Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Man, I remember the good ole days like 2 seasons ago when multiple posters on this board couldn’t wait for this Pietro contract to expire so we could be rid of his curse. Good times! Perhaps Doug Armstrong is PerryTurnbullFan?!

Reactions: Em etah Eh

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant that the tweets are meaningless because they aren’t accurate of what we already know. Cam was talking about what JR and Strickland reported, but they were reporting that the Blues wanted him to accept 8x8 without knowing the structure. Not that it was just a flat 8x8. The other tweets were someone not knowing that LeBrun was speculating on a sign-and-trade, not trading his rights.

Signing bonuses and NMC are important. Huge money in the first two years is unlikely to be important and the structure of those Leafs contracts would not be beneficial to Pietrangelo. It’s better for him to defer money to years 3-6.
Honest question and not trying to intrude. But why is it better for him to defer money? The quicker you get money, the better you can make that money grow for you through investment vehicles even if you are using extremely conservative investment vehicles like AAA-rated bonds. Deferring money makes little sense unless you are getting interest on that deferred money (which isn't the case here).

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Honest question and not trying to intrude. But why is it better for him to defer money? The quicker you get money, the better you can make that money grow for you through investment vehicles even if you are using extremely conservative investment vehicles like AAA-rated bonds. Deferring money makes little sense unless you are getting interest on that deferred money (which isn't the case here).

They're decreasing the escrow amounts for the first 3 years of the new CBA.

Petro would go from having 20% of his contract held in escrow, to 6% of it held after the 2022-23 season. By getting a larger portion of the salary paid after escrow amounts have decreased, less of his contract will be paid towards the HRR split and lost should the league not achieve a 50/50 split.

Edit:
Article below breaks it down much better.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It’s been noted somewhere on the Blues board, but the gist of it is tied to the way escrow works and the impact of the flat cap on escrow. That all impacts the payout on contracts. The return rate on getting less money now versus more money later outweighs the return on investing less money now.

Someone more knowledgeable can detail the ins and outs of that, but that’s a summary to the best of my understanding.

blues80

Dec 10, 2018
He's using it as a form of no trade

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
We are 15 or 16 days away from free agency a lot can change between now and then. But the longer this goes on it doesn't look good on the Blues especially for Army. These are my honest thoughts. When was the last time a Stanley Cup winning team captain walked in free agency?? I can't think of anyone. This shouldn't even be happening in the first place. Army is already alienating the Captain with his hard line in the sand. Even though Petro isn't from St. Louis he grew up in the organization and is a world class player at his position. And he played a role in the team winning its first Stanley Cup. He is a player you should make exceptions for. Kicking that player to the curb who wants to stay because you won't budge on your principals which(In my opinion) Petro has earned every right to them.

It is simply not a good look on the Blues, What sort of message does it send to other members of the team and to other free agents. I believe the professional relationship between Army and Petro is fractured and beyond repair and I'm afraid Petro has already told Army to pound sand and checked out. Petro is good as gone as much as i didn't want it to happen especially under these circumstances.

Army better pull a rabbit out of his hat or else. His arrogance screwed the Blues and screwed over Petro.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Interesting there isn't more of talk about this.

Dom is respectful of viewing stats etc. This clearly shows how 'good shape' Pietro's contract will be in long term. And Pietro doesn't age like Backes or Saabrook etc. what people have noted in here and compared Pietro for them. :laugh::thumbu:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Next season escrow is capped at 20% and it's difficult seeing how it isn't at the maximum 20%. There is also a 10% deferral owed. So if his stated salary (including signing bonuses) is $10m in 20/21, then he's only seeing $7m of that.

When we get to 2022/23 then escrow is capped at 10%. So $10m then is going to be $9m, less any potential deferral. Let's go worst case and say there is a 10% deferral then as well, so $8m.

So getting money in year one then he'd need a 7% yield on investments this year and next to get to similar money as he'd be looking at in the worst case for 22/23. If there isn't a deferral in 22/23 and escrow hits the 10% cap, then he'd need a 13.5% yield.

Getting the money in years one and two isn't the advantage it normally is.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I just heard on NHL Radio while driving to work that the belief around the league is Petro has waived his No Trade Rights and several teams have already contacted the Blues about Petro's rights i can't believe this is even happening.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Good article here on TSN. Petro needs a big signing bonus and back end money to avoid the covid squeeze happening now.

The lesson remains true: Expect longer-term deals, those in the six, seven or eight-year range, to have a pronounced ‘hump’ in earning years in the middle. The key for agents will be to protect later-year earnings with signing bonus in order to lessen the blow of a potential buyout.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
hahahahaahahaha, Im reading this

LeBrun: Exploring the possibility of trading for Alex Pietrangelo's rights

However, if indeed things can’t be repaired, and the Blues captain is on the move, I do believe St. Louis would be open to trading his rights. But not for a pittance.
In other words, a third-round pick isn’t going to cut it.
If I had to guess, the Blues would ask for a first-round pick. I’m not sure there’s a team out there willing to pay that price. Would a second-round pick cut it? Or, given the salary cap constraints some clubs have, is there a roster player who could entice the Blues?

giphy.gif

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Good article here on TSN. Petro needs a big signing bonus and back end money to avoid the covid squeeze happening now.

The lesson remains true: Expect longer-term deals, those in the six, seven or eight-year range, to have a pronounced ‘hump’ in earning years in the middle. The key for agents will be to protect later-year earnings with signing bonus in order to lessen the blow of a potential buyout.
I get it and theres nothing unreasonable about it imo.

Army needs to get off his high horse and give Petro his bonus money. But I'm afraid the damage is already done.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t know if this works out or not, but there’s no real concern about bad blood poisoning the relationship. Armstrong has been respectful toward Pietro at every turn. Not talking to the media about this is one of the ways the Blues’ management team respects the players in negotiations.

Remember, Pietro held out last contract. But as soon as he rejoined the team there was no hint of any breach in the relationship.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
We have a mini Tavares situation here.

I have enjoyed watching that saga play out.

I always side with the underdog, so I've enjoyed watching the Islanders come out of that drama looking great.

Toronto...the New York Yankees of hockey. I have zero sympathy for that org.

If Alex wants in on that, good luck. We will survive without him. We will miss him, but we will survive.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I just heard on NHL Radio while driving to work that the belief around the league is Petro has waived his No Trade Rights and several teams have already contacted the Blues about Petro's rights i can't believe this is even happening.

I can.

Look, DA has been clear...death by a 1000 cuts is the team strategy. We will pay for very good players. If you want superstar deals look elsewhere.

I hope Alex stays, but if he wants too much, he can find that elsewhere. We protect the finances so that we can pay for and develop the next generation of talent.

Reactions: Blueston

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I can.

Look, DA has been clear...death by a 1000 cuts is the team strategy. We will pay for very good players. If you want superstar deals look elsewhere.

I hope Alex stays, but if he wants too much, he can find that elsewhere. We protect the finances so that we can pay for and develop the next generation of talent.
We aren't even offering Pietrangelo a deal consistent with our top past deal, so that argument carries no weight.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It’s possible that the signing bonus structure being a nonstarter is the Blues’ way of imposing an internal budget/cap. Yes, they continue to spend to the salary cap, but they are careful of the actual checks they have to write in a setting where team revenue is severely hampered.

At least the Blues got most of the season’s revenue, but they missed out on a lot of the post-Cup revenue boom they could have anticipated including another playoff run. If the season had not been disrupted, I have a hard time imagining the Blues going out in the first round. There would have been several home games with packed gates. Some other teams are hurting worse than the Blues. Dallas for example missed out on a deep playoff run and all the community enthusiasm that could have been fed fuel.

While some clubs are putting internal caps in place, furloughing employees, etc, one facet of this for the Blues may be the inability to budge on the bonus structure. A more manipulative GM might even sell it that way in the press to put pressure on Pietro.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don’t know if this works out or not, but there’s no real concern about bad blood poisoning the relationship. Armstrong has been respectful toward Pietro at every turn. Not talking to the media about this is one of the ways the Blues’ management team respects the players in negotiations.

Remember, Pietro held out last contract. But as soon as he rejoined the team there was no hint of any breach in the relationship.
What message this put out rest of our team? What about FA if they look how is handled their captain who bring their franchise 1st Stanley Cup? Does it look attractive?
Letting Backes out was reasonable and everybody were ok with that, but we're speaking dmen who is peaking now and is currently NHL top5 dmen.

You don't let go that caliber player out,'cus you don't agree bonus and security as NMC for that player.

He's this franchise face. There will be statue in front of Enterprice center when he retire as Bluenote.

Fans of St Louis Blues, go protest front of Blues office. Demand legacy. No Cup, No Pietro!

Reactions: Vollie27

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
If we can get a solid sign and trade then take it!!! I don’t want to pay Petro 8x8 or more. Especially in this uncertain covid situation.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leaf fan here and Pietro fan too (I have his signed junior stick when in Mississauga) ... always was and still is an all round top tier player ... he will resign in STL ... but unfortunately it has to go down ugly and to last minute before an 8 year deal is reached .. this is not a JT situation where JT was leaning Leafs but did not make his call until the day before ... Pietro, unlike JT, did not dream Leafs, his wife and family are not from Toronto and he only played in G to play against better players (but even then he did not chose da Marlies) ... he is a great kid and was always very mature ... my guess 8 years at 8.25M with some back end bonus money after COVID escrow is cleaned up

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leaf fan here and Pietro fan too (I have his signed junior stick when in Mississauga) ... always was and still is an all round top tier player ... he will resign in STL ... but unfortunately it has to go down ugly and to last minute before an 8 year deal is reached .. this is not a JT situation where JT was leaning Leafs but did not make his call until the day before ... Pietro, unlike JT, did not dream Leafs, his wife and family are not from Toronto and he only played in G to play against better players (but even then he did not chose da Marlies) ... he is a great kid and was always very mature ... my guess 8 years at 8.25M with some back end bonus money after COVID escrow is cleaned up
It also helped that his uncle coached da G team too

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I can.

I disagree. When was the last time a Stanley Cup winning team captain walked in free agency?? There never has been one

Petro played a impotant role in winning the Blues first Stanley Cup he also scored the cup winning goal. Petro is a world class player and and exactly the sort of player that a team should consider making exceptions for. Driving away a captain a year removed from winning a cup is a bad look on the franchise.

Petro leaves Blues aren't going anywhere. So enjoy your years of mediocrity.

Armys ego screwed the Blues window.

Reactions: Ranksu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad