Claimed off Waivers: [PIT] Penguins claim D John Ludvig off waivers from the Panthers

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hopefully he does not get caught in the Ty Smith vortex of guys behind POJ for that last LHD spot with the Penguin.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Hoping he can play RD and be the #6
Sullivan’s obsession with only letting D men play their natural side will kill this.

Shea did get looks playing RD, but it’s hard to tell if Sully is becoming slightly less stubborn or he is just playing favorites for a fellow Masshole.

In conclusion, we’re stuck with Chad Ruhwedel attempting to play hockey as the #6.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens need a guy to play 10 minutes a night in a shut down/PK/physical presence role on the right side. I'd prefer if he was a RHS, but even still I think that's where he fits. They are 5 deep already on the left side with Graves, Pettersson, POJ, Smith and now Shea. We'll see what happens.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If he is the physical presence the Pens need more of this fine. Dubas is looking for guys who can bring some element of physical play and Sullivan needs to play them. Ruhwedel fills a role and will see time as a RH 3rd pairing D man. He is not a big problem as Letang and Karlsson will see most of the RS ice time. POJ is younger D man but he needs to improve here. I can see him dealt for the cap space room.
Graves Letang
Petts karlsson
Ludvig Ruhwedel
Shea.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
If he is the physical presence the Pens need more of this fine. Dubas is looking for guys who can bring some element of physical play and Sullivan needs to play them. Ruhwedel fills a role and will see time as a RH 3rd pairing D man. He is not a big problem as Letang and Karlsson will see most of the RS ice time. POJ is younger D man but he needs to improve here. I can see him dealt for the cap space room.
Graves Letang
Petts karlsson
Ludvig Ruhwedel
Shea.
One question with Mike Sullivan is will he play a player who has never played in one NHL regular season game yet. Pens fans know how stubborn he is especially with younger players.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Sullivan’s obsession with only letting D men play their natural side will kill this.
The history of him playing d-men on their off-side is quite clear for me. It's players that can expose the puck and not immediately lose it that have that opportunity. Given the roster construction over the years, this has mostly been below-the-line players and those guys generally don't have the puck skills.

It's a good philosophy to have (Scotty Bowman). It's a huge disadvantage for d-men who play like Ruhwedel, Ludvig, etc. to have to attack the wall on their backhand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad