Dreger: Pietrangelo to test UFA market

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
My inside sources from months ago that said he was coming home sent out some messages today saying the wheels are in motion to return to Toronto.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'd really like to give Doug Armstrong credit for making a difficult, unpopular decision to not make an expensive, long-term financial commitment to a 30 year old. Pietrangelo's one of the league's top defensemen right now, but he almost certainly won't live up to his next deal.

However, he recently traded assets for Justin Faulk and Marco Scandella - two inferior defensemen at similar ages - and then made fairly long-term & expensive financial commitments. I don't think this was planned. Moreover, I'd much rather have Pietrangelo than those two.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol the Leafs are going to sign Pietrangelo and still lose in round 1 :laugh:

How will they make the cap space for him work? I really can't see how any team willingly makes a deal with them to give them cap space just to sign Pietrangelo, unless the deal is really good for them.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Lol the Leafs are going to sign Pietrangelo and still lose in round 1 :laugh:

How will they make the cap space for him work? I really can't see how any team willingly makes a deal with them to give them cap space just to sign Pietrangelo, unless the deal is really good for them.

Reimer was drawing significant interest according to LeBrun and Andersen is a much better goalie than him...only 150K difference in real cash.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He's not transcribing anything.

There's no direct quote from LeBrun, and there's no source to what he posted. He could have completely made up what he tweeted.

He is....LeBrun had a hit on Leafs lunch and that's what he said. Check his tweets. He's been transcribing radio hits forever.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
tumblr_pg1sq1ZY0C1wnpo9io1_500.gifv

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I don’t get to see AP play up close very often. When I have he has been very steady but not dynamic. Great player. But what does he excel at? Where does he struggle? I know he captained a Stanley cup winner but how good is he? Top 5. Top 10. Top 20 D in the league?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I mean, Tavares got 11m and he’s not worth that money.

If Pietro asks for 11m there will be some team that offers that. Now it’s a matter of does he take the highest bid or does he take a bit less to play somewhere specific.

There’s a fairly sizeable age difference, despite everyone lumping them into the same category. Pietro will be 31 before or just after the next season starts. Tavares won’t be 31 until September, after 3 seasons on his contract.

$11m until he’s 37 is a lot to ask.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Strange, I definitely thought St. Louis would fit him in somehow
This is huge though if he hits FA - it's not often a top d-man like this becomes available. I hope Chevy throws everything he has at AP although I really doubt he'd want to come to Winnipeg. Toronto might work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad