masterpiece by any means, lol, it can be quite dumb. As kids, we would always rent all the crappy low budget JCVD movies, for whatever reason. So for me, Penguins + JCVD was a fun watch.

Look on the bright side. This is one remake that would be hard pressed to not be better than the original.
I'll bet it manages to be worse.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I was just watching Manhunt: Unabomber and the movie is on TV in one of the episodes.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

It charmed me and I'm half a world away in frosty Manitoba.

If you can't appreciate the absurd excesses of the cheesiest '80s and '90s action movies, you're a little bit dead inside. The villain died after falling through the roof of a hockey arena in a helicopter for God's sake.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It charmed me and I'm half a world away in frosty Manitoba.

If you can't appreciate the absurd excesses of the cheesiest '80s and '90s action movies, you're a little bit dead inside. The villain died after falling through the roof of a hockey arena in a helicopter for God's sake.

You're talking to a man with a Shaw Brothers avatar, my dude. :laugh:

500full-the-crippled-avengers-%28the-return-of-the-5-deadly-venoms%29-screenshot.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad