Claimed off Waivers: [PIT] Mark Friedman claimed off waivers by the Penguins from the Flyers

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Fine with the pickup, but still confused where he is going to play. Letang, Marino, Ceci have been good, Ruhwedel was good and I feel bad for him he's not in the lineup. Now we have Friedman

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Fine with the pickup, but still confused where he is going to play. Letang, Marino, Ceci have been good, Ruhwedel was good and I feel bad for him he's not in the lineup. Now we have Friedman
Yeah agreed its gettikg crowded with dumo coming back. You would have to think the next move is moving a D out either for a veteran G or forward help

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The issue is that their defense is healthy outside of Dumoulin right now, and there are only so many roster spots available. If Friedman was getting waived by Philly due to a numbers game issue, I don't think it's really any different in Pittsburgh.

They could run with 12 forwards and 9 D, but that is a highly unusual thing to do. Now if Hextall is serious about wanting to recuperate assets, where he'd move a guy like Ceci or Ruhwedel for a pick and then put Friedman in his spot, this makes total sense.

I don't see Ceci going anywhere this season. Ceci has played well with the Pens and I was surprised how good of a skater he is. Much better than I expected. I think Ruhwedel will be sent to the taxi squad because I don't see him being claimed. Obviously Hextall knows Friedman well so I trust his evaluation of his abilities and believe he will be a better option as our 4th RD over Ruhwedel.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yes casue the new management isn't looking to make some kind of splash and improve the team .....duh...:nod:

Not on RD side. I think Hextall believes he is an upgrade over Ruhwedel and will be first up if a RD goes down. Don't see any of Letang, Marino, or Ceci getting traded this year unless we fall out of contention.

This is also helps for next season with Ceci likely gone with playing himself out of Pens price range. Next year Friedman can get a real shot as Pens 3RD. This year he will need an RD to go down to get in the lineup.

Reactions: Giskard

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
It's not unusual to see GMs go with players that they're familiar with. It's not inconceivable that Hextall views Friedman over Ceci/Ruhwedel or at least will give him a chance.

Over Ruhwedel yes but Ceci had been playing really well. I don't see him playing over Ceci now.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
This actually was predicted on the Flyers board. :laugh:

Views will vary but I side with the faction that thinks Friedman can be a cheap, viable NHL defenseman, though probably never in the top-4. He was essentially given no chance to stick despite outplaying some of the D still on the Flyers' roster -- that Fletcher chose to keep Prosser, to say nothing of Hägg or Braun, tells the tale.

Have to imagine Hextall moves someone out. Who's the lowest on the totem pole?

On the right side Ruhwedel. I think he will move to the taxi squad and Friedman gets the 4RD spot now and first man up of an RD goes down.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah agreed its gettikg crowded with dumo coming back. You would have to think the next move is moving a D out either for a veteran G or forward help

Love that we literally are 10 deep of NHL defensman now. We had 5 LD's with Dumoulin, Matheson, Pettersson, POJ, and Riikola. Now we have Letang, Marino, Ceci, Friedman, and Ruhwedel. Anyone that knows the Pens we will use everyone of them. Pens already used a dozen defensman this season due to injuries.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Love that we literally are 10 deep of NHL defensman now. We had 5 LD's with Dumoulin, Matheson, Pettersson, POJ, and Riikola. Now we have Letang, Marino, Ceci, Friedman, and Ruhwedel. Anyone that knows the Pens we will use everyone of them. Pens already used a dozen defensman this season due to injuries.
Injuires yes... but at this time this is their deepest position and in all likelihood its D along with McCann who will be shopped for help IF needed. Again alot depends on the next 5 to 10 games. To assume that the new management won't make a decent splash is foolish

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It might be time for Hextall to find us a LW instead of wasting time picking up what will be our #10 d-man.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Maybe adding a free asset on D....allows him to trade another D for forward help.

Maybe.
Exactly what I predicted above. One of these D going for forwed help ( maybe packaged with McCann). Next 2 to 3 weeks something will give . I see rikola, pettersen, and to a lesser extent dumo as the likely candidates.

Reactions: Tripod

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
When's the last time the Penguins claimed someone off of waivers from Philly? The only one that comes to mind is Steve Webb, but is that really the most recent? That's almost 20 years.

Holy shit, a Zen sighting! I don't know, but it's kind of strange also to see a Pens team be active on the waiver wire for anything other than undersized 4th liners that will play with Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->