Claimed off Waivers: [PIT] Mark Friedman claimed off waivers by the Penguins from the Flyers

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That's a little odd of a claim. The Penguins already have Letang, Marino, Ceci and Ruhwedel as RD, so Friedman slots in as the #5 RD. They also have 5 LD who have shown they're NHL caliber (Dumoulin, Pettersson, Matheson, POJ and Riikola), so they already have a logjam on defense.

I don't really know much about Friedman at all, and he doesn't have a lot of NHL experience, but I honestly don't see a roster spot available for him without another trade. I'm a little confused here.

It's not unusual to see GMs go with players that they're familiar with. It's not inconceivable that Hextall views Friedman over Ceci/Ruhwedel or at least will give him a chance.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's not unusual to see GMs go with players that they're familiar with. It's not inconceivable that Hextall views Friedman over Ceci/Ruhwedel or at least will give him a chance.

Oh yeah I agree entirely, it makes absolute sense for GMs to move out guys from the old GM to bring in guys they're more familiar with. They just have to move out the old guy's players at some point because there's a roster limit.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
5281697.jpg

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
I was explicitly told on here that Hextall’s first move would be to trade Malkin, Letang, or Crosby and not something minor

So that aged well

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
This actually was predicted on the Flyers board. :laugh:

Views will vary but I side with the faction that thinks Friedman can be a cheap, viable NHL defenseman, though probably never in the top-4. He was essentially given no chance to stick despite outplaying some of the D still on the Flyers' roster -- that Fletcher chose to keep Prosser, to say nothing of Hägg or Braun, tells the tale.

Have to imagine Hextall moves someone out. Who's the lowest on the totem pole?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad