PTO: [PIT] F Jesse Puljujarvi signs PTO with the Penguins

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Stubborn player who won't adjust his game, coaches have been trying to get him to play more like a grinder and that is where the core of his skill set lies, forechecking, bulling people over with his size & speed, and banging in loose pucks from in tight.

Pulju wants to play like Laine, but his shot consistency isn't there to pull it off and his offensive awareness isn't high enough to find the quiet areas consistently.

Agree with all of the above with one exception. I'm not sure if he was being stubborn, or if (despite being huge) he's just not cut out for the role... he seemed... frightened of contact or pain. Maybe it was his hips, or maybe he's just not used to playing against guys as big as him, or maybe a lack of man-strength, but despite occasionally destroying guys with reverse hits... he seemed genuinely offended when he'd get hit or when he'd hit and people took exception.

I'll also add one positive... when he was on, he was an absolute monster defensively in the neutral zone... his defensive skills between the blue lines were awesome, breaking up so many plays and going the other way. It was really quite impressive.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Agree with all of the above with one exception. I'm not sure if he was being stubborn, or if (despite being huge) he's just not cut out for the role... he seemed... frightened of contact or pain. Maybe it was his hips, or maybe he's just not used to playing against guys as big as him, or maybe a lack of man-strength, but despite occasionally destroying guys with reverse hits... he seemed genuinely offended when he'd get hit or when he'd hit and people took exception.

I'll also add one positive... when he was on, he was an absolute monster defensively in the neutral zone... his defensive skills between the blue lines were awesome, breaking up so many plays and going the other way. It was really quite impressive.
Then he'd get into the offensive zone and lose the puck due to some brain fart play. He just doesn't process the play effectively or fast enough in the NHL. Nice kid, but stubborn. Too many NHL coaches tried to get him to play to his strengths at that level, but he just wouldn't listen. Hell, he wouldn't even take his English lessons seriously so still struggled after 5 seasons.

Reactions: 9911 and wetcoast

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1706389956090.png

I'll always cheer for JP but man is it going rough for him! The AHL stats seem encouraging but here is Gagner's after coming off hip surgery himself

1706390037600.png

He's a 4th liner who is potentially a healthy scratch now with Perry joining the team.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
View attachment 811678

I'll always cheer for JP but man is it going rough for him! The AHL stats seem encouraging but here is Gagner's after coming off hip surgery himself

View attachment 811679

He's a 4th liner who is potentially a healthy scratch now with Perry joining the team.
JPs stats are fine for a guy trying to work his way back to being a regular NHLer. The more important aspect of his game that he needs to focus on is what he's doing away from pucks. If he's playing for Pittsburgh, he's probably playing on a depth line without a ton of support.

Jesse's doing what is necessary to salvage his career at this point. He swallowed his pride, took an AHL deal from a team willing to give him a shot. And I could see him ending up with a contract by the deadline and a possible extension if he keeps it up.

If only someone suggested Pittsburgh as a possible destination earlier this year...

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
pens have a 9 day break now.
Wouldnbt surprise me if he gets a few more AHL games and then gets signed before Pittsburghs next game

Reactions: Darren McCord

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
It's great that he always has a smile on his face even when going thru tough times -- I suspect he'll be smiling even more after his dominance in the AHL / possibility of coming back to the NHL.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
View attachment 811678

View attachment 811679

Ok talk about just pulling from a small sample size. So one player took longer to come back then another.

JP in his last 7gp - 4g 4a 8pts +9

He has been playing really well. It was always going to be a journey back but he has been progressing well.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I've got zero doubt that Jesse is an NHL player, the only question is to what degree? I see him as 2nd/3rd line winger, I see his high end as a (30/30 player), can play in every situation. I see his low end as a (15/15 player), kills penalties, energy player. He's so big, and has all the physical tools. I'm cheering for the guy, I was sad to see that it didn't work out in Edmonton, I do feel that he will have a solid NHL career when it's all said and done.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I've got zero doubt that Jesse is an NHL player, the only question is to what degree? I see him as 2nd/3rd line winger, I see his high end as a (30/30 player), can play in every situation. I see his low end as a (15/15 player), kills penalties, energy player. He's so big, and has all the physical tools. I'm cheering for the guy, I was sad to see that it didn't work out in Edmonton, I do feel that he will have a solid NHL career when it's all said and done.
He's developed some chemistry with Sam Poulin, one of the only prospects the Pens have, during this stint in the AHL.

There are some of us who are hoping that after the Pens' bye week and the all-star break here that they'll call up Poulin and sign Puljujarvi to an NHL contract with the goal of playing them both on either side of Lars Eller on the third line. It'd be a responsible line that would play pretty physical and be around the net quite a bit in the offensive zone.

The more optimistic fans are hoping that Puljujarvi could find a fit with Malkin, too. It's been a struggle with both Rakell and Reilly Smith way off their games this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad