Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Danton Heinen signs with the Penguins (1 year, $1.1M)

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Anaheim's certainly didn't

They liked him at first! I watched his first few games in Anaheim and he was at the top of the lineup and making things happen. But the pucks didn't go in and I guess he fell apart along with the rest of the team.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Heinen is a decent player to have, mainly because he can jump into various roles in short stints.

For example i could see him having success with Geno for a couple weeks if some guys are injured, and the Pens usually have their fair share.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Heinen is a decent player to have, mainly because he can jump into various roles in short stints.

For example i could see him having success with Geno for a couple weeks if some guys are injured, and the Pens usually have their fair share.

YES that is a real underrated part of his game. He is smart and can be thrown on any line and not mess it up.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hextall seems to be collecting fourth line (at best) forwards.

Our goaltending is our biggest issue, and so far it hasn’t improved. We also still haven’t made up for McCann’s production.

I really liked the McGinn signing.

But overall, our off season grade is a D+\C-

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

Our goaltending is our biggest issue, and so far it hasn’t improved. We also still haven’t made up for McCann’s production.

Not sure about your goaltending comment. Didn’t the Bruins have a college stud goalie shine for them last season? Maybe Lindberg can do that for the Pens next season.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not sure about your goaltending comment. Didn’t the Bruins have a college stud goalie shine for them last season? Maybe Lindberg can do that for the Pens next season.
He’s never played in an NHL game, nor even an AHL game. It seems pretty risky to rely on a 22 year old goalie.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
This guy sounds like the winger equivalent to Pettersson. Just what we need, more bland vanilla hockey.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He is a safe bland 3rd line winger. Very soft, solid on defense, occasionally makes a nice play in the O zone.

I thought the Pens wanted to move away from that sort of winger. We've already got too many "safe, bland, not physical" types on the wing.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Seems like a Dom Simon or potential Jared McCann type guy. Good defensively, intelligent, goes long stretches where his confidence isn't good enough to translate good play into finishing.

Some Pens fans seem mad about not swinging for big FA fish but I don't mind taking a bunch of flyers on Heinen, Simon, ERod types. They cost nothing, probably end up creating much more value than their cap hit, and are at worst decent lower lineup players. And if they aren't? They're paid ~1M so you can just bury them. That lack of commitment keeps the big splash option open too so you can still go that way via trade if you want to down the line. Whereas if we pony up for Saad and he ends up regressing from his 22% shooting and starts looking like Zucker out there we're stuck

Reactions: Giskard

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
He is just sort of there. He will score some goals, but not a lot, and primarily skates up and down the ice. He is a better defensive player than offensive player, and he doesn't look out of place in the NHL, but he just doesn't have any real strengths. You certainly don't want him on an energy line, since he does not have a strong physical game. For $1.1 million he is okay, but I think he is more likely to be a one year and move onward sort of player.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
He's a good defensive forward but the guy can be frustrating.
He should have had a better career than he’s had so far.

He should also, as a living creature, have a resting heart rate above 7bpm. Not sure he does.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
As a Bruins fan I always liked Heinen. Cerebral player with a good skill level. He had a promising start to his career then stalled out. I actually think he could pair well with Crosby in a pinch.

Reactions: BaBaBruins

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Agreed. There are so many holes to plug and hextall keeps trying to plug the same one over and over. They need an impact forward..they need goaltending and someone to clear the front of the net. This is shaping up to be a disaster season. You are right nobody to replace McCann 20 to 25 goal

Reactions: Pens x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad