Proposal: Pittsburgh - Anaheim: Nick Bjugstad

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
After reading about Ryan Kesler and doing a cursory view of the Anaheim board, I wondered if there could be a potential match between the Pens and Ducks who have done a lot of business in the past.

With Kesler out and Anaheim maybe having a forward or two too many, could Nick Bjugstad be of interest to the Ducks? I thought Rakell would be the new 2C but it looks like that may be Steel? Not sure where Henrique fits Bjugstad seems to fit the mold of the type of player Anaheim likes.

Penguins need space and ideally a cheap forward/dman or preferably one that can be sent down to WBS. Kesler's LTIR space could easily cover Bjugstad's cap.

Given the plethora of young talent the Ducks have, there could be quite a few options to the Penguins. Thinking someone like Comtois, Larsson, or Benoit. Penguins could even add a pick/prospect on the other end to help even out if needed.

Thoughts?

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
After reading about Ryan Kesler and doing a cursory view of the Anaheim board, I wondered if there could be a potential match between the Pens and Ducks who have done a lot of business in the past.

With Kesler out and Anaheim maybe having a forward or two too many, could Nick Bjugstad be of interest to the Ducks? I thought Rakell would be the new 2C but it looks like that may be Steel? Not sure where Henrique fits Bjugstad seems to fit the mold of the type of player Anaheim likes.

Penguins need space and ideally a cheap forward/dman or preferably one that can be sent down to WBS. Kesler's LTIR space could easily cover Bjugstad's cap.

Given the plethora of young talent the Ducks have, there could be quite a few options to the Penguins. Thinking someone like Comtois, Larsson, or Benoit. Penguins could even add a pick/prospect on the other end to help even out if needed.

Thoughts?
We are in the market for a right handed defenseman. Hard pass.

Reactions: Laus723 and Hank84

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
4.1M with 2 years remaining for a guy who was less than 0.5PPG last season. I don't think there would be much interest unless there was salary coming back.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Thoughts?

Idk I think im pretty much okay with just chilling with what we have and looking for a RHD.

Comtois prob pretty easy no, hes got way too much upside.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
There's no need for Bjugstad in Anaheim. Sam Steel has looked ready in his little time in the NHL, and he's gonna get a good look centering one of the top 3 lines. With Getzlaf and Henrqiue centering the other two, we're set.

Reactions: anezthes

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Honestly I don't see much benefit in trading Bjugstad right now.

Pens made it under the cap, he has a role to play, and we don't have any surefire replacements for 3C.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Anaheim would be adding something. Not big, like a 4th.

Ya I imagine there would be a little more to the trade... not sure what the penguins really need other than getting out of JJ... I personally like Addison a lot, wouldn't mind swapping D prospects(not sure if you guys need LHD or RHD more tho)

From an Anaheim perspective its pretty much dead space anyway, so Johnson can be used as a veteran presence for our young dmen, plus we add another 1st for our rebuild/tool

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Henrique is at least as good as Bjugstad, Steel will be centering one of the top 3 lines for sure, and then there's Getzlaf. We have no room for Big Nick.

Also, Rakell is a winger. They tried him at center years ago and it didn't pan out.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
We have absolutely no need for Bjugstad. We have:

Getzlaf
Steel
Henrique
Rowney
Grant

down the middle already, with Lundestrom, Zegras, and Groulx as top C prospects.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Thinking someone like Comtois, Larsson, or Benoit. Thoughts?

No, thanks.

Wouldn't entertain trading Comtois unless it's for something significant. Not that high on Larsson but he's a cheap and capable 3rd pairing defenseman. Benoit's been impressive thus far in his (brief) pro career. I'd like to hang on to him.

Just don't see a need from ANA's POV. We have enough forwards... we need defensemen.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Idk I think im pretty much okay with just chilling with what we have and looking for a RHD.

Comtois prob pretty easy no, hes got way too much upside.

Agree with this. I’m ready to just chill this season, and look how our first round pick will look. Lots of our prospects are finally putting things together. With next years draft as McDavids year. We got no reason to rush for immediate help.

Pair up Terry, Silf, Comtois etc. This team will do some damage with the centers available in 2020 draft.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Wonder if the Ducks would be interested in Gudbranson. I know Duck fans wouldn't be but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the kind of guy they'd like.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Henrique is at least as good as Bjugstad, Steel will be centering one of the top 3 lines for sure, and then there's Getzlaf. We have no room for Big Nick.

Also, Rakell is a winger. They tried him at center years ago and it didn't pan out.

You’re also not looking at 2020 draft. The top 10 players in this draft can play right now in the league no joke. Adding another centerman makes absolutely no sense when they are likely drafting top 5 with Quinton Byfield, Cole Berfetti, Anton Lundell available by a simple draft pick. We’re talking super star level talent this next year. Like I said this draft class is marked up to be as good as McDavids.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You’re also not looking at 2020 draft. The top 10 players in this draft can play right now in the league no joke. Adding another centerman makes absolutely no sense when they are likely drafting top 5 with Quinton Byfield, Cole Berfetti, Anton Lundell available by a simple draft pick. We’re talking super star level talent this next year. Like I said this draft class is marked up to be as good as McDavids.
Im more interested in the wingers... zegras - steel - lundy - groulx is pretty good down the middle.

Even a few of the rhd would be solid pick ups

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Wonder if the Ducks would be interested in Gudbranson. I know Duck fans wouldn't be but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the kind of guy they'd like.
Sounds like Bob Murray is looking for an offensive dman (Shattenkirk, Faulk), so I doubt Gudbranson is on his radar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad