Proposal: PIT - SJS

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think you can have the 3rd round pick or you can have Barabanov but not both in this instance but I do think it is close value-wise and I hope the Sharks would be willing to take on cap for picks. Barabanov is likely worth somewhere between a 2nd and a 3rd round pick on his own so throwing him back in a salary deal is probably not the most effective course of action. Now if it were Lindblom that would be a different story.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Alexander Barabanov will be a UFA at the end of next season, I doubt the Pens give a 1st for a player that could walk after 1 season.

Pittsburgh’s prospect pool is dam near non-existent as the Pens only drafted 3 players in the 1st round since 2012. The Pens shouldn’t be trading their mid 1st round pick in a particularly good draft.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I do not think its brutal for Pitt, however seeing as how Pitt has like 20 mil cap and no one important to sign, I am not sure why getting a side grade for Granlund that is 2.5mil cheaper and slightly younger, is worth using a 1st.

I think this deal would be much more even if Pitt was up hard against the cap.

As a Sharks fan, Id do this one though, we need more 1st level prospects for our rebuild and Barabanov is certainly not a long term piece so yeah.

Reactions: Wattsburgh

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Can we stop pretending Granlund is awful and a cap dump? He struggled in his short time with Pittsburgh but was a good winger prior. With Zucker gone most likely, he can take on a top 6 role and we’ll see if he bounces back.

Absolutely not attaching the 14OA to him for any reason.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I think Granlund can be dumped without much of a cost : except for 20 games in PIT, he is still a 50 point player on 5m deal (not good not bad).

CHI or ARI could take that contract hoping to flip it at TDL if he comes back to 50 points.
Except he’s signed for 2 more years, not one. Not a likely deadline trade.

and Arizona doesn’t take on salary, just cap.

and Chicago has indicated they will use their cap space strategically, to obtain assets.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Is trading 14 overall for extra equipment at Play it Again Sports from the clearance rack your next proposal?

Can we stop pretending Granlund is awful and a cap dump? He struggled in his short time with Pittsburgh but was a good winger prior. With Zucker gone most likely, he can take on a top 6 role and we’ll see if he bounces back.

He’s obsessed with getting likes or just being liked in this section I think. Because his Pens offers are the dumbest trades I’ve seen since Chris Archer to Pittsburgh.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013

This 100 times over.

Sully needs to play to his strengths as a playmaking winger, I'll never understand why he was brought in to be a shutdown 3C. In Nashville he was getting 55% o-zone starts and 3 mins of PP time per game on their 1st unit, after being traded Sully gave him 30% o-zone starts and put him on the Pens' 2nd PP unit getting a bit more than a minute of PP time per game. It just doesn't make any sense.

Spending valuable assets to move him is just bad asset management at this point.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
This 100 times over.

Sully needs to play to his strengths as a playmaking winger, I'll never understand why he was brought in to be a shutdown 3C. In Nashville he was getting 55% o-zone starts and 3 mins of PP time per game on their 1st unit, after being traded Sully gave him 30% o-zone starts and put him on the Pens' 2nd PP unit getting a bit more than a minute of PP time per game. It just doesn't make any sense.

Spending valuable assets to move him is just bad asset management at this point.
I agree dumping the 14th overall pick just to get rid of Granlund just doesn’t make sense for Pittsburgh as they could gain a valuable asset with that 14th overall pick in the deep 2023 draft.

Barabanov only has 1 season left on his deal before he hits UFA so this deal would eventually end in lost assets for nothing but a late 3rd and high 4th which are lottery tickets at best.

I know Pittsburgh fans were pissed when Granlund was acquired by Hextall but Granlund is still a useful playmaking defensive forward. The issue is Granlund was never a big goal scorer as he is more of a puck moving threat, with his passing abilities, which is why he may draw the ire of Pens fans moving forward if Mikael doesn’t produce goals.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I get why Penguins fans wouldn’t like this one, but Barabanov is incredibly underrated. He would thrive alongside Crosby or Malkin and would surely sign a reasonable contract with them at the end of the year. The problem is that the 14th overall is just about the only marginally attractive asset the Penguins have.

Reactions: Grinner

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I mean I’d do it. It seems fair too. Spoonfeed Granlund some really offensive minutes and see if we can flip him for a 2nd at the deadline.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I get why Penguins fans wouldn’t like this one, but Barabanov is incredibly underrated. He would thrive alongside Crosby or Malkin and would surely sign a reasonable contract with them at the end of the year. The problem is that the 14th overall is just about the only marginally attractive asset the Penguins have.

With what position? The Penguins have Rakell and Rust as RWers, both of who are better than Barabanov.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All three of those guys can play both sides.

Rust absolutely can't play LW and Rakell needs to stay on RW with Crosby. I'm also not particularly interested in seeing how good Barabanov can play on LW considering he has seemingly played all of his career on RW.

I'd much rather get an established LWer that we know how good they'll be on LW rather than a RWer with unknown performance on LW.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
With what position? The Penguins have Rakell and Rust as RWers, both of who are better than Barabanov.
Firstly, I know points aren’t everything, but Barabanov scored the same number of points in 11 less games this year on the putrid Sharks as Rust did playing with Crosby or Malkin. Barabanov was the Sharks best forward all year other than Meier and does so many good things outside of just putting up points. I’d take him over Rust easily.

Secondly, then just play him at RW? He can’t play both just fine.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Firstly, I know points aren’t everything, but Barabanov scored the same number of points in 11 less games this year on the putrid Sharks as Rust did playing with Crosby or Malkin. Barabanov was the Sharks best forward all year other than Meier and does so many good things outside of just putting up points. I’d take him over Rust easily.

Secondly, then just play him at RW? He can’t play both just fine.

Lmao that's hilarious.

In the 3 years before this year, Rust had 156 points in 171 games. Barabanov's career high before last year was 39 points in 70 games.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lmao that's hilarious.

In the 3 years before this year, Rust had 156 points in 171 games. Barabanov's career high before last year was 39 points in 70 games.
Not the own you think it is. Barabanov can and has played left wing just fine and most wingers can switch fairly easily.

Reactions: Gecklund

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not the own you think it is. Barabanov can and has played left wing just fine and most wingers can switch fairly easily.

On the Penguins this sure hasn't been true.

But the overall point is that calling Barabanov better than Rust is just a hilarious overreaction to 1 season where Barabanov was playing with one of the best offensive performances from a defenseman all time.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad