Proposal: Pit - Van

Cquant

May 14, 2015
We have no need to get rid of Eriksson at the moment. Getting rid of him does not cost a young player like Virtanen and the price of buying out Jack Johnson for the next.. correct me if I'm wrong but it'd be about 2.5 million for the next 8 years. Roussel is also a fan favorite, and I'd seriously argue that Eriksson's value is higher than Johnson's at this point in time.

I don't see why Vancouver would be interested.

Despite Virtanen being advertised as a bust by everyone odd poster on this forum, there seems to be far too much interest. Even if it's just interest in getting him cheap.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Patric Hornqvist + Jack Johnson

For

Erikkson, Roussel, Virtanen

Vancouver buys out JJ after next year and adds Virtanen and Roussel as a sweetener for the Erikkson deal going away.

Eriksson vs Hornqvist is practicly a wash here...

5.3M$ for a 37pts winger who played w/ C's of the likes of Crosby and Malkin isn't going to have positive value on the market... Not only that, but his deal is also a year longer than Eriksson

ZERO reason for the Canucks to take on another dump (Johnsson) AND hand away a good grinder and a young guy whO,s just starting to pick it up @ the NHL level

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

5.3M$ for a 37pts winger who played w/ C's of the likes of Crosby and Malkin isn't going to have positive value on the market... Not only that, but his deal is also a year longer than Eriksson

ZERO reason for the Canucks to take on another dump (Johnsson) AND hand away a good grinder and a young guy whO,s just starting to pick it up @ the NHL level

Hornqvist rarely played with Sid and Malkin this year. He also had 37 points in 69 games which is a decent enough pace.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Hornqvist rarely played with Sid and Malkin this year. He also had 37 points in 69 games which is a decent enough pace.

Doesn't change the fact he'S owed more money than Eriksson, while being a 40-45pts winger.

Eriksson isn't good, but Hornqvist isn't worth 5.3M$ either. Taking on 2 cap dumps for ine and a couple of good young players isn't going to go far for the Vancovuer Canucks

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Johnson, according to some Pittsburgh fans, is worth your next 2nd round pick just to clear out.

I have no trouble with Hornquist, but he's not going to be as productive here, and that has to be taken into account.

We might not hit the cap floor if we move Eriksson, despite his desire to move on, given that Edler is potentially moving on and the big free agent fish are being resigned. He sucks, and we'd have to pay to move him, but the problem is the rest of the trade.

Roussel is working out wonderfully. He got 31 points in fewer games then Hornqvists 37. Straight up maybe an argument can be made for a trade, but we're happy standing pay here.

Virtanen is still more valuable (to us) then any piece here. He's improved year over year every year, and we haven't put this much time and effort into grooming him for a role with this team to see him put it together for Pittsburgh.

A big no thank you here.

Reactions: Jim Rutherford

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

29 points in 81 games and 37 points in 69 games. You think that's a wash?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Doesn't change the fact he'S owed more money than Eriksson, while being a 40-45pts winger.

Eriksson isn't good, but Hornqvist isn't worth 5.3M$ either. Taking on 2 cap dumps for ine and a couple of good young players isn't going to go far for the Vancovuer Canucks

In real dollars.

My assumption would be they’d roll a line with Pettersson and Hornqvist dropping Boeser to the Horvat line.

Hornqvist has some freak injuries this year, before them he was on a 40 goal pace primarily playing on the 3rd and 4th.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Malkin was Hornqvist 2nd most common teammate at 5v5 and most common team in all situation. Whereas Crosby was 2nd in all situation and 4th at 5v5... so yes they played with each other.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

227 mins with Malkin even strength
144 mins with Crosby even strength

371 mins total. About little bit over 1/3 of the season

Correct me if I am wrong. I think Hornqvist is on the 1st pp unit with them as well

Reactions: Jim Rutherford

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
29 points in 81 games and 37 points in 69 games. You think that's a wash?

Taking our lack of generational players here into account, and that we are including a player whose production we can consider a wash (Roussel), and our only other physical winger, and a cap dump coming back, it's still an awful offer.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

Hornie is light years better than Erickson now. Not close as far as production.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Taking our lack of generational players here into account, and that we are including a player whose production we can consider a wash (Roussel), and our only other physical winger, and a cap dump coming back, it's still an awful offer.

Roussel and Hornqvist are not a wash dude come on. Also the assumption was Hornqvist would play with Pettersson.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The only asset with any value is Virtanen. Pittsburgh runs away laughing with that deal.

I mean, most Pens fans opposed it when I brought it up. So...

Erikkson’s contract is hilariously bad at this point.

I mean honestly you can take out Virtanen and make it a 3rd.

The point of the trade was to off set Erikkson and JJ with Hornqvist and Roussel.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Roussel and Hornqvist are not a wash dude come on. Also the assumption was Hornqvist would play with Pettersson.

Six fewer points on a worse team in fewer games without Crosby/Malkin? That's not any different to my eyes. In addition to the matched physicality, I feel Roussel is the better provocateur as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad