Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Jesse Puljujarvi signs with the Penguins (2 years, $800k AAV)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Carolina got a player with hip issues that just got the surgery done that most players have their careers ended by, but yeah tell me more.
Ah, the good ol busted hip that he's had since his rookie year. I'm sure after 8 years as a pro he'll start lighting up the league now that he got his hips fixed.......

Reading this thread is just a retread of all the old excuses Oiler fans made to justify why JP wasn't getting top six ice time and was playing poorly.

Reactions: CaptainCaveman

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ah, the good ol busted hip that he's had since his rookie year. I'm sure after 8 years as a pro he'll start lighting up the league now that he got his hips fixed.......

Reading this thread is just a retread of all the old excuses Oiler fans made to justify why JP wasn't getting top six ice time and was playing poorly.
Right so he just faked the injury and surgery. Gotta admire the commitment then huh?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Right so he just faked the injury and surgery. Gotta admire the commitment then huh?
Never said he was faking an injury but after 8 years in the league this is the player that he is. I'm a huge JP supporter and want him to do well in the NHL but he's not going to live up to the hype of his draft position.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Never said he was faking an injury but after 8 years in the league this is the player that he is. I'm a huge JP supporter and want him to do well in the NHL but he's not going to live up to the hype of his draft position.
No one is saying he's going to live up to the hype of his draft placement. I think everyone is being realistic with what he may be able to bring at best. Maybe some offense in the top 9 or nothing at worst.

But he can make a go of it in the NHL as a different type of player. To be angry about a player or not hope they do well is weird to me, I don't subscribe to that behavior mate.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1709172933838.png

Thought I'd peak in to see how JP is doing...

Reactions: DickSmehlik

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
He's clearly still not 100% from that surgery, which is to be expected. There's a reason that he signed for 2 years instead of 1 year. Next year will be the hope that he can be a legitimate bottom-6 contributor in AHL.
Fixed that for you ;)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fixed that for you ;)

Puljujarvi had 9 points in 13 games in the AHL this year. He's very clearly top-6 AHL caliber at least. Dumb edit on your end.

Whether he ends up a useful NHLer depends on how much he can bounce back from his surgery, and that's not going to be immediate. But at worst, he'll just sit on their AHL team next year. He'll replace Nylander's role for what he was with the AHL Penguins.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I’d still take pool party at 800k over another empty jersey in Acciari at 2 mill. Too bad we have both plus Harkins and the ghost of Jeff Carter. What a god awful bottom 6.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It would be interesting to hear an update from people that have been watching him play vs looking at stats.
He’s as advertised. An offensive black hole but a great forechecker, solidly physical, and decent defensively.

If his name was Mitch Patterson and he was from South Boston, Mike Sullivan would be playing him 16 mins a night. Alas, he’s European so Sully benches him every time he sneezes too loud.

Reactions: Chet Manley

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
It would be interesting to hear an update from people that have been watching him play vs looking at stats.
The entirety of the Pens bottom-six is anemic offensively, so Puljujarvi being held scoreless in his eight games or whatever is no indictment on him. He is objectively better than Harkins and Carter, and probably better than Acciari.

He is a welcome big frame who's effective along the wall and can lay the body.

All things considered, he's an 11th-13th forward in the NHL. But I sure do wish he'd have a spot over Harkins.

Reactions: Chet Manley

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Is he still the drizzling shits?

Feel bad for him. Like a Finnish Yakupov.
He's not particularly bad or anything, just not the answer. I will say, I'm starting to get tired of Dubas hoping to strike gold via dumpster diving. I do expect him to make some moves at the TDL, the problem is the Pens are the most they've been in limbo since the mid 2000's, and that's on the Doobler.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As much as blokes want to hate on Jesse, he hasn't looked bad. On a bad team and usage, he's looked fine. Like I said a while back, it's a shame he's chosen the Penguins for this come back because Mike Sullivan is the worst possible coach to be in that situation with.
He's not particularly bad or anything, just not the answer. I will say, I'm starting to get tired of Dubas hoping to strike gold via dumpster diving. I do expect him to make some moves at the TDL, the problem is the Pens are the most they've been in limbo since the mid 2000's, and that's on the Doobler.
Sullivan likes dumpster types because they remind him of himself and he wants to give these losers like Harkins, the chance he feels they deserve for being good soldiers.

I don't think Jesse has been bad, Bemstrom hasn't either. There's been a running theme under Sullivan for players to just not thrive under him when regardless of being productive players or not. Some have had decent starts but then would fizzle out and he would have no idea how to get them back to being productive because he does not believe in playing to players strengths, he uses them for what he needs them to be. So if you're a skilled top 6 winger, you're now a grinder. If you're a grinder, you're now getting top 6 ice time because "reasons."

Reactions: Zbynek

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yakupov wasn't really good at anything. Pulujarvi just isn't good at scoring. He's fine in other areas.
That's actually pretty fair for Puljujarvi right now. He's on a line with Bemstrom and Eller and overall, the line has actually looked really good. Several long offensive zone pressure shift and he's mixed it up just fine. But yeah, zero high danger scoring chances from him.

He's destined to be a bottom 6 - 4th liner on an average day, 3rd liner on his best day - player for the rest of his (what I think will be) short career. Like I don't see anyone signing him after next year. AHL likely or he goes home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad