Proposal: PIT - STL

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
The fact that both teams fans don't seem to want to make this deal actually shows me that the value is kind of even. But as a Pens fan, I dont think switching Maata for Eddy on the current roster is the answer for what ails us this year. So I'd say value-wise it's fairly even but dont know what the point would be

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The fact that both teams fans don't seem to want to make this deal actually shows me that the value is kind of even. But as a Pens fan, I dont think switching Maata for Eddy on the current roster is the answer for what ails us this year. So I'd say value-wise it's fairly even but dont know what the point would be

I think Maatta’s value is almost impossible to know. But a 24 year old cost controlled top 4 guy who can put up okay points plus our top prospect (skilled righty PMD) is a lot to send out, regardless of how highly you value Maatta or Addison.

Overall yeah I agree, Edmundson is a good player but the wrong fit. Need a guy who’s more of a puck mover.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Does Maatta suck now or am I missing something?

Depends who you ask. He's struggling a little this season, but for some his poor skating (he's slow - or more accurately is slow turning and in his first few strides) ultimately overrides all other factors. On the ice he's usually extremely effective to the point that his skating isn't nearly the issue that some make it out to be. I mean in the POs last season, he was #4 in TOI and only had 2 ES goals scored against him (and 1 should have been blown down on an obvious penalty), and PIT was a sieve goal wise in the POs last season. He needs to be paired with a strong PMD to be at his best. Maatta can move the puck and skate with it... but put him with someone who's better at it then him, and you'll get the best out of him.

As for this deal I wouldn't do it. Not with Addison involved. Even just Maatta for Edmundson would be iffy. Not because of the value (1-1), which I think is fair, but because of the lack of puck movement that Edmundson has. Not saying he's bad, but I think he's worse then Maatta there. Pittsburgh already struggles in this area, and I think Maatta is better at that then JE is. If Schultz was healthy or we had another solid PMD back there, this wouldn't be a concern. But we don't, and thus it is what it is.

In short the only way I'd be happy with OM for JE, is if Rutherford already had a plan to move JJ/Oleksiak and bring in another PMD to pair with Edmunson. But when you hear about how hard it is to make trades... I question how realistic that is.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Honestly Giving up Edmondson would be a huge hit to our defense. Unless we are blowing it up, (which would be a mistake at this point) then we shouldn't move him. Instead we have Gunnerson, Jaybo, Maroon, Johnson, Soshnikov and Bortuzo coming off the books. That's 14 million coming off. Money to increase RFAs you want to keep and money to find a dman and goalie in free-agency to stabilize team. I think blues are not to far off from contention. You can laugh at me but one night we can destroy a top team another we lose. I don't think blowing it up is needed at this moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad