Confirmed with Link: Pirri Re-Signs, 2 years

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Don't know who this is, but...

Todd Little ‏@toddlittle827 ·45m
Brandon Pirri's AVV $775K for two seasons.

The fact that he wrote AVV instead of AAV makes me question it, lol.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Don't know who this is, but...

Todd Little ‏@toddlittle827 ·45m
Brandon Pirri's AVV $775K for two seasons.

The fact that he wrote AVV instead of AAV makes me question it, lol.
associate editor for litterboxcats.com
I can't recall if that site has broken news before, so I can't comment on how legit it is.

Obviously it could be a total guess based on what Olsen received.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
If it's under $1 Million that is a serious bargain.

I'm not against playing Pirri on the 4th line. He had good chemistry with Hayes, and a 4th line that contributes a bit offensively is always welcome. They're not designed to be a checking line, that's for the 3rd line. Thornton can provide toughness and Pirri would be playing in between a couple of tough dudes.

gauseka15

Apr 21, 2014
Isle of Man
What's with all the hate on flash. Anyways if tallon thought he didn't deserve top 6 minutes he would've gotten rid of him(if he plays with bolland on 3rd line, our 3rd line would be getting paid more than our top 2 lines combined lol), so he will probably be a top 6 wing unless he is atrocious(and he will probably rebound, maybe he had a death in a family or something, we can't just say he sucks now)
In fact, this panthers seasons depends more so on flash rebounding than anything else.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm really liking these two-year deals and Tallon got him for quite cheap as he did with Olsen earlier. It's the perfect amount of time for a year from now to see how Pirri blends into the lineup and if he's worth re-signing again. If he plays mostly in the Top 6 and stays healthy, I can see him impressing us quite a bit this season.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
sounds right. a minor leaguer rfa, it was gonna be 2yrs and 1mil tops, most likely under 1per, i don't know why people assumed it'd be higher. yes he played well in his short time but it wasn't gonna change anything, same will go with hayes. neither has really cracked the lineup. after these 2 years then you can make a case for a bigger contract.

but that sounds right and happy about it. next years a 1-way? well i guess upshall and kopecky both will be on the 4th with thornton and hayes will both be scratches because pirri won't be on the 4th, can't put him there. maybe run him with the kids huberdeau-bjugstad. looked pretty solid next to bjugstad last season. thats a beautiful 3rd line and potentially 2nd line as well if the kids can all play well together.

Fleischmann-Barkov-Jokinen
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri
Bergenheim-Bolland-Boyes
Kopecky-MacKenzie-Upshall

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
What's with all the hate on flash. Anyways if tallon thought he didn't deserve top 6 minutes he would've gotten rid of him(if he plays with bolland on 3rd line, our 3rd line would be getting paid more than our top 2 lines combined lol), so he will probably be a top 6 wing unless he is atrocious(and he will probably rebound, maybe he had a death in a family or something, we can't just say he sucks now)
In fact, this panthers seasons depends more so on flash rebounding than anything else.

I've been preaching this since the off-season started. Flash is a hard worker. Complain all you want about his play last season but it wasn't due to a lack of effort. The guy still came out and played hard, regardless of Dineen or Horachek putting him on the first line or the fourth line. He had his TOI cut almost 2 minutes this season (one could argue that was deserved though).

If you watched the games last year, you cannot say "he sucks now". The guy had terrible puck luck. He hit a crap ton of posts, missed the net a lot, and just couldn't get a streak of points together to get his confidence up. He started the season well for the first 5 or 6 games then fell off completely.

He's scored at a .72 PPG pace for the last big chunk of his career, which works out to about 60 points for a full 82 game season. You do that once, it's a fluke. You do that for 4 season in the NHL, you are a talented winger.

This year was the anomaly, I don't understand how people can't see that. The guy is still one of the most offensively gifted players we have, and I'm pretty confident in his return to form this season.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I've been preaching this since the off-season started. Flash is a hard worker. Complain all you want about his play last season but it wasn't due to a lack of effort. The guy still came out and played hard, regardless of Dineen or Horachek putting him on the first line or the fourth line. He had his TOI cut almost 2 minutes this season (one could argue that was deserved though).

If you watched the games last year, you cannot say "he sucks now". The guy had terrible puck luck. He hit a crap ton of posts, missed the net a lot, and just couldn't get a streak of points together to get his confidence up. He started the season well for the first 5 or 6 games then fell off completely.

He's scored at a .72 PPG pace for the last big chunk of his career, which works out to about 60 points for a full 82 game season. You do that once, it's a fluke. You do that for 4 season in the NHL, you are a talented winger.

This year was the anomaly, I don't understand how people can't see that. The guy is still one of the most offensively gifted players we have, and I'm pretty confident in his return to form this season.

:handclap:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I wonder what's taking so long with Hayes contract? Hopefully this Pirri contract helps move along the process..I don't think there's a chance Hayes gets more than Pirri? Maybe he wants 1-way and Tallon is offering 2-way..?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I wonder what's taking so long with Hayes contract? Hopefully this Pirri contract helps move along the process..I don't think there's a chance Hayes gets more than Pirri? Maybe he wants 1-way and Tallon is offering 2-way..?

Yeah it could be.

Now knowing what Olsen and Pirri are getting, we know its going to be somewhere around that figure. Probably what Olsen is getting.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Hayes went to arbitration. Pretty sure the hearings haven't happened yet.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
This is likely the case. I'm sure DT has called Hayes' people to see if they can work something out before arbitration, but I think Hayes thinks the judge will award him what he wants so he wants to have the hearing.

Sorry to be the non-smart kid but whats arbitration? :laugh:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If the two sides (GM and player/agent) can't agree on a contract, they use an independent "judge" (not sure if this is the right word to describe that person) provided by the NHL to determine what's fair value. Both parties have a chance to present their proof on why they think they're right. Usually the judge settles around what's in the middle of those two concepts.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

It's much more common in baseball and football (only 23 players filed for it in the NHL) but it's essentially a dispute between the team and the player, where they disagree about the players worth. For example Hayes wants 1.3 million and the Panthers want to pay him 800k. The case goes to an arbitrator (think judge) who decides what Hayes should be paid (it's usually in the middle).

Edit: ^That's what I get for taking a while to type :laugh:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
If the two sides (GM and player/agent) can't agree on a contract, they use an independent "judge" (not sure if this is the right word to describe that person) provided by the NHL to determine what's fair value. Both parties have a chance to present their proof on why they think they're right. Usually the judge settles around what's in the middle of those two concepts.

Also, it's an ugly process. Rather have them come to an agreement before the hearing.

-ghoste

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
I liked what Pirri brought to the table in his short stint to end the season. His shot has been talked about plenty, but I was equally impressed with his puck possession and especially his passing. He can realistically earn a spot as a top 6 winger this year if he has a good camp IMO. I think DT came away with a steal here.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

You go in a room and go to battle with the other side on what you are worth (management vs players with a middle person mediator in this instance). The agent praises his clients attributes/compares stats versus relative skilled players and sets a price. Management bashes said player, and usually comes with low/low ball offer. Middle man then decides what said player is worth if salary is not agreed upon by both parties. These meeting(s) can turn ugly.

Does anyone remember past stories on these meetings? Be nice to read about during slow off season

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Does anyone remember past stories on these meetings? Be nice to read about during slow off season

Not many in hockey, but the one I know is where Milbury reduced Tommy Salo to tears.

Milbury took that to an extreme though when he went to arbitration with Tommy Salo. With Salo sitting next to his agent, Milbury began ranting about how bad he was directly to his agent: Claiming that he was one of the poorest conditioned players in the league, that he wasn't an NHL caliber goalie, and tearing into him in what is considered one of the most infamous arbitration rants of all time. According to reports, Salo left the room to use the bathroom, and when he returned it was clear that he had been crying.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012/5/17/3025978/mike-milbury-files-tommy-salo-new-york-islanders

These can get ugly, it would be nicer if he settled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad