Claimed off Waivers: [PIT] Penguins claim D John Ludvig off waivers from the Panthers

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I like this. He fills a need with his physicality and defensive prowess. I always thought that he was a little bit underrated. He plays similar to another Czech, Gudas.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He seems like an interesting player, only 23 years old and brings physicality from the scouting reports.

The bigger thing I'm curious to see is how the Penguins become roster compliant before 5 PM today. Right now, they have 8 defenseman who all require waivers and they can't afford to run with a 23 man roster. Since they didn't waive anyone today, that means they'll either have to go into tomorrow with 12 F and 8 D or they have to trade one of their defensemen. With Guentzel likely playing but still not officially good to go, I can't see any way they go into tomorrow with only 12 F.

I wonder if we'll see a Chad Ruhwedel trade sometime in the new few hours.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I actually pride myself on knowing obscure minor league players who are “claimable”
and I can say with 100% comfort that I’ve never heard of Dr. Ludvig in my entire life.

Wow, Dubas is a friggen snake.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This doesn't surprise me at all. Pens have a few regional scouts that were scouts in Seattle and Kamloops that played against Ludwig while he was in Portland and he was a VERY good player there and highly regarded

Same reason why they nabbed Harkins and also are drafting more WHL guys lately(Jagger/Pickering)

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s a pretty solid prospect. I know Florida fans have been bullish on him for a while…felt like he was on the cusp of getting some real buzz and an NHL call-up when injury basically ruined two seasons.

Sneaky good pickup for the Pens IMO…I think he can carve out a good career as a third pairing guy. This is a shrewd waiver wire move - not a “name” one…and that’s the better kind.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Seems to be a good move for the Pens. If he adds some physicality to our team which is much needed and solid on the PK it's intriguing to me.

Reactions: Giskard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad