Value of: PIT's 2023 1st round pick.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Moving it for either a goaltender or a LD that can play behind or above Pettersson.

Would Calgary be willing to do something around Hanifin + Markstrom for Ty Smith, the 1st, and small cap dump like Ruhwedel or Friedman?

Would Nashville or Winnipeg move Helle or Saros for a package involving it?

Hell no.

Pittsburgh doesn't have the right assets to get Saros if we decided we wanted to move him.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Unfortunately the Pens dont have the assets to trade for Markstrom & Hanafin or one of Helle or Saros.

I don't know what they could possibly add on top of that 1st.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Unfortunately the Pens dont habe the assets to trade fot Markstrom & Hanafin or one of Helle or Saros.

I don't know what they could possibly add on top of that 1st.

Do you think Markstrom has value? I'd assume part of the value balance would be them getting out of that contract given they have Vladar and Wolf.

Hell no.

Pittsburgh doesn't have the right assets to get Saros if we decided we wanted to move him.

What do you expect Saros to return?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Why would Pittsburgh trade it's 1st round pick after missing the playoffs? They're better off keeping it and using it to help start the process of building a new future.

The 1st round this year will likely be 25-26 once this team is coming out of its rebuild if they are lucky.

Exactly. If they’re lucky (like they always are when owning lottery picks), they could move up into the top five picks.

Obviously if it's top five you keep it. But if we are picking between 13th to 16th it makes no sense with the current contract situation in PIT to keep it.

• Haha
Reactions: Daz28 and Ericbc

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We'd need a young impact player/prospect coming back or very high pick(s). We've already got middle firsts from dealing Ekholm and Jeannot and Saros is worth a lot more than that.
You have to remember we have no reason to trade Saros right now with Askarov still needing a year or two in the minors.

Makes sense. So you are expecting Ottawa to give up a player like Pinto or Buffalo to give up Portillo + or something?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Portillo the Kings goalie? I'd want someone like Sanderson or Power coming back, a potential impact player that it'd hurt to give up.

Yikes. I don't think a goaltender has ever been moved for that level of player..

Gibson and Henrique (with retention) to the Pens for the 1st plus something else makes a bit of sense.

I don't think the Penguins can afford to take on Henrique with his age. Only way I'd do this trade is if it was a 1st plus Granlund, but that seems like too big of a cap dump for Anaheim.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yikes. I don't think a goaltender has ever been moved for that level of player..

I don't think the Penguins can afford to take on Henrique with his age. Only way I'd do this trade is if it was a 1st plus Granlund, but that seems like too big of a cap dump for Anaheim.

Teams also don't give up Vezina caliber goalies in their primes. Saros is a top 3-5 goalie and makes 5m for the next two years.

Saros has about 100 more wins and two(will be three) top 10 Vezina finishes compared to Cory Schneider when he was traded for a top 10 pick.

We're also not looking to move him, other teams are looking to acquire him.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021

With retention at around $3m he'd be useful either replacing Zucker or more likely replacing Carter as the 3C

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Moving it for either a goaltender or a LD that can play behind or above Pettersson.

Would Calgary be willing to do something around Hanifin + Markstrom for Ty Smith, the 1st, and small cap dump like Ruhwedel or Friedman?

Would Nashville or Winnipeg move Helle or Saros for a package involving it?

Deal to the 1st one.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Teams also don't give up Vezina caliber goalies in their primes. Saros is a top 3-5 goalie and makes 5m for the next two years.

Saros has about 100 more wins and two(will be three) top 10 Vezina finishes compared to Cory Schneider when he was traded for a top 10 pick.

We're also not looking to move him, other teams are looking to acquire him.

Schenider had team control though.

That's fine though. Hopefully you get the value you believe if moved.

With retention at around $3m he'd be useful either replacing Zucker or more likely replacing Carter as the 3C

It's more adding another 30+ year old forward who has neither size nor grit. I think Henrique is a good player, but without moving out Carter or Granlund, I can't support adding more age and less physicality.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Because Tampa is desperate as are the Oilers in going all in. Be grateful you got that. You won both trades. Doesn’t mean you’d win a third.

Owen Power?

Power, Beniers, Sanderson, Byfield, Seider, etc.

Young prospects/players with high potential...we can get and have gotten quantity elsewhere. We're not moving Saros unless a high value asset is coming back and Pittsburgh has none. Maybe a couple firsts starting when Crosby and Malkin retire, but that could be a few years to pay off for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad