Friedman: [PIT] F Johan Larsson to sign with the Penguins

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
And what is it, precisely, that he does?
If you want a shutdown 4c who knows his role...you found it. I'm not big on posting charts etc but his defensive metrics in several years have been great. he can win a faceoff. He has a bit of jam to his game. he will chip in enough points to justify his roster spot. If you poll 100 sabres fans id bet youd find 85 that wanted him back. He's the perfect character/glue guy teams win with.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you want a shutdown 4c who knows his role...you found it. I'm not big on posting charts etc but his defensive metrics in several years have been great. he can win a faceoff. He has a bit of jam to his game. he will chip in enough points to justify his roster spot. If you poll 100 sabres fans id bet youd find 85 that wanted him back. He's the perfect character/glue guy teams win with.

We've already got 4 centers under contract. Can he play the wing? Otherwise this seems like a waste of cap space.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Never hurts to have depth if you're the Pens, but I'm a bit confused why Larsson chose the Pens considering they already have 4 centers.

Feels like he deserves the opportunity to be the leading defensive center on a contender and gain some more recognition. He's kind of been flying under the radar playing for Buffalo and then getting hurt when he was traded to the Caps.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Never hurts to have depth if you're the Pens, but I'm a bit confused why Larsson chose the Pens considering they already have 4 centers.

Feels like he deserves the opportunity to be the leading defensive center on a contender and gain some more recognition. He's kind of been flying under the radar playing for Buffalo and then getting hurt when he was traded to the Caps.
There isn't really a good reason to pay our 4C $2.2million, but that's what we're doing right now.
This and the Rutta signing both suggest there is a trade or two coming.

Reactions: jmelm

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
There isn't really a good reason to pay our 4C $2.2million, but that's what we're doing right now.
This and the Rutta signing both suggest there is a trade or two coming.
Either Blueger is gone or Carter is done at C.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We've already got 4 centers under contract. Can he play the wing? Otherwise this seems like a waste of cap space.
He played 4LW in Washington. He was underwhelming. I was hoping to see some offense and maybe have him replace Eller but there’s just no offense there whatsoever. He’s defensively and positionally sound and he won’t make many mistakes but if you’re looking for him to chip in on offense you’ll be disappointed.

He was 1+5 in 14 regular season games for the Caps and had 2 assists in the playoffs for them. Looking up those stats I honestly can’t believe he had that many points because I can’t remember a single goal he contributed to. He also played with Dowd and Hathaway who made everyone who played on that line look great. They’re two of the best 4th liners in the league for my money.

Reactions: BHD and Drakon

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think the most important thing about this signing for the Penguins, is that he is a player, who exists. Though it is often difficult to demonstrate on the ice.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He played 4LW in Washington.

Well....see......that's the problem.

Larsson is an absolutely poor winger.............but he's a legit lockdown center. None of us in Sabreland could ever figure out why he would just disappear when put on the wing but flourish when at center. We all figured that his dinky-ness, grit and defensive capabilities would transfer over easy. Nope. Not the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad