Confirmed Trade: [PIT/FLA] Colton Sceviour and Mike Matheson for Patric Hornqvist

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I remember a thread a while ago with someone asking what would be the value for Hornqvist. I said it would be a similar player with a little smaller cap hit.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Oh God, Rutherford is way too much of a gambler. Matheson could, I mean there's maybe a 20% chance he does (they did strike gold on Schultz who was a total liability in EDM), but given his contract he's the last team I would have expected to acquire him. They needed to shed salary and Hornqvist made sense but this is a bad deal IMO. Hornqvist was a respected vet who could fit anywhere in your line-up.

Reactions: Morrison

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Awful trade. Hornqvist isn’t the player he used to be, but this is still a loss. The Panthers are getting a guy who will skate through a brick wall if he has to, and then take a million cross checks afterwards. If the big dogs still don’t bring it after watching him play, then I don’t know what will. This is definitely a move that will change the culture on that team.

For the Pens, the only good that can come from this is that maybe Rutherford will abandon signing Tanev/trading Rust in a few weeks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is almost no way this deal is real. This deal makes absolutely no sense from a Penguins POV considering they have Dumoulin, Pettersson, Johnson, Riikola and POJ on LD, and I'm really skeptical that Hornqvist would waive his NTC to go to Florida.

The only way I can see this deal making sense is if it's something like Hornqvist and JJ for Matheson, but I really doubt Florida does that.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Rutherford just cleared $5m in cap space. What an awful trade by Florida.
How do you figure that? Cap Friendly shows Hornqvist at 5.3 mil for three more years where Matheson is at 4.875 million for six more years. Short term difference is that Pens shed 500 K from their cap but long term they have Matheson for 3 more years after Honqvist's current contract expires.

Reactions: Morrison

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Hornqvist has 3 years left at $5.3 million. Matheson has six years left at $4.875 million. Pens get a lot younger, but get a sieve defensively. Does this mean they give up on Tanev?

Reactions: qqaz

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Zito for GM of the year.
What a great first move, frees up the salary cut rumor with one deal.

FLA saves around $15 mil in actual salary/real dollars.
FLA fans were told we would need to add 1sts to move Matheson.

Woo-hoo! Hoping Zito can move Yandle and bring in a legit top 4 LD who can actually play defense.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
There is almost no way this deal is real. This deal makes absolutely no sense from a Penguins POV considering they have Dumoulin, Pettersson, Johnson, Riikola and POJ on LD, and I'm really skeptical that Hornqvist would waive his NTC to go to Florida.

The only way I can see this deal making sense is if it's something like Hornqvist and JJ for Matheson, but I really doubt Florida does that.

Rangers will gladly take Dumoulin

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Look at his buyout.

I wouldn't call 2.7-1.4M cap hit per year for 12 years a cap clearing move.

Doubt they buy him out. This is JR trying to find another Schultz who could get his career back on track in Pit, defenseman who has showed a lot of promise in the past but was struggling with his former team. Different players but yeah.

If anybody is getting bought out it's Jack Johnson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad