Pirates Moving To Springfield

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
WCSH 6 ‏@WCSH6 23m23 minutes ago
RT @wcshsportsguy: **BREAKING** NEWS CENTER has learned The @PortlandPirates are leaving forSpringfield for next season. #mesports

Wow, didn't see this coming.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
I'm surprised that happened so fast.
Now I wonder where the LV AHL team is going to go, they were suppose to be in Springfield b/c of MGM.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
So much for that hockey hotbed that is Portland...should've known something like this would possibly happen based on the dealings with the arena a couple of seasons ago.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Does open up Portland for the ECHL. I don't know if I see an AHL team moving in there. I knew the AHL would go out of its way to make sure a team stayed in Springfield.

(9,000)

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Does open up Portland for the ECHL. I don't know if I see an AHL team moving in there. I knew the AHL would go out of its way to make sure a team stayed in Springfield.

(9,000)

Honestly, I wonder if this will open the door to the QMJHL. I know they've tried Maine before, but they have some really struggling franchises and nowhere left to go in Canada. Being the only part of the CHL without any American franchises, this might be an enticing spot to expand their footprint.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
I would bet great amounts of money that if Vegas gets an NHL team their AHL affiliate will be nowhere near Springfield, MA...
All I know is when the Sale of the Falcons first became public there a widely spread rumor was that if the Falcons left they might be replaced with the New AHL affiliate of the LV team, now it obviously isn't happening.

cape islander

Jul 20, 2003
Honestly, I wonder if this will open the door to the QMJHL. I know they've tried Maine before, but they have some really struggling franchises and nowhere left to go in Canada. Being the only part of the CHL without any American franchises, this might be an enticing spot to expand their footprint.

If the QMJHL could add about 4 US teams from former AHL cities (Portland, Manchester, Glen's Falls, etc. )it would really help attract top American prospects to the league and make the league stronger, ideally the Q could have a 20 team league made up of 10 Quebec based teams, 6 maritime and 4 US

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
If the QMJHL could add about 4 US teams from former AHL cities (Portland, Manchester, Glen's Falls, etc. )it would really help attract top American prospects to the league and make the league stronger, ideally the Q could have a 20 team league made up of 10 Quebec based teams, 6 maritime and 4 US

All good options. I think if the Q could catch on in Portland, a second crack at Lewiston might work out better than the first try. An intra-Maine rivalry could be big!

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007

Would love to see the Q go to Portland, and teams in the above cities would also wrap up those states as QMJHL territory, (NY being probably most important) whereas now players from there can sign in any CHL league, including the OHL. I am doubtful it will happen though.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
All I know is when the Sale of the Falcons first became public there a widely spread rumor was that if the Falcons left they might be replaced with the New AHL affiliate of the LV team, now it obviously isn't happening.

That just means I have lots of potential people to bet with and collect money from.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Would the USHL be interested in a market like Portland, Maine?

Would the USHL be interested? Yes.

Would the city of Portland be interrested when they can do much better with regards to leagues and talent level like an ECHL or QMJHL team? No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad