Pierre McGuire on the FAN590

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Jaded-Fan said:
...... and then what if there is a hard cap after Bettman warned them and they ignored the warning saying 'screw you' to the teams who took the warning seriously?

Come with hat in hand asking for mercy? Sort of like a kid killing his parents and then throwing themself on the mercy of the court because they are an orphan, isn't it?

maybe the leafs were gambling on a luxury tax being included in this cba or for current salaries to be grandfathered in :dunno:

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
crossxcheck said:
Does the NHLPA have any ties with the NJ/NY crime families? They're using the same tactics. :D

Sadly, it looks like the high-end-of-the-payroll players are using the average NHLer to line his own pockets.

The scare tactics used by the NHLPA union isn't terribly different from any other union. I remember actress Elizabeth Hurley got into big trouble for once working on a commercial she wasn't supposed to. I think it was SAG that was PO'ed at her.

It almost seems that all unions exert their power like that in one way or another. I'm trying to break into the film industry, which pretty much means I have to join one of the unions (may have to join a few). And union people tell me NOT to piss off the union. You just don't sort of do that thing if you want to keep working.Once your booted out, you're out.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Coffey77 said:
The scare tactics used by the NHLPA union isn't terribly different from any other union. I remember actress Elizabeth Hurley got into big trouble for once working on a commercial she wasn't supposed to. I think it was SAG that was PO'ed at her.

It almost seems that all unions exert their power like that in one way or another. I'm trying to break into the film industry, which pretty much means I have to join one of the unions (may have to join a few). And union people tell me NOT to piss off the union. You just don't sort of do that thing if you want to keep working.Once your booted out, you're out.

While I tend to agree, I'm not sure the Hurley analogy is a good one.
Hurley actually worked during a strike, pretty different from just speaking one's mind. And when the strike ended, Hurley didn't have to face off against large, club-wielding men who wanted to hurt her.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
While I tend to agree, I'm not sure the Hurley analogy is a good one.
Hurley actually worked during a strike, pretty different from just speaking one's mind. And when the strike ended, Hurley didn't have to face off against large, club-wielding men who wanted to hurt her.

Thanks. Couldn't remember the exact details. I think some SAG actors picketed wherever she went.

Not holding out much hope the season can be saved. Looks like both sides are STILL waiting for the other to crack. I hate that but that's the way it goes with negotiations.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
CREW99AW said:
the Leafs,Rangers,Wings,Avs have owners with such deep pockets and such strong corporate backing that they've been willing/able to spend anywhere from $20m-$40m over the league average.

The Leafs are owned by a Teachers pension plan. As such, they want to make as much money from the team as they can. Which means they must support the cap. I can't see why the teachers would have any compassion trying to live better old days because the average player will "only" get $1.3-1.5M...

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
GregStack said:
The same can be said for the NHL, who is not listening to the Leafs, the Red Wings, the Avs, and other wealthy teams. They don't want everything that the NHL is demanding...
Then why did the owners unanimously vote Bettman the special power to prosecute the salary cap campaign?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
misterjaggers said:
Then why did the owners unanimously vote Bettman the special power to prosecute the salary cap campaign?

Stay up to date, Richard Peddie was on the radio the other day discussing how he disagreed on a few aspects.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
GregStack said:
Stay up to date, Richard Peddie was on the radio the other day discussing how he disagreed on a few aspects.

UHhhuh, that's not the same as voting against giving Bettman the special power to prosecute the salary cap campaign....

SENSible1*

GregStack said:

Of course this naively ignores the incentive to Leaf brass of being seen as being "forced" into a cap.

Peddie to the public next year. "We'd love to spend the enourmous profits our fans fanatical support provides, but the NHL's new cap prevents us from doing so."

Peddie to the MLSE board. "Profits are up $25 M and our franchise value is skyrocketing. This new CBA is the best thing in the history of our beloved "cash cow...I mean franchise."

Last edited by a moderator:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RangerBoy said:
The agents are afraid the PA will ruin their businesses

The success or failure of the NHL is not dependent on the existance of a players' union

Lanny MacDonald*

go kim johnsson said:
The success or failure of the NHL is not dependent on the existance of a players' union

Smartest thing said in months.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
CREW99AW said:
Several months ago Sportsnet had a good article about how the Leafs were signing their rfas/ufas and ignoring Bettman's warnings about keeping payrolls down.Toronto's response was don't blame them because other teams didn't have Toronto's deep pockets.In other words screw small market teams having financial difficulties and trouble competing with the big boys.The big boys were looking out for themselves.
The ironic thing is in being totally selfish they screwed up noones chances except their own when they are stuck with lots of overpaid players when the cap comes in. :D

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
GregStack said:

A good example of hearing what you want to hear. I think you took that idiot Howard Burgers take on it and felt it was accurate. Listen to Peddie again. He never said he disagreed on anything. He said "I speak to Gary Bettman on a regular basis and share my views with him". Not once did he say he disagreed.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Smail said:
The Leafs are owned by a Teachers pension plan. As such, they want to make as much money from the team as they can. Which means they must support the cap. I can't see why the teachers would have any compassion trying to live better old days because the average player will "only" get $1.3-1.5M...

I thought the Teachers pension plan was just one of the leafs owners,that some supermarket chain owner was the majority owner, who controlled the team.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
misterjaggers said:

because the 4-5 wealthy teams(who'd benefit from a luxury tax instead of a salary cap),realized that the remaining 25/26 teams weren't going to be swayed,weren't going to agree to go with the luxury tax, over the salary cap.

Look at how a luxury tax has slowed baseball's wild spending-7 yrs/$119m for Beltran :shakehead

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
CREW99AW said:
I thought the Teachers pension plan was just one of the leafs owners,that some supermarket chain owner was the majority owner, who controlled the team.

Tannenbaum has the majority with a few others making the rest. He's in Constuction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->