Pierre McGuire on the FAN590

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
McGuire said the players has talked with are willing to play with a cap but they are PETRIFIED of the association.These players have felt that way since October but they are afraid of speaking out :shakehead

McGuire said he received a phone call from an NHL official(who McGuire considers a close friend)who is confident there will be a season :handclap:

McGuire said the player agents he speaks with are also petrified of the PA and they know there will be a link between salaries and revenue

Goodenow is a ***** :madfire:

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Does the NHLPA have any ties with the NJ/NY crime families? They're using the same tactics. :D

Sadly, it looks like the high-end-of-the-payroll players are using the average NHLer to line his own pockets.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I am pretty confident there will be a season also... I have said this all along. The majority will probably be mistaken, as per usual, but there is still the possibility of a year-long shut down, no matter how irrational it is.

Sammy*

RangerBoy said:
McGuire said the players has talked with are willing to play with a cap but they are PETRIFIED of the association.These players have felt that way since October but they are afraid of speaking out :shakehead

McGuire said he received a phone call from an NHL official(who McGuire considers a close friend)who is confident there will be a season :handclap:

McGuire said the player agents he speaks with are also petrified of the PA and they know there will be a link between salaries and revenue

Goodenow is a ***** :madfire:
I believe that if in fact the NHLPA is not listening & taking instructions from their constituents (& I have no idea whether they are or are not, but I suspect they are not), Goodenough should be removed.There are many, many players who are getting royally screwed by this, & at the end of the day the only guys who will likely come out at all ahead by reason oftaking such a hard line is the top 10%.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Each team elects a rep. That rep is responsible for speaking on behalf of the players on their team. If the players don't bother or are afraid to speak their opinions to the rep, they're responsible for the outcome. I find it hard to believe that 30 reps on 30 teams are promoting an agenda without involving their respective players wishes. If they are, then they'll have to answer for it later.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Sammy said:
I believe that if in fact the NHLPA is not listening & taking instructions from their constituents (& I have no idea whether they are or are not, but I suspect they are not), Goodenough should be removed.There are many, many players who are getting royally screwed by this, & at the end of the day the only guys who will likely come out at all ahead by reason oftaking such a hard line is the top 10%.

The same can be said for the NHL, who is not listening to the Leafs, the Red Wings, the Avs, and other wealthy teams. They don't want everything that the NHL is demanding.

That being said, good stuff to hear. I'm quite happy.

Soon we can all get back to hating each other based on what team we like, rather than our allegiance to the NHLPA/NHL.

(not that I ever stopped disliking any of you for not being Leafs fans...lol)

God bless hockey.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
After the scare tactics involving Anastasia-Priscilla yesterday, I fear that anything is possible. Rumor has it that all her ribbons and bows were shredded, and some goon wrote "MUTT" on her grooming table. Any responsible pet owner would give in when faced with that kind of tomfoolery. :eek:

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
TexSen said:
Won't be a season as Goodenow has too much support from players that are in Europe making decent money.

What??? Most players are playing for peanuts over in Europe! Also, most of them can't wait for the NHL to start up because they're tired of being over there. It's certainly not the paradise many would have thought.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
GregStack said:
The same can be said for the NHL, who is not listening to the Leafs, the Red Wings, the Avs, and other wealthy teams. They don't want everything that the NHL is demanding.

there are 4-5 wealthy teams that would probably like to see a luxury tax instead of a salary cap.It let's them keep the spending advantage their deep pockets give them.

I don't blame the remaining 25-26 teams, for not wanting to let these wealthy teams keep that type of advantage.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
TexSen said:
Won't be a season as Goodenow has too much support from players that are in Europe making decent money.

Yup. These guys are enjoying riding the bus and carrying their own equipment for the first time since juniors!!! I'm sure their wives are thrilled to death not having to deal with those extra zeroes on the cheque every two weeks too!!! :D

The one thing I find odd is how many have to quit/leave their teams due to personal situations back home?? There were never this many during an NHL season.......

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
CREW99AW said:
there are 4-5 wealthy teams that would probably like to see a luxury tax instead of a salary cap.It let's them keep the spending advantage their deep pockets give them.

I don't blame the remaining 25-26 teams, for not wanting to let these wealthy teams keep that type of advantage.

Well said. I love hockey, have since I was very young. But I loved baseball too, used to listen to it on the radio growing up in the 70's. Was excited for opening day, skipped school for it.

But treat us like second class fans and tell us that we should be happy getting to the back of the proverbial bus and we will go elsewhere to spend out dollars. Baseball did that and lost me forever. I love hockey but if it goes that route I will head elsewhere to another sport.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
CREW99AW said:

You're correct sir.

I was just pointing out that not all teams want everything Bettman is after, just like not all players want what the PA is after.

Wetcoaster

loudi94 said:
Each team elects a rep. That rep is responsible for speaking on behalf of the players on their team. If the players don't bother or are afraid to speak their opinions to the rep, they're responsible for the outcome. I find it hard to believe that 30 reps on 30 teams are promoting an agenda without involving their respective players wishes. If they are, then they'll have to answer for it later.

The reps are not - they are carrying out the wishes of the majority of the players. The NHLPA made sure that all the players are kept up to date supplying laptops and Blackberries as needed to the players that want them.

There are 750 NHLPA members - not surprising that there are some dissenting opinions and there is no potential $1 million fine to muzzle them.

Wetcoaster

Sammy said:
Goodenow will not be removed any time soon.

Goodenow and the NHLPA reps are very good at keeping the players informed. Goodenow makes sure that the Reps and the executive committee are always in the loop and he has been very clear - he works for the players. He has also been very clear he does NOT work for the agents. The NHLPA has made good use of technology and any player can log into the NHLPA website at any time to get updates or ask questions and their reps are always available. The NHLPA supplies laptops and Blackberries to players upon request.

If the players thought he was not doing a good job, a simple majority vote removes him. Given what he has accomplished and cleaned up the NHLPA in the wake of the the house union run by Eagleson, I think he has a rather sizeable bank of goodwill built up.

Thus far he has managed to come out ahead in every confrontation with the NHL and it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. Remember last time most pundits believed that the NHL had come out ahead in the 1994 CBA and look how that turned out.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
scaredsensfan said:
I am pretty confident there will be a season also... I have said this all along. The majority will probably be mistaken, as per usual, but there is still the possibility of a year-long shut down, no matter how irrational it is.
The majority will be wrong but not you , you have been the smart one all along. But wait, you then go on to say there is still the possibility of a year long shut. Well which is it? I wish that i had the wisdom and the vision you have and could somehow find my way to the smart minority where you reside. What is the website for this very intelligent minority you belong to?

Lanny MacDonald*

Wetcoaster said:
Goodenow will not be removed any time soon.

Goodenow and the NHLPA reps are very good at keeping the players informed. Goodenow makes sure that the Reps and the executive committee are always in the loop and he has been very clear - he works for the players. He has also been very clear he does NOT work for the agents. The NHLPA has made good use of technology and any player can log into the NHLPA website at any time to get updates or ask questions and their reps are always available. The NHLPA supplies laptops and Blackberries to players upon request.

If the players thought he was not doing a good job, a simple majority vote removes him. Given what he has accomplished and cleaned up the NHLPA in the wake of the the house union run by Eagleson, I think he has a rather sizeable bank of goodwill built up.

Thus far he has managed to come out ahead in every confrontation with the NHL and it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. Remember last time most pundits believed that the NHL had come out ahead in the 1994 CBA and look how that turned out.

And you know this how? You know what the NHLPA and its membership know? For a well informed group, they sure make some stupid stupid statements.

:shakehead

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
CREW99AW said:

wrong! it is the 4-5 wealthy teams that want the cap just as much. why? capped salaries = huge amounts of money. plus, without revenue sharing and a cap of 40 mill, small market teams will still have financial difficulties competing with the big boys.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I didnt catch the big announcement that he said TSN would make sometime soon. Anyone know what it was? He said it was concerning hockey and that he was very excited for it.

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
And you know this how? You know what the NHLPA and its membership know? For a well informed group, they sure make some stupid stupid statements.

:shakehead

Well, on another website, he says he's a lawyer and claims to have done agent work for the NHLPA.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
jericholic19 said:
wrong! it is the 4-5 wealthy teams that want the cap just as much. why? capped salaries = huge amounts of money. plus, without revenue sharing and a cap of 40 mill, small market teams will still have financial difficulties competing with the big boys.

the Leafs,Rangers,Wings,Avs have owners with such deep pockets and such strong corporate backing that they've been willing/able to spend anywhere from $20m-$40m over the league average.

I disagree that these teams want to give up the advantage their deeper pockets give them.

Several months ago Sportsnet had a good article about how the Leafs were signing their rfas/ufas and ignoring Bettman's warnings about keeping payrolls down.Toronto's response was don't blame them because other teams didn't have Toronto's deep pockets.In other words screw small market teams having financial difficulties and trouble competing with the big boys.The big boys were looking out for themselves.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
CREW99AW said:
the Leafs,Rangers,Wings,Avs have owners with such deep pockets and such strong corporate backing that they've been willing/able to spend anywhere from $20m-$40m over the league average.

I disagree that these teams want to give up the advantage their deeper pockets give them.

Several months ago Sportsnet had a good article about how the Leafs were signing their rfas/ufas and ignoring Bettman's warnings about keeping payrolls down.Toronto's response was don't blame them because other teams didn't have Toronto's deep pockets.In other words screw small market teams having financial difficulties and trouble competing with the big boys.The big boys were looking out for themselves.

...... and then what if there is a hard cap after Bettman warned them and they ignored the warning saying 'screw you' to the teams who took the warning seriously?

Come with hat in hand asking for mercy? Sort of like a kid killing his parents and then throwing themself on the mercy of the court because they are an orphan, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad