HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
KnobbyImpracticalAmericanpainthorse-size_restricted.gif

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
My fiance for the last 28 years plus and I were actually in the original. They filmed it at the old Civic Arena, gave free hotdogs and Cokes to whoever came. I am guessing that a young Kessel was there too. Played WBS wearing I forget whose jerseys. Maybe Chicago. Huge number of cut out audience members too.

Was fun actually.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
My fiance for the last 28 years plus and I were actually in the original. They filmed it at the old Civic Arena, gave free hotdogs and Cokes to whoever came. I am guessing that a young Kessel was there too. Played WBS wearing I forget whose jerseys. Maybe Chicago. Huge number of cut out audience members too.

Was fun actually.
Wasn't it actually the Cleveland Lumberjacks dressed in Chicago sweaters?

ETA: Yup. Oral History: The making of hockey action movie 'Sudden Death' - TheHockeyNews

KAREN ELISE BALDWIN: We thought it would be easy – we’d just use our own crowd during a game. Because of the lockout, we had to scramble and figure out how we were going to achieve two teams on the ice and a building full of people.
HOWARD BALDWIN: The lockout didn’t make our lives easier. We had to jump through a lot of hoops in order to get through it, but we did. To get some hockey and crowd footage, the Pittsburgh Penguins played an exhibition match against their minor league team, the Cleveland Lumberjacks in October of 1994. The Lumberjacks were outfitted in Blackhawks uniforms.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I remembered it was a minor league team. That is pretty good for one who has trouble remembering what he had for breakfast this morning.
I hear ya. I remember weird things like that and forget the normal stuff. :help:

I just found out from that article that there was a second scrimmage between Johnstown and Wheeling to get more footage. I don't remember that at all.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I didn’t like Sudden Death and that’s saying something, because as a kid I liked all the Missing in Action films, Neverending Story 2 and North.

It was dingy. Civic Arena was not a good choice. I remember thinking it had worse lighting/color than Slap Shot and that came out 20 years earlier and was filmed in much shittier locations.

Reactions: billybudd

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hope they are changing the team and everything, like there's no good to come from this.

Might as well have Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker play in this one.

"Sudden Death to Rush Hour" two cops trying to keep Gary Bettman from kidnapping Sidney Crosby before fans start trying to get out of the arena to beat the traffic.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad