Confirmed with Link: Pitlick signed, 1 year, $725k

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He plays a high tempo energy game with a lot of hitting I don't think offensive production is that big a point of emphasis, his AHL --> NHL equivalency has him at 17 points in a 4th line role that's a perfectly fine number. He just needs to stay healthy and consistently bring the strong elements of his game to the forefront.

Exactly. We need these type of players in the bottom 6, many do not understand the come up of a grinder. They take time, we are not asking him to perform in the top 6.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Ok, so he likely saw the "writing on the wall" with this contract offer.

Yeah, pretty much. The Oilers might have let him know that while this is close, they weren't willing to go higher, and Pitlick might have thought he wasn't going to do any better in free agency.

Or he's happy being in Bakersfield and trying to make the Oilers, and wanted a contract as soon as possible.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Pitlick
Marincin
Hamilton
Martindale
Pelss

The kid who might have turned out passed away. At least Marincin became a player

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Surprised they are giving him another shot. He was complete garbage in camp last year despite having the inside track at a 4th line spot and once again spent the year mired in injuries.

Meh. I guess he'll get another shot in camp and likely will spend the year in the minors. Decent AHLer when he can play.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
No ****ing kidding eh?

I mean if it was just one year, like your example about Brodeur, but what a rough 5-6 year span during the high second round!

Oh well, new head scouts. Can only get better I imagine.

On the topic of Pitlick, I always liked what he brought. If WE'RE this frustrated when it comes to his injuries, just think how he feels.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
No doubt he's a trooper for carrying on, but it seemed like he was constantly going between the bench and the trainers room in most games he played last year. He's the absolute personification of a band-aid. It's not just the big injuries that are the issue. The guy is always hobbled by several at a time. He has never been 100%.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
He is a failed project. Would've rather signed another NCAA free agent and given him the minutes/AHL roster spot than Pitlick.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Surprised they are giving him another shot. He was complete garbage in camp last year despite having the inside track at a 4th line spot and once again spent the year mired in injuries.

Meh. I guess he'll get another shot in camp and likely will spend the year in the minors. Decent AHLer when he can play.

yup, me too with the meh! if he stays healthy he should be able to play on the Oilers at some time during the season if he shows well in the AHL, but really this is likely his very last chance and i'm hoping he realizes this.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Pitlick's downfall is that in order to make the NHL he has to play a style that his body just can't seem to withstand.

It's too bad because otherwise I think he has the potential to at least carve out a Hendricks-like career for himself.

As it stands, I would recommend to Tyler that he save every penny he can from this deal, as it could be the last NHL contract he sees if his body continues to betray him.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Pity contract. Another way of Chia saying, here's some cash to restart your life.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Pitlick is getting sold short by some here.

Each callup he's looked like a effective 4th/3rd line player. He just literally can not stay healthy and in the lineup.

Nothing really to lose with the signing.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
We are only at 39 contracts.. Not sure how this is being considered a bad signing by some.

Pakarinen, Oesterle should be the other 2 we should re-sign giving us plenty of flexibility to fill out the NHL and AHL rosters..

Oilers can afford to move away from Hunt and Musil if they are going D shopping on the UFA market.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We are only at 39 contracts.. Not sure how this is being considered a bad signing by some.

Pakarinen, Oesterle should be the other 2 we should re-sign giving us plenty of flexibility to fill out the NHL and AHL rosters..

Oilers can afford to move away from Hunt and Musil if they are going D shopping on the UFA market.

no a bad signing--many of us are just reminded how pumped we were when he got drafted and how was was supposed to be the perfect 3rd line winger who could bang, crash and score-- we now 6 years from his draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad