Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Danton Heinen signs with the Penguins (1 year, $1.1M)

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Good get for fourth line center while Malkin is out. Pens can run Sid/Carter/Bluegar/Heinen

Edit: is he not a center? thought he was. capfriendly has him listed as LW/RW.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I feel like our bottom 6 is already fine. We need an upgrade for top 6 winger

At least it’s not a bad contract and not a terrible player

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Good player if you just want to watch someone skate around, doesn't do much else.

1.1M to see what he can do, good luck to him.

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
4bup.gif

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Idk why he is listed as a center anywhere. Didn't play a second of center here in his time in Boston.

He's a fine 3 zone player, not much of a finisher. Good PKer, plays mistake free hockey. Can play both wings. Not a PWF or grinder.

Idk what went wrong in Anaheim. Idk if he regressed a ton... or if he was sent into the dog house.

Charismatic vacuum though. Strikes me as the type of guy who's favorite drink is water.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Heinen was always a guy I acquired in EHM, he at least has an interesting profile so I'm curious to see how this goes. Kinda like a McCann-lite type of player, jack of all trades type that can be used in a variety of roles.

Something I find really interesting is that he was a great powerplay player for Boston, but didn't get any PK time with Boston, while he was a great PKer for Anaheim, while he didn't get any PP time with Anaheim. Kinda odd usage there.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
'Vanilla' is a term often used by scouts to describe a guy like Heinen. He's decent enough at everything to belong in the league as a #8-11 type forward on a roster, but doesn't have the stand out qualities to be a true top 6er nor a highly coveted role player. His best attribute is probably his IQ, but overall it's a collection of 4-7 grades out of 10, smart and skilled enough that you wish he played with a bit more oomph.

You can put him with one of the big two centers or in your bottom six and he likely won't move the needle much in either direction- unless playing with those stars happens to awaken something.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Heinen was always a guy I acquired in EHM, he at least has an interesting profile so I'm curious to see how this goes. Kinda like a McCann-lite type of player, jack of all trades type that can be used in a variety of roles.

Something I find really interesting is that he was a great powerplay player for Boston, but didn't get any PK time with Boston, while he was a great PKer for Anaheim, while he didn't get any PP time with Anaheim. Kinda odd usage there.

Oh I don't know if he was great on the PP. He got some minutes as the guy that stood in front of the net with the Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, Krug unit and put up some points, but was just there to get the puck to the people that were good.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh I don't know if he was great on the PP. He got some minutes as the guy that stood in front of the net with the Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, Krug unit and put up some points, but was just there to get the puck to the people that were good.

His analytics chart according to McCurdy suggest he drove play well. No idea if that's true, I just see he got a boatload of PP points one year with Boston.

From the sounds of this thread, it basically sounds like Heinen is a better version of Simon. Which I certainly don't have any complaints about.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Idk why he is listed as a center anywhere. Didn't play a second of center here in his time in Boston.

He's a fine 3 zone player, not much of a finisher. Good PKer, plays mistake free hockey. Can play both wings. Not a PWF or grinder.

Idk what went wrong in Anaheim. Idk if he regressed a ton or if he hooked up with a coach's daughter or something and got sent into the dog house.

Charismatic vacuum though. Strikes me as the type of guy who's favorite drink is water.

"What went wrong in Anaheim"

Buddy, where do you want me to start? It's not Heinen specific, but it is a w h o l e lot of things.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'm a big fan of this guy and this signing. It will make some GMs look stupid. Coaches love this guy because he's strong on the puck and doesn't turn it over. He's solid defensively.

He has some offensive potential as well but can never seem to maintain his confidence. Maybe it will all come together in Pittsburgh because he's not that far away from being a good 2nd line winger.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'm a big fan of this guy and this signing. It will make some GMs look stupid. Coaches love this guy because he's strong on the puck and doesn't turn it over. He's solid defensively.

He has some offensive potential as well but can never seem to maintain his confidence. Maybe it will all come together in Pittsburgh because he's not that far away from being a good 2nd line winger.

I hope you're right!

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Anaheim's certainly didn't

Reactions: duckpuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad