Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins re-sign F Rickard Rakell (6 years, $5M AAV)

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The window to compete for a cup is long closed. Too shallow. Too soft...don't have the goaltending. Aging slowing and the competition is better . Toronto tampa NYR Florida Carolina all better and will finish ahead leaving pitt to battle Boston NYI Washington etc for a wild card spot at best . The window is shut for a cup but slightly open to compete for a playoff spot. Mushy middle
That's such an absurd take, in my opinion. I agree last year they didn't have the goal-tending and were shallow, missed their best defensive player to injury, and multiple top 6 F's and a #3 goalie at best.

I think it's beyond naive to think their window as a cup contender is closed, especially "long closed" lol. But hey only time will tell, I guess.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The Kane deal looks a lot better than this one.
If the two players were programmable hockey robots, I would agree with you.

But they're human beings, and one has shown himself to be a good fit with the Pens already. While the other has a history of imploding in multiple situations. And he's getting paid accordingly.

Conversely if Rakell had the kind of spring Kane had, he'd be looking at 7-8M right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad