Friedman: [PIT] F Johan Larsson to sign with the Penguins

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I wonder if there is some injury issues with him that are not disclosed. He surely would have find a spot by now at that price.

Or perhaps there is an agreement in place already but the Penguins just need to trade Krapanen or someone else first.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd welcome him back in Buffalo, for sure. Let the LOG line reign supreme again.
huusjazvfoc21.jpg

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
No not back in Buffalo 🦬 he is bad sabres have better players for the 4 th line then him
Not that I think there is a chance he comes back
But this is false. He was excellent on D per the charts folks but not great on offense. Just depends on what a team wants or needs - but elite D on 4th line can be coveted

BuffaloSabresSword

May 11, 2011
Not that I think there is a chance he comes back
But this is false. He was excellent on D per the charts folks but not great on offense. Just depends on what a team wants or needs - but elite D on 4th line can be coveted
He cant score or make points . no need for a log line again when we have better players that can score also on the 4 th line . Larsson Will most play a couple of season more maybe wont have a NHL contract this season . He should be happy he had like 10 years in NHL . Thats good for his ability to been able to play over there

He cant score or make points . no need for a log line again when we have better players that can score also on the 4 th line . Larsson Will most play a couple of season more maybe wont have a NHL contract this season . He should be happy he had like 10 years in NHL . Thats good for his ability to been able to play over there
Girgensons is better also

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
My belief is if they were going to trade Zucker to clear space, they would have done so by July 13th and then gone after another F (like Burakovsky) in free agency.

Exactly. If Hextall waited until NOW to pay a bribe to be rid of Zucker, when virtually every UFA that makes sense is off the board, that would’ve been monumentally dumb. For example, he could’ve that a week ago and maybe landed Neiderreiter, which would’ve been worth giving up the futures on the deal he got.

If Hex does and then just uses the space to bring back ERod and sign Larsson, well that would land with all the grace of a wet fart.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Brian Burke and Johan Larsson were gonna fight in the PPG Paints Arena parking lot but Gary Bettman found out about it and told Ron Hextall to break it up therefore nullifying any chance of signing Johan Larsson.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Girgensons is better also
You need players you can send out to defend other teams scorers too, bud. Buffalo doesn’t have an actual center who can do it…and no one they can move to center who can do it as well as Larsson. It isn’t fantasy hockey or video game hockey. Players like this have a role in the league. An important one.

I get the feeling you are the kind of fan who watches a game where shots are 18-1 for Buffalo when Asplund is on the ice and say we have to get rid of Asplund because he doesn’t score.

BuffaloSabresSword

May 11, 2011
You need players you can send out to defend other teams scorers too, bud. Buffalo doesn’t have an actual center who can do it…and no one they can move to center who can do it as well as Larsson. It isn’t fantasy hockey or video game hockey. Players like this have a role in the league. An important one.

I get the feeling you are the kind of fan who watches a game where shots are 18-1 for Buffalo when Asplund is on the ice and say we have to get rid of Asplund because he doesn’t score.
Asplund is much better then johan . Asplund with Okposo and girgs is much better

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Asplund is much better then johan . Asplund with Okposo and girgs is much better
Wait a minute I’m not a Sabres fan but wasn’t Asplund with Cozens and Okposo on the 3rd line.

Girgensons was centering a rotation of crap wingers all season but should have Bjork LW and Hinostroza RW as a 4th line with Buffalo to start the 22-23 season.

Buffalo doesn’t have room for Larsson anymore especially with the prospects fighting for roster spots this season in Buffaloland.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
If you want a shutdown 4c who knows his role...you found it. I'm not big on posting charts etc but his defensive metrics in several years have been great. he can win a faceoff. He has a bit of jam to his game. he will chip in enough points to justify his roster spot. If you poll 100 sabres fans id bet youd find 85 that wanted him back. He's the perfect character/glue guy teams win with.
He's also a puck possession monster.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Wait a minute I’m not a Sabres fan but wasn’t Asplund with Cozens and Okposo on the 3rd line.

Girgensons was centering a rotation of crap wingers all season but should have Bjork LW and Hinostroza RW as a 4th line with Buffalo to start the 22-23 season.

Buffalo doesn’t have room for Larsson anymore especially with the prospects fighting for roster spots this season in Buffaloland.
Asplund literally played on every line last season. But he did look pretty good with Mittelstadt and Olofsson.

Bjork will likely be in the press box until injuries open up a slot.

As for room, it will really depend on what the plan is for Quinn, Peterka, and Krebs. If 2 of the 3 are on the team and not in Rochester, then there would be no room without someone that should be playing, sitting in the pressbox.

If 2 of the 3 start in Rochester, then there would be a spot for Larsson, and he would fill a pretty big hole - until he is injured ;)

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

without getting into the details of line combos…thus is what iypt looks like next year

Skinner-Thompson-Olofsson
xxx-Mittkestadt-Tuch
Asplund-Cozens-xxx
Girgrnsons-xxx-okposo
bjork, Hinostroza
xxx= Peterka, Quinn, Krebs (all waiver exempt)
Girgrnsons and Asplund can play center

my relief…

GM said thry went Krebs to get better st center. He played mainly wing last year. He probably starts in AHL at center.

with Ruoatsalainennwho had to clear waiver this season went to Switzerland, Buffalo is in the market fir a forward ( possibly a center)

they have a lot of cap space so theyare likeky in the market to take on some high salary up to 2 yrs left. In a trade it probably means Bjork cis sent back in the deal. They don’t want to feel they need to fir e Peterka or Quinn to AHL just because they are waiver exempt.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
without getting into the details of line combos…thus is what iypt looks like next year

xxx-Mittkestadt-Tuch
Asplund-Cozens-xxx
Girgrnsons-xxx-okposo
bjork, Hinostroza

my relief…

GM said thry went Krebs to get better st center. He played mainly wing last year. He probably starts in AHL at center.

with Ruoatsalainennwho had to clear waiver this season went to Switzerland, Buffalo is in the market fir a forward ( possibly a center)

they have a lot of cap space so theyare likeky in the market to take on some high salary up to 2 yrs left. In a trade it probably means Bjork cis sent back in the deal. They don’t want to feel they need to fir e Peterka or Quinn to AHL just because they are waiver exempt.
Really good analysis
I can see this happening
Player may get sent to rochester

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

xxx-Mittkestadt-Tuch
Asplund-Cozens-xxx
Girgrnsons-xxx-okposo
bjork, Hinostroza

my relief…

Yeah, the Sabres absolutely have room for a bottom 6 center. Worst case scenario, we have to waive Bjork, and he goes down the league he belongs in.

BuffaloSabresSword

May 11, 2011

No room for Larsson

BuffaloSabresSword

May 11, 2011

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Olofsson Cozens Quinn
Asplund Krebs Peterka
Girgensons/Hinostroza Mittlestadt Okposo
Then the extra WO no room for him here .
Add to this next season sabres have prospect Coming into the league as Savoie Ostlund Kulich then we have rosen also next year first . Thats 5 players all forward that will need place in the line above . Dont know why some people want johan Larsson he is not good and we have others that are better

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My belief is if they were going to trade Zucker to clear space, they would have done so by July 13th and then gone after another F (like Burakovsky) in free agency.
Makes sense, but maybe the fact that a couple of the free agents are still out there makes a few GMs rethink their cap and roster spots? I think there's a few guys still available that GMs might try to fit in that might require some RFA signing numbers or trades to materialize first.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Makes sense, but maybe the fact that a couple of the free agents are still out there makes a few GMs rethink their cap and roster spots? I think there's a few guys still available that GMs might try to fit in that might require some RFA signing numbers or trades to materialize first.

I don't think so. Zucker is a good, though overpaid, player when healthy. If they could have effectively traded Zucker++ for Copp or Burakovsky, then I think they would have done that.

But no remaining UFAs move the needle or Pittsburgh, short of signing Kadri as the 3C or 2C and move Malkin to the wing.

Reactions: Kaibur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad