PTO: [PIT] F Jesse Puljujarvi signs PTO with the Penguins

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
There is definitely a room for Pulju in our team if he comes close to his pre-injury level (he played injured last year). I like this try-out it's better than having Nylander out there. Of course it's not gonna fix important things (incompetent coaching) but it can be a small improvement and we need those as well

Reactions: majormajor

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Good for him. Not everyone gets a chance to fail to produce with both Crosby and McDavid(arguably the two best players over the last decade).

Maybe it’ll work out in a depth role in all seriousness. He’s still relatively young and if he’s properly recovered from his surgery has all the raw tools.

Reactions: behemolari

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Looking forward to him contributing absolutely nothing for him.

He’s just a bad hockey (NHL) player
The type of injury he has had and the resurfacing of his joints usually does not work out, nice that they gave him a chance but EU professional career is a good goal.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Jesse was briefly a very good checking forward for Edmonton a couple years ago, before his hips fell apart again. There was even a very large group of Oilers posters who wanted to give him a massive extension! Of course no one will own up to it now.

That said, this is his second double hip surgery so expectations should be very low.

People have forgotten this. He passed the eye test and his underlying numbers were very good when he came back from Finland. He was very good at times, a good complimentary winger able to play in top 6 role. His hips just went again and when he wasn't able to use his speed anymore, he was pretty much useless.

If he's healthy again, there's definitely some upside.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I said he is too dumb to stick.. But part of me thinks it his agent talking in his ear. Make me eat some crow Jesse! My favourite bad player..

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Wow the pens must be really desperate

Unless he got brain surgery as well I don’t see him lasting long

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's comments like these that make me wonder if people have any idea what the actual issue with Puljujarvi was.

He was a +22 just two years ago, with the lowest goals against per minute of any Oiler.

The only time he's ever generated any results is playing with McDavid/Draisaitl.

Separated from those guys and asked to play normal 3rd line minutes with normal 3rd line players, he's been sub-replacement level for his entire career.

Reactions: sepHF

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I wish him well. People forget that there was a good stretch not that long ago where he was actually playing good hockey. He's never going to live up to where he was drafted, but it looked like things had started to come together for him in the first half of the 21-22 season, and then he got hurt.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The only time he's ever generated any results is playing with McDavid/Draisaitl.

Separated from those guys and asked to play normal 3rd line minutes with normal 3rd line players, he's been sub-replacement level for his entire career.

1. I've heard this myth repeated so many times but somehow Jesse didn't have a negative GF% with anyone on the Oilers in 2021-22. In other words, he wasn't outscored with any player on the team, despite sharing the ice with more than 30 players. That's incredible, not sub-replacement!

2. More than half of those Oilers were outscored without Puljujarvi by their side, including McDavid.

Retract your bad argument.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
XpscaFU.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad