Value of: PIT's 2023 1st round pick.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
This core group has done its best and it's time to recognize reality and move on.
When the core is still scoring at PPG+ you continue to build around. Your closer to winning than blowing it all up and not seeing anything close to a championship in 15 years if your lucky.

Loimike

Feb 26, 2013
Toronto
When the core is still scoring at PPG+ you continue to build around. Your closer to winning than blowing it all up and not seeing anything close to a championship in 15 years if your lucky.
And if you allow more goals than you score and you lose more than you win ?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This core group can't even make the playoffs anymore. You always need to start a rebuild a couple of years before a complete collapse.

Reactions: Oneiro

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Moving it for either a goaltender or a LD that can play behind or above Pettersson.

Would Calgary be willing to do something around Hanifin + Markstrom for Ty Smith, the 1st, and small cap dump like Ruhwedel or Friedman?

Would Nashville or Winnipeg move Helle or Saros for a package involving it?
The dream is over for now my man. Just enjoy the past.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Considering the Penguins more recent draft history (from 2016 to present) it would not surprise me to see the Pengunis trade down at the draft to get more picks.

Only two players picked by the Penguins from 2016 to 2022 have player in at least 20 games and they were both traded before they were able to play a game with them.
The only problem with this is Pittsburgh hasn’t been drafting good / lack of firsts. So I would take the rare lottery pick and run up to the stage as quick as possible and never look back.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Goalies are the running backs of the NHL. They are the least valuable position and many can succeed if put in the right system. I’d be shocked if any go for multiple blue chip prospects/high 1st round draft picks. They are barely drafted in the 1st round anymore

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Each of those players have two NHL seasons of experience. What do the Penguins care about a draft pick who maybe will pan out two years from now when Crosby's contract is up by then?
Finally a comment from a non-Pens fan who actually gets our situation.

Pens need a goalie by trade. Not sure our 1st gets us Saros, and that's understandable, but this is the type of return we are shooting for. We'd ideally like a guy somewhere in between Saros (too pricey) and Gibson/Vejmelka (would be welcomed, but we're happy to pay more than what these would cost if the piece is right).

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Tell me you don't watch Penguins hockey without telling me you don't watch Penguins hockey.
I watch it all the time. This core is getting older, has missed the playoffs and needs to be eventually replaced. The time to start doing it is now.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
It seems like replacing the decision makers was done with this purpose.
This. The time to trade Crosby / Malkin is now.
My brothers in Christ... what you're talking about is a fever dream. The idea of Sid playing with McKinnon and Malkin with Kucherov is cute and all, but it's never happening. You can bet your house on them retiring in Pittsburgh.

Letang, maybe there is a small chance he finishes his career somewhere else in 2027 when Sid and Geno hang up the skates but I'd also bet on him finishing in Pittsburgh. This isn't a Ray Bourque situation.

The change in management was long overdue, and hopefully we get a coaching change too. But just because those things changed doesn't mean we ship out our HOF franchise legend centers who have chosen to lock in with the same team their whole career.

New GM will come in, hopefully acquire a new goalie by trade and do a re-tool (that won't involve 87 and 71) and then Pens will run the gamut until the wheels quite literally fall off.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
My brothers in Christ... what you're talking about is a fever dream. The idea of Sid playing with McKinnon and Malkin with Kucherov is cute and all, but it's never happening. You can bet your house on them retiring in Pittsburgh.

Letang, maybe there is a small chance he finishes his career somewhere else in 2027 when Sid and Geno hang up the skates but I'd also bet on him finishing in Pittsburgh. This isn't a Ray Bourque situation.

The change in management was long overdue, and hopefully we get a coaching change too. But just because those things changed doesn't mean we ship out our HOF franchise legend centers who have chosen to lock in with the same team their whole career.

New GM will come in, hopefully acquire a new goalie by trade and do a re-tool (that won't involve 87 and 71) and then Pens will run the gamut until the wheels quite literally fall off.

1. Keep religion out of this.

2. The comment you replied to wasn't advocating a Crosby trade.

3. Write some other fiction.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Pens have jumped the shark. Re-tooling is futile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad