Confirmed Trade: [PIT/FLA] Colton Sceviour and Mike Matheson for Patric Hornqvist

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Mother f***er. Would have loved to have gotten Hornqvist in Buffalo and seems like next to nothing to pay.

Reactions: Morrison
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Kapanen isn’t much of an upgrade on Hornqvist. You swap them so you get a little help on the blue line, but Matheson is one big question mark. And you somehow lose a 1st and your best prospect in the process. Not the greatest management from Jim R.

However I think Matheson could bounce back, but is he ever gonna be worth his salary? Probably not

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You're right. I jumped the gun on the numbers, but Matheson has a favorable buyout.
Rutherford has stubbornly refused to buy out Jack Johnson, and you think he's preparing to buy out a player with six years remaining on his deal? That's not happening. He added Matheson to play him.

Moving an aging RW after adding Zucker and now Kapanen at the position in the last year makes sense, but Matheson is a dog signed to 2026, and the AAV savings are marginal ($750K).

I wonder if there is more in this deal, because as a one-for-one transaction, it's not the best.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hornqvist is a better player currently and has the better contract. I guess Rutherford sees upside in Matheson still?
Rutherford has lost his marbles this offseason.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Are you kidding me!! No way its the whole deal. Panthers fans would given a 1st to get rid of him. He's that bad

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Neither of these players were particularly valuable.

1. Honqvist was old, expensive, and signed for three years. Pittsburgh just gave up a 1st for a forward. Someone was going elsewhere. Matheson, despite his struggles is still young and could bounce back. It was a buy low option. If Pittsburgh had more assets to trade for a better option they would have. Could blow up in their face but they needed a quality defender for Sids last few years and can't really rebuild. They still needed to get young though, which their trades have accomplished.

2. Florida needed to get rid of one of their overpriced defensemen. They've been ordered to cut budget apparently. They've been shopping Matheson with no takers for a while now. You can't say they didn't try and find a better deal out there. Hornqvist was almost certainly the best they could find. Got rid of a lot of risk with that Matheson contract, it could have been an albatross if he continues to lag in expectations. Since Hoffman and Dadonov are probably gone in order to save money, Hornqvist has an easy spot in the top-6 to get plenty of offensive minutes to juice his numbers. They'll trade him at a deadline in a few years and get a good asset probably.

I have no problem with this trade for either team. Kinda of a "garbage for garbage" trade, but not garbage, just trading one player with a list of potential issues for another one.

Reactions: shello and qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad