Pre-Game Talk: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton, 7pm Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Calgary is tying us tonight. This is pretty much a must win. Can't believe teams just consistently refuse to show up against Calgary.

Then come out flying against us....

Edit. Won't flames be ahead of us cause of reg wins?

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Looks like this game got even bigger now that we just got passed by the flames and ducks (potentially)
Calgary does not pass us tonight, it will be tied and we have a game in hand. And all that means is the Oilers need to get their heads out of their ass and play like this is the playoffs.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Calgary does not pass us tonight, it will be tied and we have a game in hand. And all that means is the Oilers need to get their heads out of their ass and play like this is the playoffs.

Just realized that! I was looking at games played and somehow couldn't figure the difference between 66 and 67 :laugh::help:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Calgary is in playoff mode right now. They were so far back that everyone was counting them out of the playoffs. They'll probably be going into the playoffs as the team that no one wants to play at this rate.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Calgary is in playoff mode right now. They were so far back that everyone was counting them out of the playoffs. They'll probably be going into the playoffs as the team that no one wants to play at this rate.

This pains me so much :cry:

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
um well they have 15 games left in the season and they won't continue fluking off getting easy games from teams laying an egg. Oh and i would not be afraid to play the flames at all. We haven't approached playoff mode yet but we better get our head out of our ass soon and some players better grab the spotlight and prove their worth down the stretch.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
This pains me so much :cry:[/QI I disslike the Shames as much as the next person here but it does not pain me at all. Calgary is not a threat to go far lol They could work hard all they want but in the playoffs they will get teams best efforts and they don't scare me at all. The Oilers haven't needed to be in playoff mode like the Shames but now we better get in that mode.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

there's still a lot of games left in the season. I'd argue now is not the time for a hot streak if we're just talking about going full boar right when the playoffs start. Of course being hot now has saved the Flames' season. They had a what, 30% chance of making it? An 8 game win streak is a massive deal.

I never trashed talked the Flames to a crazy degree this year, so I'm not so disturbed by the thought of the Flames passing us in the standings. I am still focused on us clinching a playoff spot.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
I have to say, fans better be loud at this game. We're in the playoffs for the first time in a decade but you wouldn't think it from how ****ing quiet it is at Rogers. The team needs to feel like they are in the playoffs now. If it's not coming from them, the fans have to at least do their part.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Would be nice to finish this home stand off with a string of 6 wins... the team needs to come out for every game like it's a game 7 in the postseason.
Yep.

Right now the Oilers control where they finish. A regulation loss tomorrow and they drop to the Wild Card with the same games remaining as Anaheim and Calgary.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Uh... not to be super contrarian, but Schultz is tied for 4th in league scoring among defensemen. I'm not saying he should be considered this year--many of his points are the result of the generational megastars he plays with and his defensive game is still pretty weak-- but MacT's pronouncement no longer sounds as ridiculous as it used to.

He's having an amazing year, and full credit to him for finding his game.
MacTavish was dumb enough to put Norris Trophy expectations on a rookie D. Did not help him, that's for sure.
Pittsburgh deserves top marks for getting JS to where he is now. I wonder what his next contract will look like.

Last edited:

Oilersfan93

Jun 22, 2016
i see us finishing for a wild card spot and possibly just squeezing into the playoffs with maybe 2 pts in hand over LA. Calgary is quite dynamic in comparison to us. they have great mobile D that can score and dictate the pace of the game, and their forwards can score unlike ours who have no finish whatsoever. Yes we beat them 4-0 this year, but gotta remember they went through a coaching change, which they have finally bought into. Pretty disappointed in the oilers to say the least. Draisaitl looks slow and sluggish out there, pouliot will not be the answer, and even though i like hendricks and his warrior mentality, i just dont see how you can have a him out there when he trips all the time. Unfortunately, age has caught up to him. Pittsburgh will be running circles around us tomorrow and score at will, so that is a pretty much a loss, which would bump us down right into the wild card race..

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I'd call Lander up just for the PK for this one. Hard to hold out a lot of hope for not being in the wildcard spot tomorrow but the Oil have disappeared against bad teams all year and played some great ones(even the ones they blew ithin the last couple of minutes) against the best teams, so who knows. McDavid played a hell of a game against his idol Sid last time. Time to go full McDavid on these fools.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Plus, a guy who owns 6 Penguins just passed me for first in our pool because they won't stop scoring. Difference between $1200 and $600 between first and second. I know that's the price of your dinner out, Oilers but do it for the little guy.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Plus, a guy who owns 6 Penguins just passed me for first in our pool because they won't stop scoring. Difference between $1200 and $600 between first and second. I know that's the price of your dinner out, Oilers but do it for the little guy.

I have 7 oilers on my team, my team is build entirely around them breaking out, and it just doesn't happen. Well, I got McDavid, and of course he has been a beast. But every one else..........:cry:

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I have 7 oilers on my team, my team is build entirely around them breaking out, and it just doesn't happen. Well, I got McDavid, and of course he has been a beast. But every one else..........:cry:

Haha the pool has been around a long time and look at the first overalls for the decade before and I came in as an expansion team just as the Oilers drafted Hall, RNH and Yak. I considered myself truly blessed. Little did I know how mistaken I was. A few years later and I could have McDavid, Drai, etc. At least I traded up for Puljujarvi this year. He didn't come in and Laine it up but I still have hope.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
How are the Oilers not going to burn Talbot out with all the games coming up soon just to keep pace with Calgary?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If anything we will see over the next 3 weeks what this team is really made of which I believe is what Oiler coaches and management want to see as well.

Pressure and competition should make us better. If not we have to get players in that improve when it's all on the line. Hopefully the players show up.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
i see us finishing for a wild card spot and possibly just squeezing into the playoffs with maybe 2 pts in hand over LA. Calgary is quite dynamic in comparison to us. they have great mobile D that can score and dictate the pace of the game, and their forwards can score unlike ours who have no finish whatsoever. Yes we beat them 4-0 this year, but gotta remember they went through a coaching change, which they have finally bought into. Pretty disappointed in the oilers to say the least. Draisaitl looks slow and sluggish out there, pouliot will not be the answer, and even though i like hendricks and his warrior mentality, i just dont see how you can have a him out there when he trips all the time. Unfortunately, age has caught up to him. Pittsburgh will be running circles around us tomorrow and score at will, so that is a pretty much a loss, which would bump us down right into the wild card race..

Have some faith. There was times during the season where we were piling up goals and times when Calgary couldn't score to save their lives. I'm sure Elliott will turn back into his normal self right away as well.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Calgary is tying us tonight. This is pretty much a must win. Can't believe teams just consistently refuse to show up against Calgary.

Regardless of that EDM still needs to take care of business and they aren't lately. :(

Hockey is a game of momentum though. One minute things are in disarray and a few weeks later the team is on fire. Calgary is one of those teams and they will cool down eventually. EDM will win a bunch soon I'm sure. Not worried. It's come playoff time that I hope this team really comes together.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Since it's my first visit I'm keen on getting one of those signed pucks today. Are the hard to get or is there an abundance?

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Amazing to me that Roberto Luongo started over 70 games four years in a row including back to back years of 75 and 76 starts. That seems crazy, Talbot will easily clear 70 starts and it seems like he's played way too much. I think once Luongo made the playoffs his starts decreased because he did tire out. Something we should all be worried about with Talbot. Especially with all the big crease crashing forwards in our division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad