PTO: [PIT] F Jesse Puljujarvi signs PTO with the Penguins

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This statistical profiles maps perfectly on to a player with degenerating hips. You can see the break in between, the last time he needed double hip surgery. Maybe he'll give them two good years before falling apart again.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm in agreement if everything you basically said about Boqvist.

I was surprised NJ didn't keep him. Liked his play and he finally became a serviceable utility guy (probably more middle 6 type really)

Anyway we will see if Puljujarvi even makes the team.

I think the deal with Boqvist, is that he's not really the sort of player you ideally want in the Bottom-6. He's not big or physical, doesn't really get a lot accomplished in a shift if he's not in at least a quasi scoring role. I think you kind of hit the nail on the head, saying he's more of a "middle-6 utility guy". So the Devils and other teams just sorta...moved on from him, trying to go in a different direction with the roster spot. But for a team like the Penguins that really just needs to get...something serviceable out of that depth role...it certainly looks like a cheap flyer they probably should've taken back when he was available for free on waivers. :dunno:

I think the thing with Puljujarvi is...he's bigly tall. So GMs are more willing to give him a look in a bottom-6 role because on paper, he fits better with that. He's actually pretty useless in that role, but people see a big, tall, forechecker there.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Hope he does well as an Oilers fan. Wanted him gone. He looked so lost. He also needs to shorten his stick. He didn't listen to people who told him he should

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Looking at the pens line up they icedost all today hes gotta be a better option than all that fodder.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
What happened to his development? So odd as I thought he would blossom with the talent surrounding him in Edmonton.
Stubborn player who won't adjust his game, coaches have been trying to get him to play more like a grinder and that is where the core of his skill set lies, forechecking, bulling people over with his size & speed, and banging in loose pucks from in tight.

Pulju wants to play like Laine, but his shot consistency isn't there to pull it off and his offensive awareness isn't high enough to find the quiet areas consistently.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Still remember when he had a great pre season and Oilers fans tried to convince us he's the real deal. Good times.

Dude had a great half season in the NHL actually. Regular season. Then an injury hit. He returned and was never the same. But still could handle being an effective bottom 6 grinder type.

Reactions: majormajor

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Is that the correct pronunciation?
Here's a native:

This statistical profiles maps perfectly on to a player with degenerating hips. You can see the break in between, the last time he needed double hip surgery. Maybe he'll give them two good years before falling apart again.

As far as I know, they were not "full" surgeries. More like patches in hopes a real surgery isn't needed. But this newest one is the actual surgery - on both hips - meaning this should be a more permanent solution than the previous.

Reactions: majormajor

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Pretty close. Best one I have heard from a North American.
It's close but it's also the audio equivalent of "uncanny valley" where it's so close but so wrong at the same time. :D It's like there's the original name as a base and then a tint of some Southern European pronunciation. I would lose my mind listening to that all game long.

Hope he finds his game and is able to play. Pulju is a cool character, in good and bad, and we could use more of his smiles in the game.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Health as to his hip is question number 1. If he is healthy, he is worth a shot. He does have skill. But I do think he is just never going to be the player projected to be. So maybe he finds his health and physical condition improved enough to be a third line RW in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad