Proposal: PIT - SJS

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
3,1,4,5,2 (In general, with players in this range, the answer is going to be shorter contracts. Not because they are necessarily bad, but because a year of decreased production makes them completely useless if they are one way guys, and if they keep producing they likely don't get significant raises. I didn't look up any of these guys but who they play on a line with is probably a big part of it, too.)

3 was Granlund, 1 was Terevainen, 4 was Garland, 5 was Strome and 2 was Bjorkstrand. Now there is obviously more to hockey than just point production, but it's still kinda bizarre to me how different I think these guys are valued around the league.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks likely aren’t taking a big cap contract of any sort unless it’s to move one of their own like Karlsson or they’re paid to do it. I would get why Pittsburgh wouldn’t do this deal because a team that is maybe playoff competitive might pay a 3rd or something for Granlund but we’re not that team. Now a Karlsson deal with Granlund and the 1st involved is probably more in line with what the Sharks want to do but who knows where Pittsburgh is at on that front.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That is a really steep price for Pittsburgh to unload Granlund. I don't think it's necessarily an unreasonable, or shocking pricetag for that much salary moving out. But i also don't know that Pittsburgh can afford to blow that 1st round pick on it. They need young cheap players, and that 1st is one of the only things that has a chance of contributing while Crosby/Malkin/Letang are still competent top-end players.

Really do not envy the task of trying to get rid of Granlund...without coughing up that 1st rounder though. Every team is going to start the bidding with that piece...and there's a bit of a drop-off in available value from there that'll make negotiations tough.

I will also say though...Dubas for all his faults, has shown he can get pretty creative with trades and different picks and prospects moving around to try to make the "value" line up. So maybe he'll figure something out, swapping future picks around or something instead.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Based on this draft pick value chart. 14 is valued at 297.13 and 26tis valued at 173.8. That difference is about 126, which is close to the value of 33.

I dunno. 14th overall is a good pick in this draft. Sharks potentially can get a player like Hertl given their history of drafting.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Why would we give up a 1st rounder in a deep draft to get rid of Granlund's salary?
Just better to buy him out instead!

2023-24 Cap Hit: $833,333
2024-25 Cap Hit: $1,833,333
2025-26 Cap Hit: $1,833,333
2026-27 Cap Hit: $1,833,333

The other option is to ship him out at 50% off. Granlund isn't cooked, just had a bad 20 games with the Penguins.

I would also see how the rest of the puzzle fits before thinking about giving up assets to get rid of Granlund.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just as a concept, what would Sharks fans think of swapping Granlund for Simek? I don't think Simek is any good, frankly he seems like he stinks, but the Penguins can stash him in the AHL for only a $1.2 million or so cap penalty.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Just as a concept, what would Sharks fans think of swapping Granlund for Simek? I don't think Simek is any good, frankly he seems like he stinks, but the Penguins can stash him in the AHL for only a $1.2 million or so cap penalty.
I’d be fine with that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Why would SJ do that?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would SJ do that?

Because San Jose gets out of an overpaid deal for a bad player and at least gets some NHL usefulness out of it. Plus they very likely can get positive assets for Granlund in a year as a rental.

I would imagine that no one is paying anything for Simek right now, but you can likely get a 3rd or so for Granlund at the deadline in 2024. The only thing it costs is cap space when the Sharks aren't even close to the cap.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Because San Jose gets out of an overpaid deal for a bad player and at least gets some NHL usefulness out of it. Plus they very likely can get positive assets for Granlund in a year as a rental.

I would imagine that no one is paying anything for Simek right now, but you can likely get a 3rd or so for Granlund at the deadline in 2024. The only thing it costs is cap space when the Sharks aren't even close to the cap.
Sharks are close to the cap and Simek’s deal is up this year. Unless PIT is adding something to make up for the difference in cap absolutely not.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Neither helps the sharks next year and by the time the team is in position to contend Granlund will be 40

The point of acquiring Granlund isn't to have him when you're contending. It's to trade him for value as a rental next year (as in 2024-2025) when he's a pending UFA.

With Simek, you're getting no value because he's a fringe NHL defenseman making decent money. With Granlund, you're paying more but you also have the chance at getting positive value back for him.

Sharks don’t need an actual NHL player. They either need picks/prospects or cap flexibility. The deal offers neither so it makes absolutely no sense for SJ.

And that's what the Sharks will get when they trade Granlund as a rental.

Granlund for Simek adds $2.75 million for the Sharks next year while it gives them an actual NHL player. The year after, Granlund will be a rental and will be very easily tradeable for value.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
The point of acquiring Granlund isn't to have him when you're contending. It's to trade him for value as a rental next year (as in 2024-2025) when he's a pending UFA.

With Simek, you're getting no value because he's a fringe NHL defenseman making decent money. With Granlund, you're paying more but you also have the chance at getting positive value back for him.

And that's what the Sharks will get when they trade Granlund as a rental.
But why do this when the Sharks can just get paid NOW to take a worse player, instead of maybe payed later?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But why do this when the Sharks can just get paid NOW to take a worse player, instead of maybe payed later?

Because teams aren't going to pay value on top of the trade because they're taking bad dead money as well.

Do you guys like pay attention to other trades in the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad